What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investec Super 14 Round 2:: Fri :: Hurricanes 22 v Highlanders 17 @ Westpac Stadium

Investec Super 14 Round 2 :: Hurricanes v Highlanders

• Hurricanes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Highlanders

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

griffo346

First Grade
0,5001,6474516,00.jpg
VS
0,5001,6474512,00.jpg

Hurricanes:

15 Cory Jane, 14 David Smith, 13 Tamati Ellison (c), 12 Jason Kawau, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Daniel Kirkpatrick, 9 Piri Weepu/Alby Mathewson, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Scott Waldrom, 6 Faifili Levave, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Jeremy Thrush, 3 Neemia Tialata, 2 Dane Coles, 1 John Schwalger. Reserves: 16 Ged Robinson, 17 Jacob Ellison, 18 Api Naikatini, 19 Karl Lowe, 20 Mathewson/Willie Ripia, 21 Ma'a Nonu, 22 Conrad Smith.

Highlanders:

15 Israel Dagg, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Jason Shoemark (C), 12 Johnny Leota, 11 Fetu’u Vainikolo\Kendrick Lynn, 10 Daniel Bowden, 9 Sean Romans, 8 Steven Setephano, 7 Alando Soakai, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 Hayden Triggs, 4 Josh Bekhuis, 3 Clint Newland, 2 David Hall, 1 Chris King. Reserves: 16 Jason Rutledge 17 Anthony Perenise 18 George Naoupu 19 Tim Boys 20 Scott Cowan 21 Jayden Hayward 22 Kendrick Lynn\Brett Mather​

Referee:

Available Friday​

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
There is major disruption to the Highlanders line-up ahead of their match against the Hurricanes in Wellington on Friday.

Their two Southland leaders Jimmy Cowan and Jamie Mackintosh are out after sustaining injuries in their 31-33 loss to the Brumbies last week.
Highlanders captain Cowan has an elbow sprain while vice-captain Mackintosh is still out of action with a knee injury.
Fetu’u Vainikolo has been bracketed with Kenny Lynn on the left wing, with a final decision on who starts pending a misconduct hearing into Vainikolo after a bar incident.
Jason Shoemark will captain the team in the absense of Cowan and Mackintosh.
HIGHLANDERS: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Jason Shoemark (C), 12 Johnny Leota, 11 Fetu’u Vainikolo\Kendrick Lynn, 10 Daniel Bowden, 9 Sean Romans, 8 Steven Setephano, 7 Alando Soakai, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 Hayden Triggs, 4 Josh Bekhuis, 3 Clint Newland, 2 David Hall, 1 Chris King. Reserves: 16 Jason Rutledge 17 Anthony Perenise 18 George Naoupu 19 Tim Boys 20 Scott Cowan 21 Jayden Hayward 22 Kendrick Lynn\Brett Mather http://www.stuff.co.nz/4851799a1823.html

ozbash

Referee
Ma'a Nonu has paid the price for a lethargic opening round performance by being benched for the Hurricanes' clash with the Highlanders while Piri Weepu has yet to prove his fitness for the Friday night match in Wellington.

Weepu, who missed the loss to the Waratahs with an ankle injury, has been bracketed with Alby Mathewson for the halfback duties.
In a piece of good news the Canes are able to get Conrad Smith's season under way although that will come via the bench.
He will be sitting alongside Nonu there with Jason Kawau asked to step up to the second five-eighths role alongside centre Tamati Ellison who has also been handed the captaincy in the absence of suspended skipper Rodney So'oialo.
Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper has resisted the temptation to pair the All Blacks midfield of Nonu and Smith.
Nonu had a disappointing night in the loss to the Waratahs where he was subbed during the second spell. Arguably New Zealand's most consistent back last year in a season where he played every test for the All Blacks, he made little impact against a strong Waratahs defence.
Not that Nonu was alone on that count in what was a poor backline effort for much of the match.
As expected sevens star Victor Vito steps up to play at No 8 to cover the loss of So'oialo who sits out the match after being banned for dangerous play against NSW.
Cooper has given a vote of confidence to young first five-eighths Daniel Kirkpatrick.
Called in late last week when Weepu was ruled out, the young No 10 had a solid debut and has done enough to hold his place.
With Mathewson in good form at halfback there had been expectation that Weepu might be asked to partner him in the halves.
But if he does come through this week, Weepu will be wearing the No 9 jersey.
Lively wing David Smith steps up to operate on the right touch line in place of Zac Guildford.
Lock Jeremy Thrush gets a starting role after making good impact off the bench last Saturday with Bryn Evans out of the match 22.
HURRICANES: 15 Cory Jane, 14 David Smith, 13 Tamati Ellison (c), 12 Jason Kawau, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Daniel Kirkpatrick, 9 Piri Weepu/Alby Mathewson, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Scott Waldrom, 6 Faifili Levave, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Jeremy Thrush, 3 Neemia Tialata, 2 Dane Coles, 1 John Schwalger. Reserves: 16 Ged Robinson, 17 Jacob Ellison, 18 Api Naikatini, 19 Karl Lowe, 20 Mathewson/Willie Ripia, 21 Ma'a Nonu, 22 Conrad Smith.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4850859a1823.html

Alehana

Juniors
Hurricanes to win this, altho i'll be going for the Highlanders, i would really like to see Api get a run, hes a superstar in the making, keep an eye out for him, altho Levave is awesome too. interesting to see Nonu on the bench i didn't think he played that bad, Jason kawau for nonu is a wierd substitution bit like a first grader and second grader, altho highlanders arn't that good a team so i guess its kinda justified. great to see David smith aka excitment machine back, hopefully he'll get some tries.

Alehana

Juniors
i didn't c the game, but from what i heard its either Highlanders r playing well, kinda close but no cigar thing, or the hurricanes are just well below their potential.

sad to see hurricanes not doing so well, coz they had a really good squad, plenty of depth and talent, an abundance of riches in their catchment area for S14, yet they r not living up to it, altho its still early they were my pick to win this thing or perform the best NZ team, but i'm liking the tahs chances this year, luck goes their way and they r playing well.