What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irwin to join Raiders in 2007

aussies1st

Staff member
It's official

Exciting backline player Steve Irwin has become the latest player to join the Raiders for next season, after he agreed to a new two year deal with the club today.

Irwin is a former Brisbane Bronco, who is currently playing for the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls in the Queensland cup, but said he is ready for a return to the NRL.

“I am very happy that the Raiders have given me another chance to play in the best competition, and I’m looking forward to moving down to Canberra as soon as I can,” Irwin said.

Irwin spent some time in Canberra earlier this month when the Broncos played the Raiders at Canberra Stadium, and said he was impressed with what the club had to offer.

“The set up at the Raiders is outstanding and I was very excited about the way they run things down there,” he said. “I have also spoken with Neil Henry and he seems like a genuine Coach who knows his football.”

Irwin has a connection with some of the Raiders current first grade squad, as he played with both Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Craig Frawley at the Broncos, and said he is looking forward to meeting the rest of the Raiders squad.

“The Raiders are a team that is going places and I’m very happy to be a part of that,” he said. “They have a great young squad so the future is exciting.”

Raider’s general manager Don Furner said Irwin will be a welcome addition to the Raiders squad in 2007, and will hopefully follow in the footsteps of other players that have made the step up from the Queensland competition.

“Our sources have told us that he is the form centre of the Queensland cup so we are happy to have him coming on board.” Furner said. “We’re confident that Steve will develop here at the Raiders in the same way that Adam Mogg and Phil Graham have, and we believe we have the right structure and coaching staff to make this happen.”

http://www.raiders.com.au/season/news/06081504/

parra pete

Referee
Mmmmm.....or as has been posted before...... Crikey!!!!!!

'Get me a crocodile sandwich...and make it snappy' :lol:
Steve will be a good pick up for the Green machine. I like the way your team is coming together for 2007. Fresh blood, some great kids and an exciting new coach wanting to get his team playing attractive football. Raiders fans, I think you are in for the time of your life over the next couple of seasons. I can see the Raiders becoming the Wests Tigers of, maybe not next year, but certainly 2008 as Michael Weyman, Phil Graham, Todd Carney and William Zillman start to assert their obvious ability.
The Club should be commended for resisting the temptation to rush Zillman into NRL this season. He will play a huge role for Cappy in the Premier League final series and the experience he gains from that will be invaluable in 2007 and beyond. :clap: :clap:

Timbo

Staff member
Good signing. Not the marquee player we were hoping for but bolsters our strength out wide.

What I like about our 3/4 line, is that all of the players (barring perhaps flying Phil) are equally skilled and not garunteed selections.

Guys like Howell, Purtell, Irwin, Goodwin, Chalk, etc. will have to outplay each other or face the axe.

thickos

First Grade
Crikey!

I'd say Henry will have kept an eye on him in the Qld cup, he has played NRL so I don't mind this signing.

Macko8

Juniors
solid signing, the name rings a bell but i havent exactly seen him play.
Anyone have a description of him, tall , short???solid build? lanky?
anyone?

Whitty

Juniors
Good player in Qld Cup, tall yet solid centre with good pace for a bigger fella. Compares with Mogg. Better than Frawley. Not quite the all round player that Fuluvai was :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lime_Green

Juniors
From the one match I saw him play, I'd say the most appropriate word to describe him would be 'cocky'.

Can you imagine the pranks that will be played on Croc next season??

I can see one of the boys stashing a snake in his locker...