What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 2021 hanging by a thread?

giboz71

First Grade
It's unfortunate we are decimated as we could have had a good run these next few weeks with a good draw.

Injuries and suspensions was always the risk as we have zero depth. Our top 17 on the park is good enough to make the 8 this year, standard is very low below the top 5 or 6. We should be beating those teams easily, but we haven't had our strongest side on the park since Round 3.

since77

Juniors
Flushing McGregor’s stink out of the team was always going to take time.
The one thing I really wanted this year was to be able to say they had a crack each week and they’ve done that.
They’re still dumb though.
Injuries and suspensions have hurt.
I liked what I saw in the dressing room after the Sharks game. Hook has begun to remove the McGregor stink but he started with a basket case of a team.
I think we’ll be one of those teams in the running for 8th spot come the final few rounds. We ARE on the improve, some of the naysayers have to realise this year is a rebuild and that they are going to stumble a few times along the way.
Next year is the year to make a true judgement.

redv13

Bench
Why do some people think that not WINNING the premiership is a failed season ?? Ffs only 1 team can win each year!!
Agree. People can shout me down and say I’m accepting mediocrity BUT at the start of the season every man and their dog had us running stone motherless last! All this premiership talk is rubbish. I’ll be stunned if the premiers comes from outside of Penrith or Melbourne. Parramatta have their moments but Saints and Manly both showed that they can be vulnerable with a very physical opposition.

Souths have copped 50 from both Melb and Penrith but at full strength when they click who knows. Easts I think are done and Manly are 1 injury away to Tommy T and they’ll struggle to make the 8. The gap between the top 3/4 and the rest is bullshit.

If Saints are still fighting for the bottom of the 8 with a month to go then it’s been a successful season considering 2019/20.

Crush

Coach
It's unfortunate we are decimated as we could have had a good run these next few weeks with a good draw.

Injuries and suspensions was always the risk as we have zero depth. Our top 17 on the park is good enough to make the 8 this year, standard is very low below the top 5 or 6. We should be beating those teams easily, but we haven't had our strongest side on the park since Round 3.
To be though, not many sides are at full strength throughout the season.
Plus, two sides to every coin.
We beat Cows without Tamaloua
We beat Knights without Ponga
We beat Manly without Turbo
I think we can agree those players are their respective teams best players by far and with them in the their sides they win many more games.

And thats just the games we won.
The ones we have lost the opposition has had plenty out too! Storm, Roosters....

This Year?

Immortal
I don't think we'll win enough games to make the finals this season, but as long as they have a go then I won't be too disappointed.
We need to blood our depth/junior players with next season in mind and reduce games/minutes of players we aren't keeping.
Need to start building combinations on both sides of the ball.

giboz71

First Grade
To be though, not many sides are at full strength throughout the season.
Plus, two sides to every coin.
We beat Cows without Tamaloua
We beat Knights without Ponga
We beat Manly without Turbo
I think we can agree those players are their respective teams best players by far and with them in the their sides they win many more games.

And thats just the games we won.
The ones we have lost the opposition has had plenty out too! Storm, Roosters....

Yep, luck has plenty to do with it. We needed some and got it early on with some of the early wins, but it's bitten us hard now.

We've had more bad luck than good this year. We could be missing 7-8 front liners next game, in a side not blessed with much talent as it is.

TruSaint

Referee
Finishing in the 8 would be a great season.

I think only Penrith or Melbourne can win the comp.

Can't believe the free pass Souths are getting from the media. Most had them up there with Penrith. The "pride of the league" have leaked 50 twice. Since the announcement that Reynolds is leaving, they have imploded.

Chooks will be there abouts again. Parra will need to wait again.

There will be a cluster of 7-8 teams fighting for bottom 8 spots only to be sent out by cricket scores.

Finishing anywhere from 8th to 10th would be decent.

More interested in what we build for 2022. That starts with selling off deadwood.

The Badger

Juniors
Making the finals may be beyond us this year.
Time to clear the team of players that we won't be keeping (unless cover for suspension/ Injury) and get some games in for the young ones.

If Sullivan is not ready start by moving Amone to 6.
1.Lomax
2.Ramsay
3.Feagai
4.Feagai
5.Ravalawa
6.Sullivan/Amone
7.Hunt
8.Vaughan
9.Mcculoch
10.Lawrie
11.Burns
12.Sims
13.Bird
14.Maguire
15.Fuimasaala
16.Fuimaiono
17.Dufty

blacksafake

First Grade
It is certainly a 2 horse race with the top 2.
Injuries & suspension has likely finished our aspirations of a semi berth. We need some troops back, sooner than later to give ourselves a shot at 7/8 th.
Should manly lose Tom, Titans a couple, warriors RST they’ll be in the same boat as us.
As for the panthers should they lose Cleary & Fisher-Harris they’ll come back to the field.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that for the Dragons to make the semis this season is beyond them . Injuries and of course far too many suspensions have all but sealed the team’s fate for 2021 .

What RedV13 has said that it would not be a failure is correct , I believe that many of us understood that at the beginning of the year - how many of us said that If we could advance from 13th on the ladder then it would be a success - I did .

But to ensure that it proves to be just that , then Griffin must swing the axe on those players whom have not performed consistently , however these changes will not take effect until we once again have a full compliment of players .

Finally if the team can continue to play with as much heart and commitment as they did on a Friday night , then at least we shall know that next year will be far better for all Dragon supporters .

Illusion

Bench
Agree that for the Dragons to make the semis this season is beyond them . Injuries and of course far too many suspensions have all but sealed the team’s fate for 2021 .

What RedV13 has said that it would not be a failure is correct , I believe that many of us understood that at the beginning of the year - how many of us said that If we could advance from 13th on the ladder then it would be a success - I did .

But to ensure that it proves to be just that , then Griffin must swing the axe on those players whom have not performed consistently , however these changes will not take effect until we once again have a full compliment of players .

Finally if the team can continue to play with as much heart and commitment as they did on a Friday night , then at least we shall know that next year will be far better for all Dragon supporters .
Hook will lose me old mate if he resigns The Show Pony .....

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I think we're ok, despite all the injuries and suspensions, there are some good signs from our team in these losses, as others have said the effort is there and our defence is good compared to the last few seasons.

Personally, I don't think we'll make the 8 but it certainly helps having teams like sharks, raiders and titans being way out of form giving us a small window despite being spoon favourites. This year to me is more or less setting up for next season and beyond so scraping into the 8 is a bonus.
hate just being ok but hey I got spoiled young.

Lovemedragons

Juniors

we're starting to sound like old Bears supporters or bunnies before Crowe

Maddragon99

Juniors
Being an optimist there are a bunch of winnable games coming up. Manly will be tough if Tom is playing & well Penrith will be a flogging. But if we can scratch together 3 or 4 wins before we get Lomax, Dufty, McGuire & Fuimaono back then we’ll definitely make the eight. But 3 or 4 losses will leave us well off the pace.

The other issue is Norman, he’s got to go without Dufty we need more creativity from the 5/8 position.

matPORTS

Juniors
Just copying my post from last weeks match thread (with a few changes/updates included)

We have been gutsy in all games so far this year in my opinion, and will need to continue being gutsy over the next month with the injury and suspension lists both growing. Can't fault our effort at all in all games, win, lose or draw.

We have to be realistic. We are going to be lucky finish any higher than any of those bottom three spots in the top 8 and we will be a sitting duck should we make it to week two of the finals anyway. We need to be thinking about the future - and hopefully this difficult period (the next 4-6 weeks) gives opportunity to the up and comers. Now is definitely the time to be blooding the players of the future.

Despite only a short amount of time on the field so far, I am looking forward to seeing how Jaiyden Hunt continues to develop in addition to the Feagais, Amone, Billy Burns and Ramsay at the back.

When Dufty returns from injury, he should be at six and Norman out (happy to have Clune on the bench or at least as 18th man in case things do fail).

Team for Week 12 vs. Tigers (I've dropped Kerr out as he will be suspended - still unsure who isn't going to make it due to injury or concussion protocol):

1. Ramsay
2. Pereira
3. Bird
4. Amone
5. Max Feagai
6. Clune
7. Hunt

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Burns
12. Sims
13. Faamausili

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. J Hunt
17. Ford

18. Norman

Future Team (assuming full strength - there may be some selection headaches once we get past this difficult period of time):

1. Ramsay
2. Pereira
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Dufty
7. Hunt

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Burns
12. Sims
13. Fuimaono

14. McGuire
15. Kerr
16. de Belin
17. Clune

18. Faamausili
19. J Hunt
20. Alvaro
21. Ford
22. Ellis
23. Max Feagai
24. Matt Feagai
25. Norman
26. Williame
27. Amone
etc etc etc

Maddragon99

Juniors
Just copying my post from last weeks match thread (with a few changes/updates included)

We have been gutsy in all games so far this year in my opinion, and will need to continue being gutsy over the next month with the injury and suspension lists both growing. Can't fault our effort at all in all games, win, lose or draw.

We have to be realistic. We are going to be lucky finish any higher than any of those bottom three spots in the top 8 and we will be a sitting duck should we make it to week two of the finals anyway. We need to be thinking about the future - and hopefully this difficult period (the next 4-6 weeks) gives opportunity to the up and comers. Now is definitely the time to be blooding the players of the future.

Despite only a short amount of time on the field so far, I am looking forward to seeing how Jaiyden Hunt continues to develop in addition to the Feagais, Amone, Billy Burns and Ramsay at the back.

When Dufty returns from injury, he should be at six and Norman out (happy to have Clune on the bench or at least as 18th man in case things do fail).

Team for Week 12 vs. Tigers (I've dropped Kerr out as he will be suspended - still unsure who isn't going to make it due to injury or concussion protocol):

1. Ramsay
2. Pereira
3. Bird
4. Amone
5. Max Feagai
6. Clune
7. Hunt

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Burns
12. Sims
13. Faamausili

14. Ellis
15. Alvaro
16. J Hunt
17. Ford

18. Norman

Future Team (assuming full strength - there may be some selection headaches once we get past this difficult period of time):

1. Ramsay
2. Pereira
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Dufty
7. Hunt

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Burns
12. Sims
13. Fuimaono

14. McGuire
15. Kerr
16. de Belin
17. Clune

18. Faamausili
19. J Hunt
20. Alvaro
21. Ford
22. Ellis
23. Max Feagai
24. Matt Feagai
25. Norman
26. Williame
27. Amone
etc etc etc

Maddragon99

Juniors
I like your week 12 team very similar to mine, but I’d have Norman at 17 to cover for an injuries & Ford starting at lock I thought he went pretty well last week.

We desperately need the win so I hope we play accordingly.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I think two games have stuffed us …..the game we lost to the Warriors and our disaster against Melbourne. We don’t have the depth with so many out. Tenth.

Latest posts