What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 2023 the year?

lacking a dominant prop.
13 needs to change.
better luck with injuries.
Team needs better challenges than they got this year, we coasted through many games like they were training runs.
Yes you can only play what is presented but we lacked many acid tests, particularly for the lead into the finals.
This would test nichos game management under pressure.
I don't see nicho as our long term 7.
Maybe 6 or 1.
Bench utilisation could have been better.
defence was brilliant for most of the year but when it mattered it fell right away.
The benchmark is high let's hope they can keep it up.
Comparison now shifts from Fitz v Morris to Fitz season 2 vs Fitz season 1.
Team performed overall how I thought they would, as bottom of the 8 candidate.
we overshot on ladder position in the end.

Inferno

Coach
2023 certainly could be our year.

Finishing 2nd this year shows that our performances were certainly no fluke and we certainly proved we can match it with every single team on our day.

I think the changes that need to be made are coming up with a plan B in attack. We played very lateral this year which was often successful but at times we struggled dealing with a sliding defence and on those occasions we tended to have a hard time scoring points. I think we also need more kicking options. Aside from Hynes we have too few attacking kicking options.

On the same point we need more in attack out of BB. He has been a mainstay of the side for some time but I just don't think we're getting anywhere near enough in attack out of him. He's not super quick, he doesn't really have the size to bust tackles and while he's a stout defender that alone isn't enough. We got all those things from his rugged older brother and I don't think we can really say that choice has turned out to be right (or to be fair wrong) yet.

I think we also need to sort out our forward pack and bench rotation. We don't have a big pack and we have some old stagers like Finucane and Graham who are going to have to be managed better.

I think our discipline this year was pretty poor at times, I can't recall a year in recent times where we had so many players suspended.

We also probably just need to have a better year with injuries. We lost Jack Williams, BHU, Katoa and Kennedy for extended periods of time and also lost other players at crucial times like Sifa and Hunt.

I am not sure if the players took much out of this finals series but we probably also need players to get more rep footy or big game experience.

We don't actually have a huge number of origin players or players with GF/prelim final experience in our squad I don't think. Hopefully some get some decent experience through the world cup and are less likely to panic in finals footy next year.

Next year will be a tougher comp. The Eels lose a couple of decent players, but no one else that made the 8 is taking a backwards step squad wise. The Storm will be an interesting side with sizeable turnover of players but you'd be brave against Bellyache being able to turn some into worldbeaters. The Broncs will probably be better next year and Manly at full strength are a very different proposition.

The team should be aiming for the top 4 and anything less is probably underachieving given where we finished this year.

Last edited:

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Not a lot needs to change imo. Looking forward to seeing Iro and Dykes becoming regular first graders next year. Also keen to see what Jesse and Hazleton can offer. Not much quality on the market and is a bit inflated with the inclusion of the dolphins. The difference between '22 being a good or great season was the last 10 mins against the cows. I like Kafusi as well. Leave the wrist slitting to the Goons and Tigers fans.

Stop trying to score off every single play and rushing passes which would lead to less dropped ball which then leads to better field position which then leads to more points, if you can't do that then go play for Leeds (see what i did there ho ho ho.. sorry)

Quicksilver

Bench
Our forward pack can lack punch. I'm not totally against a more mobile style pack, but we probably need another big bopper.

I'm 50/50 on nicho at halfback. He seems to have a lot of leadership qualities so I'm happy to see how it plays out over time. Probably also comes down to what halves partner becomes available. I'd take a top 6 to accompany him over a shit house 7.

Johnny Lawrence

Juniors
Mostly we need to work on patience. Earn the right to go sideways, play for repeat sets. Build the pressure and burn the other side out so our defensive structures can really shine.

A fitz defence against a fatigued attack.

Frenzy.

Immortal
If we can replicate this year I’ll be happy, premierships arnt everything top 4-6 finish with good week to week footy will keep me happy.
2016 still has a few years of reward left before I get desperate for another win.

There's something in this, big picture wise. The Sharks should have, and probably do now, the goal of being a consistent top 4 team. Do that and premierships will come.

R-15-3

Bench
If you build a consistent team it only takes 2-3 players to burst onto the seen, some good calls, low injuries to make it a genuine premiership team.

Take this year if we had a rookie prop and fullback burst on the seen and dominated, katoa injurie free and the odd extra call go out way we would be in the GF.
or the flip side Penrith,South’s lose a few to form and injury and then your consistent top 4 team is again a genuine shot.

Frenzy.

Immortal
If you build a consistent team it only takes 2-3 players to burst onto the seen, some good calls, low injuries to make it a genuine premiership team.

Take this year if we had a rookie prop and fullback burst on the seen and dominated, katoa injurie free and the odd extra call go out way we would be in the GF.
or the flip side Penrith,South’s lose a few to form and injury and then your consistent top 4 team is again a genuine shot.

Not to mention, and this is a brave call, The Storm are sliding.

Frenzy.

Immortal
This is mainly a team view

In response to the question, of which there have been many good replies, for me the first thing is to improve ALL the players we have. There's not much new blood coming and there won't be a sudden buying spree for 2023. I can only see The Sharks in the market for a prop and the 2 we are looking at are pricing themselves too high. They'll also buy some second tier fillers and elevate a few Jets.

So, largely, the improvement has to come from within. Fitz, the technician, and the club will have a review for sure. Individual shortfalls and team weaknesses will be identified and addressed with a view to making current systems and players more robust, Areas such as composure (patience, as mentioned), attitude, choices made in game, resilience, fitness and skills are areas that cost the team not only late in the season but throughout the season when it's all said and done. The semis highlighted all this and the latter season games masked them because they were winning. I don't think these shortfalls would have been hidden from the coaching staff though. I'd be surprised if one or two aren't put on notice and placed in the shop window.

I don't see the gameplay changing much unless the sharks can find a lunatic prop who takes the team forward and takes no shit. Then some hard work has to be put in by Hazelton, Colquhoun, Pele, Uele junior and the other emerging props. To be frank, I didn't see much aggro in any of them throughout the year. I think Colquhoun can be a Carrigan type player for The Sharks when he gets his confidence, skills and assertiveness levels up but that is probably 50 games away at least.

Birdie said you can only play what you are presented. Conversely, you can only present to the opposition what you've got. Without lambasting individuals I reckon what we had to present was pretty much unbalanced and that's where the achievement to finish second after the round robin is high. That lack of balance can actually reduce performance as others have to perform at levels they can't manage to make the balance and maintain it.

I also accept what some have said about earning the right to play Ippy ball but we didn't have the forwards to do it to be honest and for mine the big boppers we did have were, for whatever reason, lacking in a few areas and really didn't give enough minutes to the cause. In the majority of games for the majority of minutes the Sharks had a pack of midgets on the field. It should be remembered though that the club DID chase props for 2022 but came up short.

Injuries, suspensions, illness and form slumps all happen of course, but I'm not considering them for this rant because this is about next year when whoever runs on in March 2023 would be expected to be fit and healthy and there are some who wouldn't fit into those categories perhaps that would like to be better.

Not to mention, and this is a brave call, The Storm are sliding.
Be nice to see them well outside the top 8 for a few years. Could be a situation albeit on a lesser scale when Bellamy finishes up like when Alex Ferguson retired from Man Utd and they've never looked the same since.