What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a ball playing fullback required?

1st & 10

Juniors
Should a fullback have playmaking abilities? A big yes. I was Always taught a 1 must be able pass both sides and back up his ball playing forwards to utilise the speed a 1 must also have

A 1 must be able chime in both sides of the field, thus must pass both sides and have field awareness

SBD82

Coach
Should a fullback have playmaking abilities? A big yes. I was Always taught a 1 must be able pass both sides and back up his ball playing forwards to utilise the speed a 1 must also have

A 1 must be able chime in both sides of the field, thus must pass both sides and have field awareness
We know Mann can ball play on the left side.

We are about to find out if he can do it on the right too.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see all of our squad skilled with the ability to side step left and right, run fast, pass the ball left and right, to read the game well, to kick with either foot and to tackle with good technique.
Unfortunately we rarely see such a player. Maybe a National Rugby League Academy would be a good start where all of these skills are addressed for players - boys and girls - aged 13-15.

Mann seems to have all the skills to be a great fullback in time. He will not immediately replace the valuable contribution Dugan brings to the team however, in say a year or two, I believe the Dragons would be fighting very hard to retain him. I'd say he could easily become our Boyd of 2010. The only restraint in achieving this would be willingness and capability of our coaching staff to take in under their wing and spend time and resources to develop him. A suitable mentor would be a great start.

Minh

First Grade
Great thinking Mihn.
Of course if he goes as well as French how good would that be.

Even though he's small, I don't know why opposition teams still keep targeting French with the high ball, he's as safe as a bank under the high ball which is a must if you are a smaller winger or else you will get exposed. I guess a high ball close to the try line in a catch and score situation might be effective against him but a highball in general play he just swallows them. French is an excitement machine an a terrific defender for a little guy too.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Even though he's small, I don't know why opposition teams still keep targeting French with the high ball, he's as safe as a bank under the high ball which is a must if you are a smaller winger or else you will get exposed. I guess a high ball close to the try line in a catch and score situation might be effective against him but a highball in general play he just swallows them. French is an excitement machine an a terrific defender for a little guy too.
Dont know if you go back as far as me Minh but Canterbury had a very small fantastic fullback in Les Johns jeez he was reliable, tough and was great at running the ball back. Having said all that Im probably thinking young Mann may go ok.....if he does then would like him to be told soon he will get first crack so in the off season he can bulk up a little bit more ..not to much.....you see Im in two minds on one hand Im suggesting maybe a smaller fullback may cope with the task (Dufty)..and on the other hand Im suggesting Mann bulks up a little bit...

Last edited:

Datramp

Juniors
Mann is a similar build to Slater. In fact Wiki has him as 5cm taller and 1kg heavier than Slater.

Is anyone going to argue that Slater is too small for FB? Prob the very same people that would have argued Thurston was too small for NRL

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Mann is a similar build to Slater. In fact Wiki has him as 5cm taller and 1kg heavier than Slater.

Is anyone going to argue that Slater is too small for FB? Prob the very same people that would have argued Thurston was too small for NRL
Jeez that surprises me re Manns weight against Slaters...he looks a lot slighter..if thats right then theres no argument from this end....as I said I hope he gets a crack at fullback but more importantly hes told about it early enough to get his mindset right....because hes been stuffed around up untill now with Mary as far as positions are concerned....if that happens and along side his new contract Im sure he will feel at home in the side now and grow another leg

getsmarty

Immortal
Jeez that surprises me re Manns weight against Slaters...he looks a lot slighter..if thats right then theres no argument from this end....as I said I hope he gets a crack at fullback but more importantly hes told about it early enough to get his mindset right....because hes been stuffed around up untill now with Mary as far as positions are concerned....if that happens and along side his new contract Im sure he will feel at home in the side now and grow another leg

Agree...he has 1 bad game at fullback and the coach banishes him. Like all younger players there is a learning curve...they make mistakes because that's part of the process. A great coach knows how to minimize the damage and build the players skill set and confidence at the same time.

Can't wait til we sign a great coach. LOL

giboz71

First Grade
We've set the scene for someone to grab the FB spot for 2018. Mann has been re-signed, Dufty and Field are both plying their trade in the Cutters. We're in exactly where we should be.

Come pre-season 2018, hopefully one of these 3 guys makes a compelling case to be FB. I have hope that at least one will put their hand up.

I'm genuinely excited of the possibilities a new FB and a bona fide half will bring. I've loved what Duges has done the past 4 years, but we've hardly been successful with a ball running 100kg plus FB chiming into our backline. The possibilities with Hunt, Widdop, one of Mann, Field or Dufty at FB should make us all excited.

I am not counting out Herbert as a number 1 candidate either.

He has played that position numerous times at SG Ball and Under 20's level.

Drag Queen

Bench
With his speed he can probably do a Bevan French and start out on the wing, there is still a place for small speedy wingers in the game.....
Maybe in touch. Hope he proves me wrong. Nil defence is a worry. No organisational skills is a worry. He has to lift his game mate.