What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

fourplay

Juniors
Ch9 want to renegotiate to pay less because they realised they stuffed up letting Foxtel have the 6pm game, which affected their ratings for the 7:30 game as the viewers just stay on Fox..

colly

Juniors

Cactus

Juniors
This SkyNews video is very much worth the 4 minutes, to see how others inside the media see Hugh and Channel 9 and their latest disgraceful road blocking from yesterday.

This sums up most of my thoughts on the current situation and I suspect many of you guys aswell:

Channel Nine uses COVID-19 to negotiate a new broadcasting deal with the Rugby League
23/04/2020|5min
Sky News host Paul Murray says “Channel Nine and its executive, Hugh Marks, are now standing in the way of Rugby league returning” to play in an “opportunistic” bid to negotiate a new broadcasting deal. "Currently there exists a five-year Rugby League agreement between the sport, Foxtel and Channel Nine”. However, the Sydney Morning Herald reported Channel Nine “is determined to finalise arrangements around a potential three-year broadcast extension before it concerns itself with the details of this year”. Mr Murray said “so halfway through a five year deal they are using a pandemic and hiding behind the skirt of nurses to deny you the chance to look forward to something after a week locked up at home.” Mr Murray said “they did a deal, they signed a contract… and you don’t just randomly change it halfway through”. "You certainly are not in a position to turn around and say if you don’t pay me more money or if you don’t give me more exclusive games then I won’t approve the return of Rugby League". “If Rugby League doesn’t happen on May 28 it will be because Channel Nine wants a new deal, halfway through the one they already negotiated and signed," he said.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6151565283001

* This same post also in the Corona NRL thread

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t think many are fooled by the smoke screen of “player welfare”. It’s clear Ch9 are using the situation to try and renogtiate the contract. Time will tell if the nrl feel money in the bank long term is worth a hit in revenue over the next 5 years. One thing it might do is make future contracts shorter as the tv world is changing rapidly. If this one doesn’t get extended I can see a scenario of the next contract being 3 or 4 years.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don’t think many are fooled by the smoke screen of “player welfare”. It’s clear Ch9 are using the situation to try and renogtiate the contract. Time will tell if the nrl feel money in the bank long term is worth a hit in revenue over the next 5 years. One thing it might do is make future contracts shorter as the tv world is changing rapidly. If this one doesn’t get extended I can see a scenario of the next contract being 3 or 4 years.

I do not believe for a second that the interest payments on any loans will cost more than the money lost is a new tv deal.

If the NRL extend, it is either some brilliant plan to go hard on streaming or Vlad is an insider selling whatever he can to his owners...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Oh no we cant have Rugby League clash with Ireland Vs Bangladesh on GEM.

Do they honestly believe the T20 World Cup will still be on?

I personally wouldn't care too much even without COVID-19.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Personally I'd love to see cricket have to compete with the NRL and AFL, I think it'd give a lot of people a massive reality check on just how popular cricket actually is...

Diesel

Referee
Cricket has taken a hit, especially since they signed over ODI’s and iT20’s to Foxtel and overstated the BBL

Heisenberg

Juniors

I’d be leaning to say it won’t be on. Australian borders are unlikely to be open to international visitors this year. Might be able to have NZ come here for a few games but I’d reckon that’s about it.

Personally I'd love to see cricket have to compete with the NRL and AFL, I think it'd give a lot of people a massive reality check on just how popular cricket actually is...

I'd like to see the BBL vs NRL vs AFL crowds and TV ratings averages.

Ave attendance club crowd 2019 (2019/20 for BBL):

AFL 36,317 (source Wikipedia )
BBL 18,353 (source Wikipedia)
NRL 15,804 (source Wikipedia)

This doesn't include state or natonal rep crowds either (ODDI, SS, Tests, ODI, T20, Kangaroos, State of Origin, 9s)

Last edited:

69-05-41

Juniors
Love the photo of Joey Jockstrap and Freddy Fellatio engaging in jovial banter above at post #386. Nein commentators or Terrance and Phillip impersonators?

Have always respected Ricky Stuart... now he’s gone up even further in my estimations..

From Sporting News (can’t post link)...

In an extraordinary tirade, Stuart told The Daily Telegraph ‘Channel 9 doesn’t like the Canberra Raiders’.

The ex-Australia half-back then went a step further, questioning the NRL’s longtime broadcast partner’s love of the code.

“Actually, from communication over the last month, I don’t even think Channel 9 like rugby league,” he told News Corp

davi

Juniors
Here is the whole article here. People can call Ricky Stuart a whinger but on this he is right, how can the Raiders make the Grand Final and only have three games scheduled on free air TV. Who wants to sponsor the Raiders, Titans, or Warriors when there teams will never appear on free to air TV for the public not to mention their fans in Australia getting duded.

The sad part is the NRL won't step in and put a clause in the contract for a minimum number of games for these teams. Because its in the NRL interests for Nine to maximise the ratings as well as they can as it creates a stronger bargaining chip in broadcast negotiations. Nine would also blow up if they don't get control on what games they can choose to broadcast which they think will maximise the ratings.

"Ricky Stuart says he won’t be backing away from his explosive attack on Channel 9 over the lack of free-to-air games given to Canberra in the revised NRL draw.

A furious Stuart went to war with Nine on Thursday when he told The Daily Telegraph that “Channel 9 doesn’t like the Canberra Raiders” — and he even questioned if the game’s host broadcaster “like rugby league”.

But in a small win for the Raiders, the NRL has now agreed to fly them on a chartered flight direct to Bankstown Airport for so-called “home” games at Campbelltown.

It will still mean the Raiders have the longest travel time to home games of any team, but at least this does cut back on the six-hour round road trip it would have taken by bus.

Canberra had asked the NRL to allow them to stay the night before Campbelltown games at a nearby hotel but that was knocked back because isolation protocols.

The Raiders have been told the reason they can’t play in Canberra is due to biosecurity measures, although there is a conspiracy theory that it is also a lot cheaper not to have to send the TV trucks and the circus that goes with it to Canberra.

While the Raiders are the competition favourites and last year’s grand finalists, being on the road every single week for 18 rounds will make it a huge ask for Canberra to aim up to the expectation.

Even allowing for the chartered flights, it is still going to be long game days every weekend.

While the Warriors have been forced to relocate to the Central Coast at least their “home” games are in Gosford, and both Melbourne and North Queensland have been granted permission to play at their regular grounds.

No team will be travelling more than Canberra with Newcastle’s games also in Gosford, which is only one hour down the freeway.

And in the midst of COVID-19 restrictions appearances on free-to-air are also a huge bonus for clubs trying to promote sponsors and their brand name.

Though the fact that the Raiders are one of the competition’s most exciting teams to watch has won little credit.

In fact, the Raiders will only get three Channel 9 matches for the season while only wooden spoon contenders Gold Coast and the Warriors are worse off with one.

Cronulla also get three Nine games while up the other end of town Brisbane get 15, Parramatta 13, Melbourne and South Sydney 12, the Roosters 11, Newcastle nine, Penrith and North Queensland eight, St George Illawarra seven, Manly and Wests Tigers six and Canterbury five.

This excludes yet-to-be advised Channel 9 Saturday night simulcast games for the finals six rounds.

Asked by The Daily Telegraph to respond to his club’s lack of free-to-air games, Stuart didn’t hold back: “Look, to be quite honest, I wouldn’t know if we are on free-to-air or pay TV. It doesn’t really concern me. I am not commercially minded.

“But in respect to our appearances on Channel 9 it is pretty much the same every year for us. But where is the reward for our sponsors and our fans to watch us on free-to-air after making the grand final last year?

“Ever since I’ve been back in Canberra this has been very common and shows me that Channel 9 doesn’t like the Canberra Raiders.

“Actually, from communication over the last month, I don’t even think Channel 9 like rugby league.”

Stuart added that he could not sit back and say nothing when his club was continually disrespected: “I have an obligation to my club and our fans to stand up for what I feel is right and fair.

“And when I think the Canberra Raiders are being unfairly treated I will say so. In this instance we have not been fairly treated in my opinion.

“In this current climate, when you can’t have members and fans at your games and your sponsors are backing you even when they are doing it tough, I have an obligation to say something.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...b/news-story/f1f2746261dc45aa9898356cf5c4eb24

Here is the whole article here. People can call Ricky Stuart a whinger but on this he is right, how can the Raiders make the Grand Final and only have three games scheduled on free air TV. Who wants to sponsor the Raiders, Titans, or Warriors when there teams will never appear on free to air TV for the public not to mention their fans in Australia getting duded.

The sad part is the NRL won't step in and put a clause in the contract for a minimum number of games for these teams. Because its in the NRL interests for Nine to maximise the ratings as well as they can as it creates a stronger bargaining chip in broadcast negotiations. Nine would also blow up if they don't get control on what games they can choose to broadcast which they think will maximise the ratings.

"Ricky Stuart says he won’t be backing away from his explosive attack on Channel 9 over the lack of free-to-air games given to Canberra in the revised NRL draw.

A furious Stuart went to war with Nine on Thursday when he told The Daily Telegraph that “Channel 9 doesn’t like the Canberra Raiders” — and he even questioned if the game’s host broadcaster “like rugby league”.

But in a small win for the Raiders, the NRL has now agreed to fly them on a chartered flight direct to Bankstown Airport for so-called “home” games at Campbelltown.

It will still mean the Raiders have the longest travel time to home games of any team, but at least this does cut back on the six-hour round road trip it would have taken by bus.

Canberra had asked the NRL to allow them to stay the night before Campbelltown games at a nearby hotel but that was knocked back because isolation protocols.

The Raiders have been told the reason they can’t play in Canberra is due to biosecurity measures, although there is a conspiracy theory that it is also a lot cheaper not to have to send the TV trucks and the circus that goes with it to Canberra.

While the Raiders are the competition favourites and last year’s grand finalists, being on the road every single week for 18 rounds will make it a huge ask for Canberra to aim up to the expectation.

Even allowing for the chartered flights, it is still going to be long game days every weekend.

While the Warriors have been forced to relocate to the Central Coast at least their “home” games are in Gosford, and both Melbourne and North Queensland have been granted permission to play at their regular grounds.

No team will be travelling more than Canberra with Newcastle’s games also in Gosford, which is only one hour down the freeway.

And in the midst of COVID-19 restrictions appearances on free-to-air are also a huge bonus for clubs trying to promote sponsors and their brand name.

Though the fact that the Raiders are one of the competition’s most exciting teams to watch has won little credit.

In fact, the Raiders will only get three Channel 9 matches for the season while only wooden spoon contenders Gold Coast and the Warriors are worse off with one.

Cronulla also get three Nine games while up the other end of town Brisbane get 15, Parramatta 13, Melbourne and South Sydney 12, the Roosters 11, Newcastle nine, Penrith and North Queensland eight, St George Illawarra seven, Manly and Wests Tigers six and Canterbury five.

This excludes yet-to-be advised Channel 9 Saturday night simulcast games for the finals six rounds.

Asked by The Daily Telegraph to respond to his club’s lack of free-to-air games, Stuart didn’t hold back: “Look, to be quite honest, I wouldn’t know if we are on free-to-air or pay TV. It doesn’t really concern me. I am not commercially minded.

“But in respect to our appearances on Channel 9 it is pretty much the same every year for us. But where is the reward for our sponsors and our fans to watch us on free-to-air after making the grand final last year?

“Ever since I’ve been back in Canberra this has been very common and shows me that Channel 9 doesn’t like the Canberra Raiders.

“Actually, from communication over the last month, I don’t even think Channel 9 like rugby league.”

Stuart added that he could not sit back and say nothing when his club was continually disrespected: “I have an obligation to my club and our fans to stand up for what I feel is right and fair.

“And when I think the Canberra Raiders are being unfairly treated I will say so. In this instance we have not been fairly treated in my opinion.

“In this current climate, when you can’t have members and fans at your games and your sponsors are backing you even when they are doing it tough, I have an obligation to say something.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...b/news-story/f1f2746261dc45aa9898356cf5c4eb24

Thanks. Those stats on televised games per club are extraordinary. No surprises Brisbane lead it, they admittedly do have the biggest single audience of any club I’d think to 9 would pursue their games - always have always will..

But indeed for the Raiders it’s flat out embarrassing...