What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

franklin2323

Immortal
I am getting concerned with Cleary's coaching skills. Elliott had a decent record before coming here. Like Elliott we don't have a plan b, c & d if we get injuries or struggle.

As the year goes on we aren't improving. Silly mistakes & errors are still there. Except for a handful of players we have the same squad next year.

We don't seem to change our gameplan for the players we have. We don't make changes to a struggling team.

Bob

Juniors
I am getting concerned with Cleary's coaching skills. Elliott had a decent record before coming here. Like Elliott we don't have a plan b, c & d if we get injuries or struggle.

As the year goes on we aren't improving. Silly mistakes & errors are still there. Except for a handful of players we have the same squad next year.

We don't seem to change our gameplan for the players we have. We don't make changes to a struggling team.
In short no he isn't, he inherited a sub standard roster and a terrible culture that Elliot allowed to grow, things will get better we just have to be patient

franklin2323

Immortal
So what's he done to fix it? Why play these same players that do the same stupid things? Apart from Taumata and Achurch the team yesterday will be at the club next year. That's very scary given the performance. Des Hasler came without the roster he wants. Yet found a style of play to fit what he has. We haven't changed anything

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
He'll never get you to a premiership though

Elliott was the same. Same excuses. To be fair he punted Priddis, Wesser, Puletua etc. So far Cleay's done nothing like that The problem was he lost Wallace and Gower the same year

Last edited:

Bob

Juniors
So what's he done to fix it? Why play these same players that do the same stupid things? Apart from Taumata and Achurch the team yesterday will be at the club next year. That's very scary given the performance. Des Hasler came without the roster he wants. Yet found a style of play to fit what he has. We haven't changed anything
The change has started with the lower grades and as they say change takes time, having some of our best players resist the changes hasn't helped Ivan either, injuries haven't been kind to us either and our salary cap problems are well documented,
I in no way am satisfied with our position on the ladder but the only way for us is up

And Skinner he will win us a premiership

MacDougall

First Grade

Why where are Achurch and Taumata going?

franklin2323

Immortal
The change has started with the lower grades and as they say change takes time, having some of our best players resist the changes hasn't helped Ivan either, injuries haven't been kind to us either and our salary cap problems are well documented,
I in no way am satisfied with our position on the ladder but the only way for us is up

So if the players resist send them to Windsor or out the door. We have an average roster granted but we can have a good defence line.

Do the little things like scoots from dummy half, Run to the 20m line for taps, Don't concede so many penalties, Do some set moves from scrums in the attacking 20m. etc.

Sure we will still lose games but should be a good 3 wins better then we are currently.

MaxPower

Juniors
We have the worst squad in the comp, a ton of injuries, and a culture of mediocrity. If on field results aren't considerably improved next year, only then will i wonder if Ivan is the man for the job.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Do not rate him at all.

He seems to run a efficent back office, professional, disciplined.

But when it comes to selections, how his team plays and bringing through juniors, below average IMO.

Had a team full of Kiwi internationals, wonderful juniors, and one GF appearence to show for it, under achieved in a big way IMO.

Just my opinion.

franklin2323

Immortal
We have the worst squad in the comp, a ton of injuries, and a culture of mediocrity. If on field results aren't considerably improved next year, only then will i wonder if Ivan is the man for the job.

I don't disagree we have a weak roster. Over the course of the year we have shown no improvement what so ever. Injuries is fair enough but Simmons in the centres :lol::lol::lol:.

On of many strange selections this season. Defence is terrible that could atleast show signs of improvement even without Walsh it's no better.

Obviously this year's a write-off, but I'm not prepared to call Cleary a dud at this stage. John Lang didn't exactly have a bright start to coaching career at the Panthers (and he had some big names in that '02 side signed-up including Priddis and M.Lang). Our crippling injury toll has not helped us one little bit.

Given that we've already made four big-name signings for next year (Plus Shackelton although he hasn't been signed for next year at this stage), if we DON'T make any impact next year with those signings, then I will start to seriously question his credentials.

franklin2323

Immortal
The problem with relying so much on the new signings what if they spend time off the field? Segeyaro's leg may take longer to heal. Manu's had injury problems in the past. We could end up with virtually the same team again next year. The regular's from this year don't change for next year.

That's what concerns me. They have had all year together & can't play the coaches style. Or the coach can't get a style to suit. So why is he not changing things up?

Dogmatix

Juniors
Ivan Cleary is overrated as a coach

When he won a premiership with the Roosters lower grades the Roosters had an amazing roster. They had a stack of Origin players in first grade and plenty of future first graders in the lower grades. Then he went to NZ who also have plenty of depth and only came up with a 50% coaching record. He is an average coach at best and probably a bit below average

age.s

First Grade
I think the only reasonable answer at this stage is "it's too early to tell."

We know the culture under Elliott was lax and lazy, and there's too much that was just never going to be fixed this year, not to mention the bog average roster he inherited. I've been pretty happy with how Cleary has handled the squad this year. He hasn't been afraid to drop the big names when he sees a reason to do so, and I think he'll have a good effect on the professionalism of the squad. He's stuck with a few average performers a bit longer than I would like, but it's got nothing on the Purtell situation. The only real criticism I have on him is choosing Coote over Gordon, however briefly, at the start of the year.

Next year is where I'd be wanting to see significant improvement, this year I just want to avoid the spoon. The question is whether Gould will pull the trigger if we're still in the same hole in 2014. That will be the real test of whether we've come a long way for no result.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get me wrong I didn't think finals was a realistic goal. I thought however the 9 wins of last year should be a bare minimum target. I can't see us getting there.

Our roster does have holes. However we have had the 6,7,9 for 3 years so they know each others game. 3 SOO players. McKendry a current test player. Coote in emerging blues and City Fullback.

To be 6 points behind 3rd last is under performing. Especially when those teams have rosters no better then ours

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Coote,Burns,Walsh and Kingston are solid First Graders...No stars in that lot.

Until we find a marquee in that spine we will struggle.

maple_69

Bench
I'm reserving my judgement until the end of next year when Cleary has something resembling his team, and something resembling a strong squad.

I fully expected us to be somewhere from 13th-16th before the season started. I guess the biggest disappointment so far has been the amount of games we just haven't been in. We've been belted a lot. The other thing is not unearthing any semblance of a halves pairing.

Delboy

First Grade
As a Parra supporter, amazing that the 2 clubs are experiencing similar seasons and results

Cleary and Gould = Kearney and Anderson, not that I think they are equal (Parra fans would swap in a heartbeat) , but do both clubs need a culture change given their success at junior level hasn't translated to the NRL in the recent past

Latest posts