What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is gids too small for lock?

Noname36

First Grade
I don't think he's too small, but he wouldn't be as good at lock as Houston, and maybe not Hilder either (due to his work rate). Lock is certainly an option for Gids though. I much prefer that than having him in the halves.

Saying that though, that'd probably be the smallest spine to ever grace a football field. Apart from Henry they're all pretty small in comparison to some players in their respective positions.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
House
Hilder
Edqards
Taufua
Cook

All ahead of Kurt in the lock position.

He isnt too small, but we lose alot by shifting him there.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Saying that though, that'd probably be the smallest spine to ever grace a football field. Apart from Henry they're all pretty small in comparison to some players in their respective positions.

It maybe be short, but they are definately no light weights. Gidley isnt exactly a defensive liability. Not too sure moving him to lock would be the wisest move though at this stage in his career. Fullback or Hooker for mine.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
I don't think he's too small, but he wouldn't be as good at lock as Houston, and maybe not Hilder either (due to his work rate). Lock is certainly an option for Gids though. I much prefer that than having him in the halves.

Mullen would be the strongest half by far. Gallen charged over the advantage line on Sunday yet Mullen took him down one on one upfont on a couple of occasions. That takes immense strength.

He ain't small, he's an ox.

Noname36

First Grade
^ Yeah, sorry I am talking height. I'm not saying they're not strong (especially not Mullo and Gids), just that as a whole, we seem to have a lot of smaller players in our key positions. I personally don't think it's an issue for us at all, but a lot of coaches do go for size over all else. I remember Smithy once saying something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how talented your key players are, they need to have enough size too".

With Boyd and Soward and the likes at Saints though, I doubt it's an issue for Bennett.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Boyd, Mullen and Henry would all be in the top 5 largest players in their positions, i don't think it's a small side. It'll be interesting what happens. Fact is Mullen is the only player guaranteed to even be in that spine come 2012. Funny fact eh. Gids, Ike are both off contract, Boyd ain't signed and Henry is a 3 game rookie.

For all we know

1. Morseua
6. Boyd
7. Mullen
9. Fien

might be what we end up with.

I don't think Lock is a position he is suited for (would put many others ahead of him) but I think it's a number that could be assigned to his back to get him on the field and have the usual role of Lock mostly assigned to someone else.
Wherever he plays means a sacrifice or compromise somewhere else.

knights98

Juniors
This may seem like a stupid idea, I was thinking about how tall Henry is, something like 6f4" I think I heard ( haven't really seen Him in person). Not sure of his weigh but beef someone that height up 5-10kg he could be a devastating ball playing lock or second rower and could probably cover any position in the backline if injury called for it.

And that way Gidley could be 5/8 or if we did sign Boyd either could be 5/8 or fullback.

Might be a stupid idea but though I'd put it out there

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Henry has the skills and frame to be able to mould himself into a number of different positions. He also has age on his side. If it is true that Bennett doesn't really rate him as a 5/8 than he may like to try him elsewhere on the park. Lock like you suggest, or I was even thinking in the centres, could be somewhere that he ends up in his career at some stage. Either way, it will be good to see what Bennett has in mind for the team in 2012 and beyond.

aqua_duck

Coach
Beau Henry is 6'2, never thought of him as a backrow prospect but he certainly has the frame, might take a few years though

Latest posts