What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Idris set to leave us?

Panther Pete

Juniors
An article in today's Tele (yeah I know, it's only the Tele) claiming he may have played his last game for us. Apparently other clubs are after him and the Tele understands Panthers aren't opposed to letting him go due to our young backs coming thru.

hindy111

Post Whore
Smart move IMO - He would not be cheap and why risk losing Waqa or Jennings at his expense. He may not cut it in the forwards either.
With a backline including whare jennings x 2 DWZ moylan-waqa-mansour i reckon he is not needed. Looking further ahead mansour IMO will be the next gone if he wants big money. Good go forward but slightly over rated.

TheFrog

Coach
They've quoted Gus as saying it's up to Jamal whether he remains a Panther or remains a first grade player, words to that effect.

Reading between the lines, it seems Gould is alluding to his fitness levels and maybe attitude as well. Idris always seemed a tad unfit to me, kind of Brad Izzard style. He could be the most damaging player in the game if he got his act together, but something is holding him back.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not upset at any outcome to be honest. I'd like him to stay and develop into an impact second rower, but if he leaves it just frees up cap space to go for a half or front rower.

We have Moylan, Mansour, Gennings, Rennings, Blake, Whare and DWZ to try fitting into 5 back line spots, eventually we can take Moylan and move him to half but it still leaves 6 players and 5 spots.

That's not even looking at guys who could end up pushing for a spot in the next year or two. We are set in the back line for years to come. We have so much talent and they're all young with their best footy ahead of them.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sad to say it, but I in the happy to see him move on camp.

We have others who ultimately provide as much if not more than Jamal.

GongPanther

Referee
An article in today's Tele (yeah I know, it's only the Tele) claiming he may have played his last game for us. Apparently other clubs are after him and the Tele understands Panthers aren't opposed to letting him go due to our young backs coming thru.

Can't find the article on NEWS.com.au or on a engine search with Idris' name.

Can you give us a link?

Or if you read it in the paper,which heading of the story was it?

Thanks...

Nifty

Juniors
Can't find the article on NEWS.com.au or on a engine search with Idris' name.

Can you give us a link?

Or if you read it in the paper,which heading of the story was it?

Thanks...

JAMAL Idris may have played his last game for Penrith.

The former Test and Origin superstar has been approached by rival NRL clubs and the Sunday Telegraph understands the Panthers are amenable to granting Idris an early release from his contract, which expires at the end of 2016.

Idris suffered a ruptured ACL injury last month, ruling him out for the season.

The 24-year-old is undergoing rehabilitation following his knee reconstruction.

He has also battled alcohol issues and depression, which has hindered his ability to fulfil has massive potential on the field.

Penrith have rising stars Waqa Blake, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and George Jennings in their squad, so can adequately cover the centre position that Idris occupies.

Idris takes up a significant amount of Penrith?s salary cap, and should the club consider releasing him early, it will free them up to retain off-contract stars or poach other players.

Penrith?s general manager, Phil Gould, could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

Idris joined Penrith from the Gold Coast with much fanfare last year.

Early in the season, he was stood down from the club to deal with his personal problems.

Following a stint in a rehabilitation program, Idris bounced back to fight his way back into first grade and finish the season strongly.

At the start of this year, Idris underwent spinal surgery, removing veterbra and fixing nerve damage in his back.

He returned to the field but in the round six clash against Manly on April 11, Idris tore the anterior cruciate ligament on his knee, an injury that requires full reconstruction and generally sidelines players for the entire season.

On his day, Idris can win games single-handedly, which is why he was chosen to play for NSW in 2010 and Australia in 2011.

Idris won the 2009 Dally M rookie of the year while he was at the Bulldogs and was touted as a better prospect than Israel Folau.

The Panthers shocked the competition last year by making the semi-finals, but they have made an average start to 2015, winning just four of nine games.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...game-for-penrith/story-fnp0lyn3-1227349160463

GongPanther

Referee
Thankyou,Nifty.

I'm a bit at a loss at this article.

He had suffered a ruptured ACL,yet other clubs want to talk to him even when he has not recovered from a season ending injury?

I mean,a season ending injury you usually put out the feelers in how the guy has actually responded to the rehabilitation before you go in and test the waters.

Unless the Panthers/Gould actually respond to the Tele in regards to this,I'm calling it a page-filler.

But you know the war of words between the two journos at each paper.

TeamSatan

Juniors
I think he will go...Its just that he needs a team that can use him to balance their squad.

He will never be a great backrower and speed is what every team needs now.

He did his best for us...best wishes Jamal.

maple_69

Bench
If Jamal goes along with Docker and Manu we may be able to get an offer in for Cornish which I think would be a great move. Otherwise a Mose and Jackson Hastings type half back combo. Wonder who would be interested in Idris.

Doomednow

Bench
Not surprising but not great news either. We can talk up our young talented back line all we want but Jamal had tries in him and we scored zero on Friday.

I won't be too upset if we lose him to keep others, but he is a valuable player and has earned that reputation. He will be missed.

Big Mick

Referee
If Jamal goes along with Docker and Manu we may be able to get an offer in for Cornish which I think would be a great move. Otherwise a Mose and Jackson Hastings type half back combo. Wonder who would be interested in Idris.

I'd be after Cornish no matter what.

IMO he's on the outer. He isn't getting any media.

His asking price is low for what his potential is.

I think he just needs to get out of Canberra tbh.

He has Austin and now Sezer in front of him. He doesn't have a future there.

If I'm Gus, knowing what we have and knowing that Will Smith / Issac John likely wont be retained...then I'm on the phone to Cornish asap - at worst he is a NSW Cup halfback and at best he can unseat Wallace and be the halfback we need.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd be after Cornish no matter what.

IMO he's on the outer. He isn't getting any media.

His asking price is low for what his potential is.

I think he just needs to get out of Canberra tbh.

He has Austin and now Sezer in front of him. He doesn't have a future there.

If I'm Gus, knowing what we have and knowing that Will Smith / Issac John likely wont be retained...then I'm on the phone to Cornish asap - at worst he is a NSW Cup halfback and at best he can unseat Wallace and be the halfback we need.

I don't think we are after halves. I thought we are waiting for May and Cleary to develop? Scarlett should do a decent job in the meantime. and Forwards in the short term are a must

I do rate Cornish though. I'd imagine Manly will go hard for him

Latest posts