What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time for a full scale boycott of News Ltd papers?

RoosTah

Juniors
We've now endured a full week of what can only be described as a full scale attack on Rugby League by all the News ltd media outlets in this country. At every opportunity the Murdoch lackies have sunk the boot into both the administration and the game itself.

Most disappointing has been people like Matty Johns, Mark Gasnier and Braith Anaster. We could expect the sort of tripe being served up by AFL ambassador Rebecca Wilson, and stooges like Kent, Rothfield, Richie and Hooper, but from these former players it has truly been pathetic.

But what all of them have shown to a man/woman is that they only care about their own skins and News ltd signed paycheques. The panic in the voice of the likes of Johns in particular betrays his hollow rhetoric about the "good of the game" - we know based on the FACTS that have been reported in the Fairfax media and on the ABC that the deck is stacked against News ltd more than League - and yet people like Johns think they can fool us into supporting their transparent agenda to both destroy the current administration and reverse the game's hard fought independence.

We now know that Murdoch actively will wage war on behalf of Victorian Rules in Rugby League heartland, so the lies, false sense of panic and smear will continue on our game. So I put it to you that ANY AND ALL self respecting Rugby League fans must stop buying all News Limited newspapers from this point on.

We need these assholes to understand that this war isn't between them and just the NRL, but between them and all fans of our great game.

Wizardman

First Grade
I will definitely stop buying news limited publications (The Courier Mail) from today. Im seriously thinking about cutting Foxtel as News Limited have really got under my skin over the past week. Im leaning heavily towards cutting it at the end of the season......would definitely cut it once the new channel nine deal comes into effect.

some11

Referee
Yeah but souffs were right to be kicked out and never should have been let back in.

LESStar58

Referee
No News publications (sorry, Harper Collins) websites or media of any sort for me going forward.

Glad 20th Century Fox have nothing to do with the new star wars films too because I wouldn't be seeing them otherwise and I'm a huge star wars fan!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Have had my own boycott for a while. Would like to see it be league unlimited policy for an official boycott, at the very least the news publications if fox sports is a step too far at this stage for some.

strong_latte

Juniors
who buys newspapers today ?

More people than you'd think, but the demographics is more 40 and over I think.

I would support a boycott, but sadly the people you'd need to reach wouldn't use forums like this I don't think.

All the same, Murdoch has shown utter contempt for our game this past week and I do hope rugby league people cancel their subscriptions to his shitty papers as a result on their own accord.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
No News publications (sorry, Harper Collins) websites or media of any sort for me going forward.

Glad 20th Century Fox have nothing to do with the new star wars films too because I wouldn't be seeing them otherwise and I'm a huge star wars fan!

A Melbourne fan boycotting News Limited? That will do me! :lol:

ram raid

Bench
I don't think they will notice if 9 people stop buying their paper. I think you should email what you wrote to a few of their editors.

bileduct

Coach
A boycott wouldn't achieve anything because these papers already lose money.

What seems to work these days, however, are social media campaigns that spam the shit out of their Facebook pages, comment sections, etc. letting them know what people think about what they are doing.

RoosTah

Juniors
I don't think they will notice if 9 people stop buying their paper. I think you should email what you wrote to a few of their editors.

I might do that too.

I recognise doing this here is a little futile, but I can barely express the depths of utter loathing I now feel for News ltd as a result of this week (and I didn't like em much to begin with). Just had to get it out because their campaign against our game has just been f**king disgusting and they should be made to pay with a loss of readers.

RoosTah

Juniors
A boycott wouldn't achieve anything because these papers already lose money.

What seems to work these days, however, are social media campaigns that spam the shit out of their Facebook pages, comment sections, etc. letting them know what people think about what they are doing.

Hahaha yeah well if you think that'll work let's try that too!

bileduct

Coach
Hahaha yeah well if you think that'll work let's try that too!
Also, remember you can get at these "journalists" directly through their twitter accounts.

As long as you keep it respectful you can still tell them exactly what you think about them and what they do as often as you like.

elbusto

Coach
Also, remember you can get at these "journalists" directly through their twitter accounts.

As long as you keep it respectful you can still tell them exactly what you think about them and what they do as often as you like.

As stated somewhere else I did that to Whateley from the offsiders and Kent

cleary89

Coach
Someone posted a chrome extension the other day that auto blocks everything that is associated with news. Even blocked realestate.com and cronulla jrl website!

Latest posts