What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Time For SGI To Address Their TPA Problem

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
To me it is obvious that 3rd party deals are linked to a certain player playing for a certain club. If the player leaves the said club he is playing for, I am pretty sure that many 3rd party deals would be voided.
giphy.gif

True_Believer

Juniors
Officially it may be the player's manager who is responsible for attracting 3rd party deals, but I know that it isn't as simple as that. Take Tedesco for example. He officially signed with Easts for 700K on the salary cap, but I am sure he would be on a lot more than that. I am pretty sure that Canterbury were offering him around 1 mil a season. We had Dugan on 800K at the time. We definitely could have offered Tedesco 850K a season, but we weren't even in the race for his signature. To me it is obvious that 3rd party deals are linked to a certain player playing for a certain club. If the player leaves the said club he is playing for, I am pretty sure that many 3rd party deals would be voided.

When Brisbane signed Millford, I think it was for around 600K on the cap. Canberra offered him 1 mil a season to backflip, but he declined their offer. Milford was obviously being topped up on top of his salary cap deal. It is plain obvious that clubs are playing an active role in 3rd party deals. We should be working out what/how Easts, Brisbane and Melbourne are working their 3rd party deals and follow suit.

If our management are not to be held accountable for our inability to attract 3rd party deals, then who should?

It is only a rort when you are not in on it.

Actually, it's a rort if you break the rules.

And one of the Eels excuses when they got caught was "we thought that's what Brisbane were doing". So working out what they are doing still doesn't help the case.

I just don't think you can hold the club responsible for this. I think this lies solely in the lap of the NRL. They need to come up with a better system. In my opinion, a points systems would work better - allow clubs to pay players what they want, but assign points to a player and a points pool to the club - and build rules around those points.

denis preston

First Grade
Guys and gals...wife's, spouses, partners etc have been included in topping up salaries linked to NRL players since..since 1980's or 90's...it's no brainer and topping up the partner cant be necessarily traced or proven to benefit the player.
I could tell you some perks given to an ex players wife through giving them a rental place to live with the Club as the landlord + car etc etc.
Salary cap will never be able to be even and policed to the depths we need to prove what we all can imagine and suspect or real salaries ever known except club, player, manager and immediate family
I know Widdorp lives rent free in a duplex in Corrimal near the beach and the club pays the 50k a year rent.Dont know if it is official or a rort but it is true.

possm

Coach
How can you hold them accountable, when it is the players manager responsibility to attract the TPA's, the guy who earns the 7% thats part of he's job, sure maybe the other clubs don't follow the rules 100% , but as i said if we follow them and get caught everyone will be up in arms and want heads to roll, so you cant have it both ways...
May our Club could instruct it's marquee players to demand TPA from their managers and if they can't get them, change player managers. It seems to me that player managers who service players from different clubs may be swayed to organise third party payments by way of payment in favour of certain clubs.

That is why I would like to see the NRL to develop an 'NRL retention scheme for marquee players' in which the NRL will play an equal role along with player managers to arrange TPA national sponsorship. These TPA would be for a certain term and follow players not matter which club they play for. It is the only way TPA would make sense to me.

DragonJ

Juniors
I know Widdorp lives rent free in a duplex in Corrimal near the beach and the club pays the 50k a year rent.Dont know if it is official or a rort but it is true.
I certainly hope it's not a rort because if so, it's no longer secret. It would just be a terrible but perfectly predictable event that the Doust-McGregor era would come to a close knowing we were rorting the salary cap and could still just sneak into the finals or miss out entirely.

BLM01

First Grade
hhhmmm!
A duplex in corrimal that is $1k a week?

FMD. They're getting ripped off.
No mate if it is beachfront or direct ocean views and say 3-4 bed, 2 baths, DLUG etc which a few there are then no probs. Stuff in Austinmer, Thirroul area houses that a similar / bigger $1100 - $1250 per week. But no doubt if they see who the landlord is etc there would be a premium paid or an arrangement without having to go the loborious application process. Not what you know but who.......

SBD82

Coach
hhhmmm!

No mate if it is beachfront or direct ocean views and say 3-4 bed, 2 baths, DLUG etc which a few there are then no probs. Stuff in Austinmer, Thirroul area houses that a similar / bigger $1100 - $1250 per week. But no doubt if they see who the landlord is etc there would be a premium paid or an arrangement without having to go the loborious application process. Not what you know but who.......
Free standing house maybe, but a duplex?

You blokes may have inside info on real estate prices that I'm missing, but east corrimal isn't thirroul or austi. Not even close.

Give it a couple of years maybe, but there's still the bellambi factor.

BLM01

First Grade
Free standing house maybe, but a duplex?

You blokes may have inside info on real estate prices that I'm missing, but east corrimal isn't thirroul or austi. Not even close.

Give it a couple of years maybe, but there's still the bellambi factor.
Correct, as I said look at the landlord who will pay overs to secure something without going through the normal apply and try process. Government agencies do the same with their real estate buying.
But he said Corrimal, could be Towradgi or up the higher end near escarpment with views who knows. Lots of ifs and buts but nothing would surprise me. And I am sure he did not move there yesterday either.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Uncle Bruce just needs to buy 10 or so lovely waterfront houses along the north part of Wollongong to have as weekenders for himself and the family.

Of course, he can’t use them all at once and leaving so many valuable properties unattended would be a foolish idea in today’s security conscious society.

Hiring security would be expensive, and would divert $$$ away from investing in the club..

So it’s only fair that we have some of our more marquee players help out Uncle Bruce by volunteering to housesit his properties for the duration of their contracted term with us.

Latest posts