What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is League Unlimited one of your forms of social media.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Do you come here to just talk League or do you browse LU to catch up with mates and talk about other issues that you would normally discuss on social media, like politics, entertainment and general dribble.

AJB1102

First Grade
Do you come here to just talk League or do you browse LU to catch up with mates and talk about other issues that you would normally discuss on social media, like politics, entertainment and general dribble.

Sorta. I don't do FB, Twitter, Insta, Reddit etc. LU obviously is different to me because I never liked those other spaces, maybe I'm old school and just accustomed to forums - I still can't follow a Twitter thread, FB is the special ed class of social media, Reddit is hive mind stuff very "fit in or f**k off".

Talkin footy and dribbling shit tryna share a laugh with similar merkins I guess.

gUt

Coach
At the moment I only do LU and instagram. Twitter is too aggravating and Facebook is terrifying and boring at the same time. I don't mind reading the lunatics in 4C, some of them even make sense once in a while.

Apart from that across all fora most posters are amusing enough most of the time.

Yay I got to use fora.

axl rose

Bench
Reddit is for uni students with no life experience.

Using Instagram lately as an NRL news feed and it works well enough.

Facebook or Twitter is just..yeah everything horid about the web rolled into them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It’s the beat place to have genuine conversations with fans

I mainly use Facebook for my business page and share photos of my kid

I have Twitter but it’s genuinely the worst place in the world. It’s essentially for people who hate their lives to get validation from others who hate theirs just as much.

Instagram is just for looking at babes

Last edited:

legend

Coach
I drop in once in a while to stir up the geniuss in Four Corners. I also infrequent the NFL forum for mainly fantasy league info.

TBH, I think the site looks stale and old and with the advent of social media, LU will only ever be attractive to the diehards as all new and younger RL fans will gravitate towards social media platforms.

Parra

Referee
I drop in once in a while to stir up the geniuss in Four Corners. I also infrequent the NFL forum for mainly fantasy league info.

TBH, I think the site looks stale and old and with the advent of social media, LU will only ever be attractive to the diehards as all new and younger RL fans will gravitate towards social media platforms.

And the colour scheme is just wrong. Red White and Gold would look much better. Probably should call iy a color scheme.

You are probably right, but the big social media platforms are pretty destitute of meaning and are drowned out by idiots and greed.

Lu gives a lot more, it’s free, there’s good posters and you learn new things. It’s great learning about other clubs and understanding their challenges.

So @Mixo Joe he broke Amones signing to Tigers story here on lu many days before anyone else in the mainstream media. Plus there are some others who have the inside running and it’s nice they are here. If you weren’t on lu you would have missed it. Even the people who doubted it, yeah, they were happy it came true.

So I prefer lu than Facebook. It’s mostly fun.

If it went all dumb social media I’d sign out. Everyone is here for a reason.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
I find LU to be much more preferable than other social media platforms when it comes to talking to discussing just about anything, and it comes down to a few reasons:

1) Facebook is just an utter shithole to begin with, but it has become almost impossible to have a discussion with anyone outside your Friends list in a public comment thread. Most of the time I am not even notified that someone has responded to my comment, and even when I do there are plenty of instances where clicking on the notification doesn't even bring up the comment. So a lot of the time I don't even see the comments from people who are responding to me.

2) Reddit is completely over-moderated and people are quick to pull out the ban hammer when you voice an opinion that falls outside of the echo chamber. This has become a real issue since the 2016 US election and particularly with progressives/liberals who see anyone that doesn't agree with 100% of their beliefs as nazis or Russian trolls.

3) I normally do a fair bit of commenting on Youtube videos, but not so much anymore. The aggressive automated moderation is just unbelievable now, with word filters in place that are so broad and generalised that your comments are often deleted without any notice whatsoever and no clear reason as to how and why it breached the comment policy.

The only platform that I use consistently other than LU is twitter, which is ironic considering the character limitations on comments. I find they are pretty good when it comes to content moderation and are more transparent than others with their reporting and appeals processes.

Wizardman

First Grade
I really like LU. By far and away, the best social media site to talk about rugby league. Even the non-league pages (4 corners, movies) are great to post to. The four corners page is probably the one that causes the most disputes on here.....but even there, most people are normal, behave themselves and genuinely have a point of view rather than trying to stir like some posters on facebook.

Facebook has some absolute turds out there. The false profile posters with agendas are the worst. You don't get that sort of poster in LU.

I’m not really a social media person. Been said by others above, there’s just a lot of grubby stuff on there, people looking to pump their own tires up etc. I manage my own business and use it (Facebook n Insta). I’m also on a private dragons fan group in Facebook but that’s pretty much all I post on, I post a bit more on Instagram personally - I find there’s less rubbish on there. As for Twitter, I’d rather take a cheese grater to my genitals and dunk them in dettol.

I didn’t really consider LU as social media. But I suppose in some ways it is, considering the variety of topics to chat about. And in writing this, I agree it’s very much a social media platform - a good one!

I don’t know anyone personally on LU, stumbled across it years ago and signed up. I did it for a few years, then was off it for almost a decade until I dived back in a few years ago.

The main difference from my early days to present day is that back then (around 2005/6 etc) .. people were more engaging and conversive.

You could have a forum chat with a lot of people that chewed over any kind of subject, like mates would at a pub, you’d have the odd slanging match though but generally in good humour. And there were a lot of folk with clever wit and a sharp tongue (eg Iggy Plop, Croydon Dog Food).

These days, while I still enjoy LU, it’s less social and far more argumentative. And to me, it’s probably due to the advent of social media (and the evolution of mainstream media) into a megaphone for outrage, discontent, etc.

The pool of sharp wit has diminished in favour of people just shitting on each other. Differences of opinion are fine, and I enjoy discussing them, but the art of conversation and debate is sadly diminishing - instead we see people trying to be the loudest, and angriest - thinking that’s how to “win”. Same in the mainstream media. Prime example - Paul Kent.

I’m always very mindful that, as I don’t know anyone on here, I don’t know if they are 15 or 65 years old, their background or anything. I try to be as respectful as possible and never think that my opinion is above someone else’s’ - unless they confuse opinion with fact... which a lot of people do.

If someone says something I agree with, I’ll reply to their post saying so. Being supportive. If I don’t agree I may reply as to what my views are and why... But whether I agree or not, its always about recognising the opinions of others and engaging them in a respectful way. Which is supportive, not oppressive.

I have been “chased” a lot by many LU users who try to bait me into a fight on whatever I’ve written... if it’s respectful or in good humour I’ll happy return serve. But when it’s simpleton, “you’re an idiot” stuff , I’ll usually ignore them but then again I might light a cannon or two in return fire.

All in all, while the dynamic on LU had changed a lot since I joined up, I do still enjoy the forums and engaging with a lot of folk here on a variety of topics. There’s plenty of good people in here, something I recognise.

some11

Referee
I drop in once in a while to stir up the geniuss in Four Corners.
You should come back, haven't heard much since trump lost the election.

To answer OP, forums are better. I don't know what it is specifically but the format is and always will be better for discussing specific topics.

Most of the guitar forums I used to frequent basically disappeared when facebook came in and ruined it all.

Latest posts