What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Nicho Hynes overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Bazal

Post Whore
Nah, he’s just a fullback.

He should be wearing 6 and popping up either side of the field

This and this.

He's a very good footballer, he's just not a halfback. Plenty said it when he was signed too. Probably best at 1 or 6. He's got plenty of skills and you wouldn't say he's really lacking in any skill area, he's just not even close to a game manager and he doesn't know how to get the team around the park. So when you need that from him, he "goes missing" as NRL fans like to put it.

Valheru

Coach
It's hard to assess him at rep level to be completely fair. Playing in the centres was a debacle and last week he played in a 12 man side for 70 minutes.

Having said that he comes across to me as mentally fragile and you can see that his origin debut has had a profound effect on him even though he had a genuine excuse. In the lead up to origin 1 this year he kept talking about it in a manner which suggested it haunted him.

A club level, it's very difficult to argue that he doesn't drop his lollies in the biggest moments. That conversion attempt last night is the perfect example. It was right next to the side-line so missing is not a problem but he is a 90%+ kicker and he absolutely shanked it because the moment got to him.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think some of these claims are pretty unfair. His origin career barely exists at this point, he’s played one game in the halves whilst having 12 men. Give him some time.

Personally I generally find the claims about players who fall apart in the big games a little overblown. Shit even Pearce copped too much flak, he played almost his entire origin career playing for a NSW side no one gave any chance of winning.

He has faltered in a few big moments but he’s young and hasn’t had that many big opportunities.
One of those rare bad decisions from Bellamy to put Paps right back in imo
Honestly not sure anyone really makes that call though. IMO we were absolutely better with Hynes but how often do you see a star player like that get dropped to a young gun with so few games under his belt? It just doesn’t happen really.

Fangs

Coach
It's hard to assess him at rep level to be completely fair. Playing in the centres was a debacle and last week he played in a 12 man side for 70 minutes.

Sums it up.

His two games for Australia were off the bench as well. So we don't have a great sample of how he performs at that level.

Having said that he comes across to me as mentally fragile and you can see that his origin debut has had a profound effect on him even though he had a genuine excuse. In the lead up to origin 1 this year he kept talking about it in a manner which suggested it haunted him.

A club level, it's very difficult to argue that he doesn't drop his lollies in the biggest moments. That conversion attempt last night is the perfect example. It was right next to the side-line so missing is not a problem but he is a 90%+ kicker and he absolutely shanked it because the moment got to him.

Against Penrith at Shark Park he kicked the ball out on the full after getting pressured by Luai at marker. I find it remarkable that the very next set he kicked it out on the full again after getting pressured from marker by Lindsay Smith. He was taken off the field shortly after. Carrying a niggle or not you shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Might be best served skipping Origin completely in 2025. He is a chance to be dropped by Madge which will really shake him up and probably tank the Sharks season once again.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I suppose it depends where you rate him. Hes clearly a very good first grader, yet a rung or so below the top halves in the game. Hes not in the DCE, Cleary, Munster, Hughes class. Id have him slightly below Reynolds and Moses. He does look like hes carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders in pressure situations, he doesn't really go into his shell, is still very involved but just cant get it done.

Valheru

Coach
Sums it up.

His two games for Australia were off the bench as well. So we don't have a great sample of how he performs at that level.

Against Penrith at Shark Park he kicked the ball out on the full after getting pressured by Luai at marker. I find it remarkable that the very next set he kicked it out on the full again after getting pressured from marker by Lindsay Smith. He was taken off the field shortly after. Carrying a niggle or not you shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Might be best served skipping Origin completely in 2025. He is a chance to be dropped by Madge which will really shake him up and probably tank the Sharks season once again.
It's not just a chance, it's happening. Moses need only get through tomorrow night uninjured and he will get picked.

Moses ain't the greatest 7 ever but he doesn't seem to get overawed by the big moments and continues playing footy.

Nicho seems a real confidence guy so I agree, I don't think he is one of those players that will play with a point to prove after being dropped from NSW.

Fangs

Coach
It's not just a chance, it's happening. Moses need only get through tomorrow night uninjured and he will get picked.

I'd be surprised if Madge did that. He gave Hynes a start in the 7, booted our captain in Tedesco (Much to your chagrin) and even dropped Korisau. All of them were let down by a private school RU player in the end.

Right or wrong Madge picked his own team for this series and he has a one year deal. I think he will back the same spine again.

TheDMC

Bench
Dally M at halfback and led a side to 2nd, 6th and currently 1st in the 3 years at Cronulla... C'mon now he clearly struggles in pressure moments but he'd be one of the best halfbacks over the past few years.
At some point he will get the bogey off his nostril by nailing a clutch big-game high-pressure winning moment, and all good from then on.

I suppose it depends where you rate him. Hes clearly a very good first grader, yet a rung or so below the top halves in the game. Hes not in the DCE, Cleary, Munster, Hughes class. Id have him slightly below Reynolds and Moses. He does look like hes carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders in pressure situations, he doesn't really go into his shell, is still very involved but just cant get it done.

Statistically he gets more Try Assists and LB Assists then the lot you mentioned.

Try Assists 2023
Hynes - 26
Hughes - 21
DCE - 18
Cleary - 17

Try Assists 2024
Hynes - 12
Hughes - 8
DCE - 6
Cleary - 5

LB Assists 2023
Hynes - 31
Hughes - 24
DCE - 19
Cleary - 15

LB Assists 2024
Hynes - 13
DCE - 9
Hughes - 9
Cleary - 4

SBD82

Coach
Seems like a nice bloke. Good footy player.

As a clutch halfback he ranks somewhere around Ben Hunt and Mitchell Pearce.

Latest posts