What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

hrundi99

First Grade
Always have a good laugh about an old story printed on these very pages some years ago where a poster, can’t remember his name, told the story of playing a game of pool at a local ACT club when in walks Sticky with his entourage, including a young Jamie Soward. Sticky asked to play with this bloke and during the game Sticky farted and blamed the fart on the dude who was nice enough to let him play in the first place. This story if true, sums up sticky to a tee.

That's hilarious. Suffer in your jocks.

davi

Juniors
I will say though the pass from Kodi Nikorima to Ben Murdoch-Masila was a dead set shocking forward. I can live with a pass that is a fraction forward. If you get away with it, good luck to you as that's just part of the game.

Graham Annesely has hinted the game may trial new technology. That may have reintroduction on a video replay on a forward pass.

blaza88z

Coach
The pass was a mile forward and the one in the Brisbane game (which was so far forward he couldn't catch it) hasn't gotten the attention it deserves either.

They need to do something when they are that far forward, I know they don't like the bunker adjudicating but f**k me, it's embarrassing at times.

nick87

Coach
The pass was a mile forward and the one in the Brisbane game (which was so far forward he couldn't catch it) hasn't gotten the attention it deserves either.

They need to do something when they are that far forward, I know they don't like the bunker adjudicating but f**k me, it's embarrassing at times.

it does feel like there is a point where it’s so clear and obvious that it should be called back

Trouble is always defining it, but we have to be better than allowing these sorts of situations where the call is so clearly incorrect

AJB1102

First Grade
it does feel like there is a point where it’s so clear and obvious that it should be called back

Trouble is always defining it, but we have to be better than allowing these sorts of situations where the call is so clearly incorrect

If Annersley can confidently call it wrong on Monday from looking at video surely someone can call it game day from video. If Annersley is the only one who can call these maybe he needs to spend his weekends in The Bunker.

Meth

Staff member
Annersley confirmed that they got it wrong, so all good now, right? Ricky?

We have got a few of these acknowledgements from Annersley. They are hollow comfort indeed

nick87

Coach
The scoreboard says 34.

If the team isn't mentally strong enough to overcome 1 poor decision then they deserve to lose.

I suspect it was the inability to overcome the significant injuries that was the result of leaking so many points late
Our middles had no gas left, we have Havilii defending at 2nd row next to a guy who could barely move, least of all tackle. Under those circumstances, we were going to need to be a combination of very tough and resilient, and lucky to get out of that game with a win...

as it turns out we were tough, and resilient, but not only werent we lucky, we got very unlucky in receiving a very clearly incorrect call against us that resulted in 6 points. We were not in a position physically as a team to be able to overcome the circumstances and bad luck

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Canberra fans are enablers.

The guy is a dud. The worst kind of dud because he blames everyone else for his inadequacies. It's the ref's fault, the NRL is against Canberra.

Fact is he was gifted an excellent team in 2002 and benefited from the Bulldogs cheating that year and won a premiership. Since then he did very well to get us to another GF in 2018 but not much else in his career before or since.

Any team that concedes 34 points or even 28 doesn't deserve to win injuries or not.

But let's roll out the excuses and while we're there give Ricky a 5 year extension and buy him a present.

Generalzod

Immortal

The guy is a dud. The worst kind of dud because he blames everyone else for his inadequacies. It's the ref's fault, the NRL is against Canberra.

Fact is he was gifted an excellent team in 2002 and benefited from the Bulldogs cheating that year and won a premiership. Since then he did very well to get us to another GF in 2018 but not much else in his career before or since.

Any team that concedes 34 points or even 28 doesn't deserve to win injuries or not.

But let's roll out the excuses and while we're there give Ricky a 5 year extension and buy him a present.
To be fair he did take Cronulla one game short from a grand final appearance.

footy75

Bench
I will say though the pass from Kodi Nikorima to Ben Murdoch-Masila was a dead set shocking forward. I can live with a pass that is a fraction forward. If you get away with it, good luck to you as that's just part of the game.

Graham Annesely has hinted the game may trial new technology. That may have reintroduction on a video replay on a forward pass.

agree...if its a mile forward fkn call it you morons... it's understandable 50/50 but blatantly obvious and not call it... amateur hour.

betcats

Referee

Yeah I think he is doing ok with the Canberra squad but it seems like your whole game plan is run hard and fast and hope that Hodgson or Wighton can create something. Its not a bad plan but there is no plan B, when the power game isnt enough there doesnt seem to be anything else in the plan. CNK is a good fullback but has he improved his game at all since you got him? Watching him he still seems to be the same fullback he was when you first got him.

blaza88z

Coach
Ricky taking Canberra from being quite a mediocre side to a GF still has me done because on the surface he seems to be quite narcissistic and I can't imagine someone with those sort of personality traits would make a good coach, as mentioned previously he's always blaming everyone else, never taking the blame for anything, etc.

The best coaches seem to be the guys who become "father figures", he must be doing something right within the playing group because the way he portrays himself in the media, you wouldn't want to share a beer with him.

He said on the weekend in the press conference something along the lines of "we were the real winners today, despite the score", that's as disrespectful as it gets to a NZ side who has had probably more to whinge about than any other club in the comp.