What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I was watching raiders highlights from the 1990s and there was Ricky throwing these amazing 30 metre passes from left and right which I've never seen anyone do before or after (including Andrew Johns who could throw a long long pass). I was dazzled by that skill and wish that was my memory of Ricky when I thought of him.

Instead when I think of Ricky I think of a whinging, bitter, selfish merkin 'leading' his club to nowhere, too self centred to see he's not a top line coach and unable to accept that it's not the refs, his players, the salarycap or the world at large to blame for his failures but himself.

It is now 20 years since Stuart won his premiership with the Roosters and all the signs show it was a fluke and more the result of the work done before him, his players led by Brad Fittler and circumstance (Bulldogs salary cap cheating) then his coaching.

Please leave.

Nealo 12

Bench
I was watching raiders highlights from the 1990s and there was Ricky throwing these amazing 30 metre passes from left and right which I've never seen anyone do before or after (including Andrew Johns who could throw a long long pass). I was dazzled by that skill and wish that was my memory of Ricky when I thought of him.

Instead when I think of Ricky I think of a whinging, bitter, selfish merkin 'leading' his club to nowhere, too self centred to see he's not a top line coach and unable to accept that it's not the refs, his players, the salarycap or the world at large to blame for his failures but himself.

It is now 20 years since Stuart won his premiership with the Roosters and all the signs show it was a fluke and more the result of the work done before him, his players led by Brad Fittler and circumstance (Bulldogs salary cap cheating) then his coaching.

Please leave.
Wow , 20 years out away from the shallow end .... he can certainly tread water I'll give him that .

I’m a huge fan of watching Ricky suffer, and must admit I missed most of the game today, leaving at 12-12. But the Raiders have been playing decent footy recently so I will give him a pass for a loss against a top 4 team (even given their injuries).

Next week I am all back on the hate train if they lose…

Capewell, Staggs & Cobbo out. Reynolds, Haas & Herbie injured mid-game and this team can't win.

Pathetic. Eat shit Rick.
Remember when you ate shit from this?:

images

It wasn't that long ago....

footy75

Bench
Gee Ricky was about to burst into tears in that presser.

Don't blame him after that diabolical ending.

Canberra is more like the Canberra Soccer team than the Canberra Rugby League team these days.

The players have become the best actors to consistently try and con the ref into giving them a penalty. Any tackle that is the slightest high they fall down like a domino and even the slightest contact to their head in a tackle they reel out of it appealing for a crusher tackle.

The coach whinges and bitches anytime he loses to try and deflect the truth that the coach is tired and the players are overrated. Seriously any other coach would have been sent packing by the board by now for so many years of failure.

Oh and that Viking Clap is getting really old now and you know where you can stick that horn.

BadnMean

Juniors
Ricky's a dud but that game should have went to Golden point, have some balls ref that was a blatant penalty.

Was pure Ricky though.

In a game where it was SO hard to score points due to conditions, Raiders gifted 50% of the oppositions coring opportunities not just through mistakes, but through the SAME mistake, twice. And it is a purely tactical mistake, in those conditions. A choice. Which we doubled down on. Gave points away- repeatedly- when we could barely hold the ball, let alone score.

Oh and the whole playing in exhausting flooded conditions but only using one of your subs for 6 minutes and playing Papalli for less minutes than say Elliot or Sutton...

So yeah, rubbish call. But yeah, all Ricky's fault we are even in that position.

Apey

Staff member
Raiders a good chance to make the 8 now. They play Warriors, Titans, Dragons, Knights, Tigers** as 5/7 their last games.

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
Raiders a good chance to make the 8 now. They play Warriors, Titans, Dragons, Knights, Titans as 5/7 their last games.

But we lost to two of those teams and only scraped past the other two by 2 pts (we haven't played Tigers yet, who we play last, not Titans).

footy75

Bench
Raiders a good chance to make the 8 now. They play Warriors, Titans, Dragons, Knights, Titans as 5/7 their last games.

Yeah but Manly, Roosters and Bunnies are also fighting for it.

And Canberra's for and against isn't great. Will be tight.

Back to Ricky.... Good job yesterday sir.

Someguy

First Grade
Yeah but Manly, Roosters and Bunnies are also fighting for it.

And Canberra's for and against isn't great. Will be tight.

Back to Ricky.... Good job yesterday sir.

Storm will join that group battling it out for top 8 as they drop down the table. If latrell can avoid seriously injuring someone with his cheap shots I think bunnies are in (him and Walker getting away with ridiculous indiscretions, ref laughing it off and not binning them). Parra might also fall into the clutches of the bottom of 8 battle. We are actually shaping for an exciting finish to the season. Roosters and raiders recent ref screw overs may cost them and make for a much less exciting finals series.

GAZF

First Grade
We'll inexplicably lose at least 2 of those games, because.... Raiders.
I'd rather we lost more games in the regular season against the Storm/Roosters than the 1-2 we lose against very beatable teams in the lead up. We'd be better placed on the table for it.

mongoose

Coach
But we lost to two of those teams and only scraped past the other two by 2 pts (we haven't played Tigers yet, who we play last, not Titans).
yep we'll probably beat the Panthers ( i think we have them at home) and then lose to the Warriors lol

Latest posts