What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

mongoose

Coach
He has had a good best 17 the entire time so not winning a comp is a failure imo.

If Bennett or Bellamy had Stuarts 17 they would have certainly made the finals every year and won a comp.
He's still the Raiders most successful coach since Tim Sheens unfortunately and with clubs like the Knights, Titans, Warriors and Tigers going through coaches like underwear I doubt Raiders management want to be stuck in that cycle so Sticky will be safe for at least another 2 seasons.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not sure how a grown man can hold a 10 year grudge against a 12 year old. Or how some nobody at the time got so under his skin that Sticky actually remembered the bloke years later after having made his NRL debut.

I've seen some of the rumours and none of them really add up to hating a kid for a decade to the point of unleashing on him in a press conference.

I dont like Salmon either. Purely because he's an average footy player though. Wouldn't have a clue what sort of bloke he is. But he seems a better human than the bloke he replaced. The best thing he has done in his career so far though is get under Ricky's skin.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Not sure how a grown man can hold a 10 year grudge against a 12 year old. Or how some nobody at the time got so under his skin that Sticky actually remembered the bloke years later after having made his NRL debut.

I've seen some of the rumours and none of them really add up to hating a kid for a decade to the point of unleashing on him in a press conference.

I dont like Salmon either. Purely because he's an average footy player though. Wouldn't have a clue what sort of bloke he is. But he seems a better human than the bloke he replaced. The best thing he has done in his career so far though is get under Ricky's skin.
I want to re-sign him and only play him twice a year against Canberra

mongoose

Coach
Context matters. The only reason he brought up the childhood drama was because of what just happened. If the bloke played like a gentleman the past stuff wouldn't have been mentioned. The point was it is a character issue and not a one off.
If the Raiders had won the game Stuart wouldn't have said anything. The truth is Stuart is lashing out because his team lost, mostly due to his own lacklustre coaching. The fans aren't even defending him, we know what this bloke is about.

butchmcdick

Immortal
If the Raiders had won the game Stuart wouldn't have said anything. The truth is Stuart is lashing out because his team lost, mostly due to his own lacklustre coaching. The fans aren't even defending him, we know what this bloke is about.

Some are trying to justify if on Facebook as Ricky just being a good dad

In the end if you watch NRL 360 tonight I predict Kent with come out and blame Salmon for Ricky’s bitch move with support from Rothfield.

If I’m Salmon I’m getting legal advice and launching defamation proceedings against Ricky

Frailty

First Grade

In the end if you watch NRL 360 tonight I predict Kent with come out and blame Salmon for Ricky’s bitch move with support from Rothfield.

If I’m Salmon I’m getting legal advice and launching defamation proceedings against Ricky
I keep seeing people throw this out there, but why? It'd be extremely difficult to prove any economic loss caused by the comments given he is on a guaranteed contract, and non-financial damages are going to be even harder to show.

nick87

Coach
Id wager Salmon will or already has gotten legal advice, and id wager no defamation case would even be filed on the basis of that advice.

Valheru

Coach

Rothfield has condemned it

Although it didn't come without some sucking up to Sticky and mentioning how his own kids knew salmon at the time and he was a "problem child". The operative word there being child as opposed to the alleged "adult" in sticky.

butchmcdick

Immortal
I keep seeing people throw this out there, but why? It'd be extremely difficult to prove any economic loss caused by the comments given he is on a guaranteed contract, and non-financial damages are going to be even harder to show.
It doesn’t just have to be economic loss to be defamatory

He called him a weak gutted dog which was reported on every national newspaper, radio station and tv channel. Unless what Ricky said is true then Salmon has been defamed

Valheru

Coach

It actually indicates some pretty significant mental health and regulation issues that sticky would a) confront an 11 year old child at the time by his own admission and b) hold a grudge for over a decade to the point he uses his platform as a head coach to personally insult the bloke.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Id wager Salmon will or already has gotten legal advice, and id wager no defamation case would even be filed on the basis of that advice.

well that’s some pretty shitty advice then

here is a link to what is defamatory in regards to social media. Ricky of course didn’t use social media rather a live press conference but using this definition it seems pretty open and shut to me

According to common law, there are three elements that must be established in a defamation action:

• That the content has been published to an audience
  • That the matter carries a defamatory meaning – making statements that are untrue and that lower your standing in the estimation of ordinary reasonable people
  • It has caused you loss such as loss of reputation or business

butchmcdick

Immortal
Rothfield has condemned it

Although it didn't come without some sucking up to Sticky and mentioning how his own kids knew salmon at the time and he was a "problem child". The operative word there being child as opposed to the alleged "adult" in sticky.

yeah fair play to phil

I expected a whole lot of Ricky just defending his family excuses

thanks for posting that

Frailty

First Grade
well that’s some pretty shitty advice then

here is a link to what is defamatory in regards to social media. Ricky of course didn’t use social media rather a live press conference but using this definition it seems pretty open and shut to me

According to common law, there are three elements that must be established in a defamation action:

• That the content has been published to an audience
  • That the matter carries a defamatory meaning – making statements that are untrue and that lower your standing in the estimation of ordinary reasonable people
  • It has caused you loss such as loss of reputation or business

Of course the issue being is:
- Defamation Act has a defence that allows for honest opinion.
- Has it really lowered his standing in the estimation of ordinary reasonable people? Given consensus seems to be that Stuart is out of line, it's hard to argue that Salmon's standing has fallen.
- It hasn't caused any loss of business and it'd be difficult to prove loss of reputation.
- There is also a serious harm element to prove - which I don't think this would meet.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Of course the issue being is:
- Defamation Act has a defence that allows for honest opinion.
- Has it really lowered his standing in the estimation of ordinary reasonable people? Given consensus seems to be that Stuart is out of line, it's hard to argue that Salmon's standing has fallen.
- It hasn't caused any loss of business and it'd be difficult to prove loss of reputation.
- There is also a serious harm element to prove - which I don't think this would meet.
Is is honest to say Salmon is a weak gutted dog ?

Ricky would have to prove that’s correct not just that’s what he thinks is true

You don’t think calling somebody a weak gutted dog lowers their standing in the eyes of ordinary reasonable people ? Really ? Really ? How do you call someone a weak gutted dog and NOT lower someone’s standing ?

How has his reputation NOT been for effected by this ? I had no idea who he was a day ago now every media outlet is reporting him being called a weak gutted dog.

Come on man

Latest posts