What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Blues Riff

Bench
I note the Ricky haters are silent on salmons kick frenzy.

That was the reason for Ricky’s outburst wasn’t it?
No. The reason was they lost.
I'll say something about the "kick frenzy lol" though.

The defenders put Salmon on his back in a decent tackle.
They then slowed the play down, to keep him on his back, one defender clamps Salmon's ankle between his thighs while old mate pins him down and gets in his face.
I don't know if Salmon knew where his feet were or not, but he obviously tried to free his leg. The guy deserved a kick in the nuts.
I feel the same way about a defender putting his forearm around a guys face - ie deserves to get it bitten.

age.s

First Grade
Having spent all last nights show saying that it would be unprecedented for Ricky to be suspended and it would be too harsh, watch K@nt spin it tonight that 1 week is a light punishment and shows that the NRL don’t really think what Ricky did was really wrong
Or better yet, don't watch it.

Or better yet, don't watch it.
The unfortunate reality is that ex this site, being UK-based means that WatchNRL (the international version of Kayo) is the only rugby league content I get.

And while it p!sses me off no end, I enjoy the feeling of being connected that watching 360 gives me.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Nobody is arguing that Ricky was right to use the platform of the NRL to air his grievances against Salmon.

The fact is that nobody in here knows what Salmon did to Ricky's kids, so people should probably stop pretending that they do.
The fact is, it was something a 12 year old kid did 12 years ago. To think there is justification for for a grown man to hurl abuse at a bloke for something he did as a kid is mind blowing.

Pantherjim.

Referee
apologies, low blow bringing up parents.

my old man (who we recently lost) absolutely drummed into me that you always stick up for those who can’t stick up for themselves, and you never punch down. He was an amazing man who helped hundreds in life, and he always lived his principles. I try every day to live up to the standards he set.

Sounds like he was an excellent Father to you. I only wish that my Old Man had as great an interest in my development.

As the father of a smart, funny, cheeky young daughter with a disability this also cuts very close to the bone.

I’m a Father myself, and even though my Daughter isn’t disabled, any kid picking on her doesn’t sit well with me either, but then again, her age group lacks maturity and I’m certainly not going to hold a 10 year grudge against some kid who teases her now into their adult life.

Jaeman has an opportunity to show he has grown and is the bigger man. The fact he has been advised not to do this, and instead has his mum and dad making statements like they did, is very curious indeed.

Shock, Horror! Parents standing up for their kid as an adult because an NRL Head Coach slandered him on live media in front of millions of people for something he did as a kid and trying to conflate that incident with an alleged intentional kick to the groin of one his players. It’s not curious at all, it’s a normal parental reaction.

As for Jaeman, Ivan has probably told him to keep quiet about the incident when he was 11 to prevent fanning the flames. To most of the Rugby League world, what Jaeman Salmon did as an 11 year old kid is irrelevant now. It’s Stuart who has hung himself by holding on to a grudge and letting that grudge boil over into a public forum aired to millions of people, all because his boys got flogged at home by a team with a reserve grade halves paring.

Jaeman Salmon and Ivan Cleary have a job to get on with, winning as many of the last 4 rounds of the competition as they can to secure 1st place and the minor premiership. And the preparation of that work does not involve pandering to the “Poor Sticky” fan group who believe Jaeman owes them an explanation and apologies for what he allegedly did to some other kid as a child.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
The fact is, it was something a 12 year old kid did 12 years ago. To think there is justification for for a grown man to hurl abuse at a bloke for something he did as a kid is mind blowing.

I don't know about that, if someone has been a weak gutted dog person their entire life it's fair game to point that out.

Fair amount of people dropped in here the other night dropping some innuendo about Salmon's non-Stuart related weak gutted dog person activities. Since we're taking all rumor as gospel in here, I'd find it hard to believe these other alleged weak gutted dog person incidents didn't find their way to Stuart's ears.

BxTom

Bench
Oh, FFS! He was a pre-pubescent child!

My mates and I called each other “spastics” and “p**fters” at that age. (Mind you I’m Gen X) Does that mean we do the same thing now in adulthood?

So much for your stupid boomer theory that kids who are slapped about at an early age make better adults in life!
The poster's name is obviously referring to
Ok so if he did that, say to a disabled child, would he now know it is wrong?

Or you know, kicking someone in the cods, would he know that was wrong?

or do some just never develop that pre-frontal cortex?
The only thing that stops your balls from dropping is the vacuum in your macavity.

Black Diamond

Juniors
I don't know about that, if someone has been a weak gutted dog person their entire life it's fair game to point that out.

Fair amount of people dropped in here the other night dropping some innuendo about Salmon's non-Stuart related weak gutted dog person activities. Since we're taking all rumor as gospel in here, I'd find it hard to believe these other alleged weak gutted dog person incidents didn't find their way to Stuart's ears.
If he had of called him a a weak gutted dog for what he did in the game, although still not right, the incident would probably not have hit a nerve with so many. However, once he throws that reference at a child, whole new ballgame.

Also, inuendo is just a form of gossip, not interested in that shit

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
The unfortunate reality is that ex this site, being UK-based means that WatchNRL (the international version of Kayo) is the only rugby league content I get.

And while it p!sses me off no end, I enjoy the feeling of being connected that watching 360 gives me.
I’m in the UK too, use my totally legal Chinese tv box for content, I’m not paying for watchnrl, it should be free.

Wizardman

First Grade
For once, the NRL got this punishment spot on. 25k out of your own pocket plus a week away from your team planning a big game is a big penalty for him. Fair enough for what he did without it being excessive.

Smug Panther

First Grade
For once, the NRL got this punishment spot on. 25k out of your own pocket plus a week away from your team planning a big game is a big penalty for him. Fair enough for what he did without it being excessive.
Anything less than getting fired wasn't enough. You can't attack the opposition about their personal lives and that's not even bringing in the age of when it happened

Wizardman

First Grade
Anything less than getting fired wasn't enough. You can't attack the opposition about their personal lives and that's not even bringing in the age of when it happened
Hahaha....whatever. Ricky 100% did the wrong thing. $25k and a pressure game away from his team is a fair whack. He'll definitely think about his words better in the future.

I just don't see the need to crucify the bloke. He has done a shitload of good in charity areas and away from footy, seems a very decent bloke. He made an error and thoroughly deserves the punishment he has been given. Leave it at that.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Hahaha....whatever. Ricky 100% did the wrong thing. $25k and a pressure game away from his team is a fair whack. He'll definitely think about his words better in the future.

I just don't see the need to crucify the bloke. He has done a shitload of good in charity areas and away from footy, seems a very decent bloke. He made an error and thoroughly deserves the punishment he has been given. Leave it at that.
He's a sooky little loser really. A shit bloke who does nothing but blame others

bileduct

Coach
If he had of called him a a weak gutted dog for what he did in the game, although still not right, the incident would probably not have hit a nerve with so many. However, once he throws that reference at a child, whole new ballgame.

Also, inuendo is just a form of gossip, not interested in that shit

You need to learn how to follow a conversation mate, because I've never once said that Ricky was right to air any grievance about Salmon in the way he did at an NRL press conference, including just calling him a weak gutted dog person just for the deliberate kick on Starling.

However as nobody in here actually knows what happened between the Salmon and Stuart families nobody has the moral authority to say that Stuart has no right to still have a grievance about it 10 years later.

It's a weird argument being made by the same people who are all like "hey man, my friends and I used to call each other spastics all the time, so I don't know why Ricky is upset about that!"

Latest posts