What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Sandow in the wrong position?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The more I think of it the more I realise this little bloke is a tough fella. He has speed, can pass, can kick and can help in tackles down low in with the bigger guys giving a bit more cover, should the eels put him in at hooker and just see how it goes for a few weeks seeing how stuffed we are?

Get in him a quality position in attack and try and cover his defensive inabilities by actually being closer to the action? Anyone agree?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
agree... he's in the wrong position on the field..

sandow should be carrying less of these:

steeden-matchpoweradeB.jpg

and more of these:

502.530.JPG

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
At least he wouldn't find himself in as many bad one one one situations, with some good defensive second rowers lurking, he has more cover than now.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
So you think it would be a good idea to put one of the worst defenders in the nrl, into the one position on the field where you want your best defender? Put Sandow at hooker and expect him to miss more games through injury than he plays.

marcozzi

Juniors
he is shit ... most over rated player in the comp ... why would you put him in a position where he needs to make tackkles ... he is a fat cocky prick, who deserves nothing ....

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Some players need covering, if you have a decent attacking weapon, you have to cover for his frailties and the only place I can see this fella having a future in the NRL is having a crack at hooker.

But that would take a coach who actually likes coaching defence patterns for a start.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Hookers are expected to do 40-50 tackles per game. Can you see Sandow achieving this? He would miss a truck load of tackles by being bumped off by blokes 30+ kilos heavier than him. Plus the ones that he does make, will not even be close to dominant.

He should play 5/8 IMO he would have to gain a heart transplant from Preston Campbell or Geoff Toovey to play hooker though. Sometimes he just doesn't put the body on the line.

Big Sam

First Grade
I've often thought if he was 10kgs lighter he'd be good at fullback. Has pretty safe hands and moving him there wouldn't expose his side's first line of defence.

There was some (albeit brief) talk during Lang's tenure that we would put him back there at least in defence because of all the missed tackles.

He shows glimpses of them in attack, yet defensively :crazy:

Campbell was a speed bump too but he got in the way whereas Sandow far too often just lets the bigger guys (pretty much everyone lol) go past him without effort. That's why I reckon he should play 6.

When he's on he's fantastic in attack but never appeared as a player that could control his team at halfback. His strengths scream 6 to me.

He's on too much money to play in the utility role but that at the end of the day could be the spot to get the best out of him.

RHCP

Bench
Fullback is good in theory. Then the theory gets blasted out of the water whenever Sandow is required to shutdown a linebreak, stop a player on the try line or contest a bomb.

RHCP

Bench
Campbell was a speed bump too but he got in the way whereas Sandow far too often just lets the bigger guys (pretty much everyone lol) go past him without effort. That's why I reckon he should play 6.

When he's on he's fantastic in attack but never appeared as a player that could control his team at halfback. His strengths scream 6 to me.

He's on too much money to play in the utility role but that at the end of the day could be the spot to get the best out of him.
How on Earth does Sandow playing six fix that?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

Nail head.

gUt

Coach
All Parra players can consider themselves to be playing in the wrong spot.