What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is St George Illawarra Still A Joint Venture Club

possm

Coach
Given that Illawarra Football Club have sold their shares to WIN Corp, is the St George football Club still a joint venture club. In my opinion it is not. Not the only football club with an ownership claim is St George.

So any dispute about our Club's history and how many premierships our Club has won should be set aside. I doubt it was ever agreed that the Illawarra deal would extinguish our history.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hasn’t this been done to death?

We are still a joint venture side, but regardless of that all fans have still considered it 16 premierships the whole way through.

Now with our new ownership structure our list of achievements includes:

16 premierships
4 gold Logies
2 silver Logies
1 aria award

_Johnsy

Referee

We are still a joint venture side, but regardless of that all fans have still considered it 16 premierships the whole way through.

16 premierships
4 gold Logies
2 silver Logies
1 aria award
No mention of:

McD-encouragement-award_2.jpg

J.moz

Juniors
There is no illawarra it was sold to win corporation .We are st.george Dragons and we need the club to announce it after the season when Doust has officially left the club.New board and ceo plus our owners in St.George and Win corporation.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Given that Illawarra Football Club have sold their shares to WIN Corp, is the St George football Club still a joint venture club. In my opinion it is not. Not the only football club with an ownership claim is St George.

So any dispute about our Club's history and how many premierships our Club has won should be set aside. I doubt it was ever agreed that the Illawarra deal would extinguish our history.
Spot on possum
I have been harping on this for some time. It amazes me how the NRL WHO
you would think is the accurate source for nrl facts has actually extinguished the St George dragons since 1999.
We " St George" dragons who have gone into the abyss, were NOT amalgamated but replaced!
The same goes for Illawarra.
However it needs to be stated had the "joint" venture not gone ahead Illawarra would not have survived.

So to sum it up. The St George dragons sold their "sole" to the NRL

I hope Brian Johnston sees this injustice and deals with NRL on this matter. Confirming once and FOR ALL the Joint venture was is be the continuation of both St George and Illawarra, meaning all records are to be combined. I.e. Yes St George Illawarra have 16 Premierships NOT 1.

NRL is to apply this correction on their website and Wikipedea etc

SaintPauli

Juniors

16 premierships
4 gold Logies
2 silver Logies
1 aria award
Not to my liking and many others the NRL records show 15.

WRONG and it must be fixed and until it is fixed we WONT EVER GIVE IN

Gareth67

First Grade
At the moment that would leave 17 players and one coach scratching their head at the W word...

That will just go to prove how stupid they are , undoubtedly it is the plan ‘W’ that I had emailed to the Dragons way back at the start of the season. Of course W standing for winning !

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That will just go to prove how stupid they are , undoubtedly it is the plan ‘W’ that I had emailed to the Dragons way back at the start of the season. Of course W standing for winning !
images

Old Timer

Coach

I think looking back at how it has all panned out most
would venture to have a joint
to try and forget about the nightmare the reality of it turned out to be.

I've personally always considered the JV as a continuation of the St.George history. I certainly didn't see it as two clubs dying in 1998 and a new one coming to life in 1999 with an irradiation of the history that came before it, but more so that from 1921 to 1998 they were St.George and in 1999 they expanded to include Illawarra and it's just another chapter in the St.George history. Hence why the logo and jersey didn't change, and hasn't done for 20 years since.

Further evidence to this is that in 2010 when we won the comp the Grand Final MC referenced the 31 years since the last premiership and made a comment along the line of 'the drought is over' etc.

I get that in the early days of the JV people probably wanted to be a bit PC but however you look at it and whatever spin the NRL or other fans want to put on it, St.George Illawarra came from St.George. Name, badge, history and all.

Well it is yeah, the Illawarra Rugby League Football Club no longer own the rights to the joint licence, so yeah it is.

I practicality, no it isn’t, nor should it be.
I like the Illawarra bit, always have, natural fit with the Dragons.
I would like to see 6 games at Kogarah every year, but that’s Doust, not Illawarra.
If I’m honest I wouldn’t go to 12 home games if they were all at Kogarah, with kids sport, school and actually having a social life, 12 games would be too many.

So it is, and it isn’t, and shouldn’t be.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Spot on possum
I have been harping on this for some time. It amazes me how the NRL WHO
you would think is the accurate source for nrl facts has actually extinguished the St George dragons since 1999.
We " St George" dragons who have gone into the abyss, were NOT amalgamated but replaced!
The same goes for Illawarra.
However it needs to be stated had the "joint" venture not gone ahead Illawarra would not have survived.

So to sum it up. The St George dragons sold their "sole" to the NRL

I hope Brian Johnston sees this injustice and deals with NRL on this matter. Confirming once and FOR ALL the Joint venture was is be the continuation of both St George and Illawarra, meaning all records are to be combined. I.e. Yes St George Illawarra have 16 Premierships NOT 1.

NRL is to apply this correction on their website and Wikipedea etc

I’m a bit confused here. Did SGI provide the underneath of someone’s foot or shoe ?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Y’know, I attempted to ask the same question in another thread but was ‘dissed’ by Muzby ‘leading’ the way.

It’s a serious matter which relates to our club’s history.

Some clarity would be nice.

Personally, I don’t see how SGI can still operate under the guise of a JV if the one Illawarra Steelers’ Board member cannot exert any voting rights which are bereft of substance.

Latest posts