What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is symonds a chance for sri lanka?

blaine train

Juniors
i dont think he will but hes an all rounder and someone that can smash chucker out of the ground. whats your thoughts?

Doctor

Bench
If we're talking One Dayers then - certainly he has his ticket already because of his impressive batting (a golden duck today though) and he is a handy bowler (1/48 I think today).

If you're talking Tests - I'll tell you you're dreamin'

Alan Shore

First Grade
His first class figures aren't that bad.

10,407 runs @ 41.46, with a H.S. of 254*. 29 centuries and 44 50s.

His bowling is quite economical too. 154 wickets for 5,747 runs @ 37.31, BB 6-105, ER 3.06.

aqua_duck

Coach
His figures aren't too bad but not as good as others, eg Simon Katich has 8481 runs at an average of 52.35, and bowling average of 36, and a test batting average of 60 and a test bowling average of 27.
Others who have a better record at a similar stage of their career include Hussey, Love, Hodges, etc.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
i cant see the selectors picking symonds in a test side but if he was selected i wouldnt complain and i reckon he would do well

Alan Shore

First Grade
At the very LEAST, Symonds should be 12th man every Test. Since the 12th man can only field I've never understood the logic of picking a bowler there.

syphon

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
At the very LEAST, Symonds should be 12th man every Test. Since the 12th man can only field I've never understood the logic of picking a bowler there.
Because they have to pick a squad of 12 on tours and 13 at home. Depending on the nature of the pitch one of the bowlers is left out. No point bringing Symonds along just to field, might as well bring a MacGill and Bracken and then see what the pitch is like. One will be 12th.

If Symonds didn't get picked for Australia in one dayers, he may well have eventually decided to play tests for England where he would have batted 4-5 and bowled first change!

Alan Shore

First Grade
Well there's one thing I know: if I had to choose a spinner to bowl my life, I'd take Symonds before MacDill.

Big call!

MacGill may be expensive at times and have some pretty major lapses in direction, but 'on paper' his record is excellent.
Symonds is a manufactured off spinner like Mark Waugh was and doesn't exactly rip the cover off it with tweak!

Warne has spoilt us all by holding a high standard for so long, we think every spinner should be at that level. Warne is the Michael Jordan of leg spinners!

Katich will go. Clarke will go.
Lehmann will go also for the tests. Superior against the spinners and was the incumbent before being injured. Martyn will struggle to stay in the side.

Symonds technique isn't for test cricket. Although he is getting a lot better and his temperament has improved immensely as has his bowling but not for tests at the moment.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Symmods bowls in ODIs to try and contain, mix them up ect, and he can soemtimes be hard to get away.

He's not a penetrating bowler, he could be easily kept out, in a test match situation.

In the ODIs they have to play at his bowling, its a different scenario.