What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the 2019 squad the best Sydney Roosters team since 1975?

The team is stronger than 2018 given the acquisition of Angus Crichton at the expense of Ryan Matterson, and two top class wingers (Brett Morris and Ryan Hall) in place of Blake Ferguson. The departure of Dylan Napa, and his replacement with Lindsay Collins is an even swap IMO given Napa's discipline problems. Plus Brett Morris is a quality cover for James Tedesco if the latter gets injured (hopefully that will not happen, but if it does only after Ryan Hall is fit and ready to play).

This team has an awesome Big Five: Cronk, Keary, Mitchell, Manu, Tedesco.

We also have three international quality wingers competing for two spots.

No other current NRL team has such brilliance in its back line.

No other NRL team ever has, with the possible exception of Melbourne when Slater, Inglis, Folau, and Cronk were all in the team.

I would argue that this team is even better than 1975, when the Immortal and incomparable Arthur Beetson was the standout player.

Maybe wait till a ball is kicked, mate :joy:

In all seriousness though, I’d dispute that Morris is still, “top-class” & Hall, despite an impressive resume, is on the wrong side of 30 & following in the footsteps of many, many, many failed Englishmen who’ve walked this path before him.

Not that I don’t want him to succeed, mind. Of course I do - but there is a fair question mark hanging over him right now (don’t forget all the hype for Sam Tomkins).

All-in-all, the side is no stronger than our 2003-04 teams, & look how those years turned out.

A long way to go yet.

Valheru

Coach
No, we are getting carried away.

2018 was a great season but it was a case of peaking at the right time and having a phenomenal run of form through the finals ala 2002 as opposed to 2013 and the 74/75 teams who dominated the season as a whole.

I'm not convinced Crighton is better than Matterson TBH. I haven't seen enough of Hall to make judgement, Morris is reliable but not as good as Fergo. Napa is no big loss.

I still think we have the best team in the comp but we shouldn't be at the ridiculous price we are to win the 2019 comp.

2013 was the best roosters team I have seen in my lifetime (albeit 2018 was the better GF performance) and I put them in the top 4 of NRL era teams with 98/00 Broncos and 2017 Storm. In fact we would have won 3 in a row had we gave a shit (2014) and injuries didn't strike (2015).

I think we are a chance of 2 in a row but it won't be easy.

Last edited:

2018 was a great season but it was a case of peaking at the right time and having a phenomenal run of form through the finals ala 2002 as opposed to 2013 and the 74/75 teams who dominated the season as a whole.

I'm not convinced Crighton is better than Matterson TBH. I haven't seen enough of Hall to make judgement, Morris is reliable but not as good as Fergo. Napa is no big loss.

I still think we have the best team in the comp but we shouldn't be at the ridiculous price we are to win the 2019 comp.

2013 was the best roosters team I have seen in my lifetime (albeit 2018 was the better GF performance) and I put them in the top 4 of NRL era teams with 98/00 Broncos and 2017 Storm. In fact we would have won 2 in a row had we gave a shit (2014) and injuries didn't strike (2015).

2013 quite easily better than 2002 or 2018, IMO.

Pablooo

Juniors
I think the Roosters first up 17 is close to the best team they have fielded since ‘’75 however past the starting 17 the depth is terrible. If a few injuries in the frontrow hit early than there isn’t much to follow.

2013 was the best roosters team I have seen in my lifetime (albeit 2018 was the better GF performance) and I put them in the top 4 of NRL era teams with 98/00 Broncos and 2017 Storm. In fact we would have won 3 in a row had we gave a shit (2014) and injuries didn't strike (2015).

Glad Fergo left to be honest. Had an amazing year but always thought he wouldn’t have the mental capacity to back it up again this year. He’s going to be an expensive mistake for Parra - something they’re pretty used to by now.

2013-15 definitely a missed opportunity for three in row