What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the 'C' word becoming socially accepted?

joshie

Live Update Team
Oi merkins! Is this word becoming so used and common, that the effect has been lost and it has become a casual word mates throw around?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
its not socially acceptable.

merkin is socially acceptable though and I'd like to thank LU for making that happen.

HowHigh

Coach
I try not to use it when there are chicks around that get offended by it but I know a lot who don't really care.

I use it pretty commonly though like 'haha you funny merkin' or 'ohh u dirty merkin' etc

Obviously wouldn't use the word at work

soc123_au

Staff member
It does get tossed around quite casually, but I still think in most cases not in mixed company.

thorson1987

Coach
I try not to use it when there are chicks around that get offended by it but I know a lot who don't really care.

I use it pretty commonly though like 'haha you funny merkin' or 'ohh u dirty merkin' etc

Obviously wouldn't use the word at work

This. Except the bit at work.

The amount of times i hear merkin come over the UHF is ridiculous.

The funniest thing is when chicks do it, not the bogan chicks, but chicks who are brought up to be all elegant and shit.

Didgi

Don't use it around girls or anyone who isn't a close mate, but otherwise, yes.

BDR

First Grade
It's all about social distance. You can throw in a casual merkin with mates but the less you know about somebody the riskier it gets.

It is acceptable, tbh I don't understand why prudes get offended by it. It's just a word and is no worse then f**k or shit.

Knightmare

Coach
I remember reading a while back that the word was actually quite commonplace, to the extent of being used in medical journals in 16th and 17th century England. Then came the Victorian era where pretty much anything remotely sexual was taboo, and the word has been considered rude ever since.

Personally I rarely use it myself, unless I am talking about a Doodleburger clip or Manchester United...

BDR

First Grade
It rustles my jimmies when feminists say "it demeans women" but have no problem chucking about "dick" "c**k" or "prick" as insults.

Red Bear

Referee
The funniest thing is when chicks do it, not the bogan chicks, but chicks who are brought up to be all elegant and shit.
I met this english girl last year, she was really cute and had a half posh/half northern accent, was very funny (and endearing) when she sort of whispered "he's such a merkin" about a lecturer

Anyway, the other night at about 2:30 am the people left behind at this party I was at were drinking and playing a game in which you place the word merkin into a movie/tv title, if the person next to you laughs they have to drink. Movies such as lock stock and two smoking merkins, alice in merkinerland, the merkinfather, reservoir merkins etc etc thrown around.

joshie

Live Update Team
I know this country girl who says it more than me and what confuses me the most is that she isn't bogan at all.

I throw it around quite a bit around mates but as some have said am very cautious around randoms....Unless I am a drunk merkin.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
country chicks are pretty rough with the lingo.

and they can drink like fish

Apey

Staff member
I barely ever use it.

The only times I do are usually with a particular friend, making fun of all the bogans we've come across in our lives.

It's like a "Eahhhhh merkin!" as a greeting.

Apey

Staff member
Actually I just noticed when I went to write a reply to a thread and that I quoted the wrong post I called something a merkin, maybe it was because I had just posted in this thread or maybe I just say it a lot more often than I think I do...

Monk

Referee
Use it pretty frequently with my close mates, don't say it otherwise though.