What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the NRL doin anything to keep Issy here?

Doug2234

First Grade
He was rippin today agaisnt the Storm boys..

the guys a freak.. he's unreal.. and still got a few years before he peaks..
This guy cant leave the NRL..

If ever the NRL is goin to make changes to help keep our big guns in the comp.. nows the time to do it.

Talk about an all time backfire with this thread.

f**k him off. The NRL shouldnt have to do anything to keep him.

Big Pete

Referee
Can somebody tell me what the NRL did with Gasnier and Johns a few years back?

I'll be annoyed to see another great prospect leave.

Paullyboy

Coach
I think it's good that players become universally-hated when they try to hold the game to ransom.

I don't want to see any player go, but I hate even more someone treating the greatest game of all like a pawn.

If you want money, fair enough - go take it and enjoy earning more, just don't embarrass everyone by doing the "will I or won't I" game though.

Scaven

Juniors
bye Issy let the door hit you on your way out.. take Thurston, Inglis, Slater, Hayne, Idris, and any rep players you want who want more money.. We dont need the best athletes in the world in the NRL.. cos we have Gallop.. thats all we need.

lolz..

Ok Einstein , how do you propose the NRL keep these players, without any clubs going broke?

This should be good.

adamkungl

Immortal
NRL could increase rep payments. Wouldn't affect the clubs at all. Unfortunately if they are to be believed the NRL doesn't have any spare money sitting around.

Which brings us back to this point - stop bitching players, change will hopefully come in 2013. Before then, you'll just have to make do with your $400,000 a year...

_Johnsy

Referee
Go to the Western Suburbs of Sydney or southern suburbs of brissy, there are literally dozens of little Izzy's running around. Let him go, ATM he is overpaid. he is an outside back, and not in the top 6 currently. He has played 1 good game in 2010.

_Johnsy

Referee
Can somebody tell me what the NRL did with Gasnier and Johns a few years back?

I'll be annoyed to see another great prospect leave.

Pete, they allowed 3 rd party deals within the NRL guidelines.

We do remember how that worked out with gaz don't we, they didn't pay up and he had to take a $500k pay cut or get better $$$ elsewhere. The game does not miss Gaz, & it wont miss Izzy.

Mickyd39

Juniors
See ya.

Enjoy Union,AFL,NFL,NBL,NBA,NETBALL, wherever it is he supposed to be going.

He won't be missed.

Parra

Referee
At the rate some league fans here turn on players why should the NRL bother to try and retain them.

Why have a misplaced expectation of 'loyalty' on players when it is obvious that the respect for them is only skin-deep anyway.

Money is the key of course - but if fans really want players to stay for any other reason then they need a better one than " 'cause we wont like you anymore if you go"

applesauce

Bench
I don't get all the anger on here.

He wants more money yes, and the only thing the NRL should do is increase rep match payments substantially so the best players are kept in the game.

But at the end of the day Issy sells tickets and memberships to games (mainly broncos) but that money somehow goes back into rugby league. If the Broncos invest in grass roots to produce more issys then that is good for the game.

He is one of the biggest reasons people watch broncos games on TV, kids play the game, go to broncos games and get broncos memberships. Those figures are then transferred into more $ for the broncos and for $ through the next TV deal, money that stays in the RL community.

Issy is a huge marketing component to the broncos memberships/merchandise and has been the sole try scoring light in the broncos this year and if that need for him to score is there next year but he isn't there how many fans won't go to the games or watch the TV games if the Broncos = Sharks.

As much as a lot of fans despise the Broncos as a club they are the biggest sporting brand in Australia and the richest club in the NRL to encourage the weakening of it by letting players like Issy walk only weakens the game.

Matt23

Staff member
At the rate some league fans here turn on players why should the NRL bother to try and retain them.
Admit it, you want him to sign for yawnion don't you?, like others have said he won't be missed, and he will come crawling back when he gets sick of catching a cold out on the wing.

Big Pete

Referee
Pete, they allowed 3 rd party deals within the NRL guidelines.

We do remember how that worked out with gaz don't we, they didn't pay up and he had to take a $500k pay cut or get better $$$ elsewhere. The game does not miss Gaz, & it wont miss Izzy.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather keep as many quality players as we can. We've seen what kind of impact a Lote Tuqiri can have and the kind of interest he generates and yet we're so quick to piss the likes of these quality players out because apparently there's a number of Izzy Jrs. coming through?

Surely there's a better course of action than saying good riddance.

Shorty

Staff member
bye Issy let the door hit you on your way out.. take Thurston, Inglis, Slater, Hayne, Idris, and any rep players you want who want more money.. We dont need the best athletes in the world in the NRL.. cos we have Gallop.. thats all we need.

lolz..
Except none of them are leaving and if I recall correctly....at least two of those (and it will possibly be 3) knocked back rival code offers.

Here's a newsflash for you, Izzy on good money, wants more and will be leaving, it's his choice and the NRL will survive without him.
Willie Tonga has no issues taking his place in the Maroons squad, might as well leave now as hopefully Mal won't pick him.

I think that perhaps some arguing about making an effort to keep players don't really understand that RL is f**king broke....where is the money to offer out superstars going to come from? The money tree?

Mickyd39

Juniors
I don't get all the anger on here.

He wants more money yes, and the only thing the NRL should do is increase rep match payments substantially so the best players are kept in the game.

But at the end of the day Issy sells tickets and memberships to games (mainly broncos) but that money somehow goes back into rugby league. If the Broncos invest in grass roots to produce more issys then that is good for the game.

He is one of the biggest reasons people watch broncos games on TV, kids play the game, go to broncos games and get broncos memberships. Those figures are then transferred into more $ for the broncos and for $ through the next TV deal, money that stays in the RL community.

Issy is a huge marketing component to the broncos memberships/merchandise and has been the sole try scoring light in the broncos this year and if that need for him to score is there next year but he isn't there how many fans won't go to the games or watch the TV games if the Broncos = Sharks.

As much as a lot of fans despise the Broncos as a club they are the biggest sporting brand in Australia and the richest club in the NRL to encourage the weakening of it by letting players like Issy walk only weakens the game.

Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, i think it is the ARL that make rep payments.

If so, the ARL made need to look at increasing rep payments to keep players in the game.Hayne should ask the ARL for more free tickets instead of whingeing how he is not looked after by the NRL when it comes to free tickets.

adamkungl

Immortal
I love how people think they can speak for the entire game when they make claims like "The game doesn't miss Gasnier/SBW/Gower/cutie/etc."

You might not (bitter much?) but I certainly wish these players were still in the NRL and it is an outright, 100% lie to claim that the game wouldn't be overall stronger with them.

applesauce

Bench
Except none of them are leaving and if I recall correctly....at least two of those (and it will possibly be 3) knocked back rival code offers.

Here's a newsflash for you, Izzy on good money, wants more and will be leaving, it's his choice and the NRL will survive without him.
Willie Tonga has no issues taking his place in the Maroons squad, might as well leave now as hopefully Mal won't pick him.

I think that perhaps some arguing about making an effort to keep players don't really understand that RL is f**king broke....where is the money to offer out superstars going to come from? The money tree?

If we had a f**king CEO with some brains and some foresight we could remove pre-season trail games have 2 home and away games at least 4 weeks after origin between AUS & NZ on 2 stand alone Wednesdays (or Tuesdays and remove MNF for those weeks), bledisloe cup style. Have PNG V FIJI, TONGA V SAMOA on the undercards and strengthen the international game. Play the Aussie game at Suncorp it will be a sell out.

The TV rights will benefit and so will the fan base across Aus & NZ, PNG, FIJI, TONGA & SAMOA.

If the international game grows maybe people will then by merchandises from the other countries (meaning $) and grow the game further. Plus growing the talent of smaller nations will only benefit the NRL's talent and depth but also play to a strength we have that the AFL doesn't.

But it is all to hard for Gallop.

applesauce

Bench
Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, i think it is the ARL that make rep payments.

If so, the ARL made need to look at increasing rep payments to keep players in the game.Hayne should ask the ARL for more free tickets instead of whingeing how he is not looked after by the NRL when it comes to free tickets.

No your right. But if the parties involved pull their finger out and the independent commission got off the ground we would have 1 body covering that and therefore look into payments.

Bulldog Force

Referee
If he doesn't like the game, he can get lost. There's no way our game should bend over backwards to accommodate greedy bastards.