What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the NRL killing the game of Rugby Leauge?

SEAT 1A

Bench
I think so.

I watched the Wallabies v Springbok test last week basically because Australia were playing and was interested because Robbie Dean's was the new coach. Enjoyed the game because we won.

Was looking forward to watching the game against the All Blacks due to the fact that the games against the Nz's are always worth watching.

I have not been as excited and pumped up about a Rugby match for a long time. Usually only get that pumped up for Saints. However, I have not been as excited as that watching the Dragons since the 2005 semi against the Tigpies.

The crowd was 89,900 last night. The league test got aprox 20,000.

Over the last few years the NRL comp has been boring.

Cooper-Man

Bench
I think so.

I watched the Wallabies v Springbok test last week basically because Australia were playing and was interested because Robbie Dean's was the new coach. Enjoyed the game because we won.

Was looking forward to watching the game against the All Blacks due to the fact that the games against the Nz's are always worth watching.

I have not been as excited and pumped up about a Rugby match for a long time. Usually only get that pumped up for Saints. However, I have not been as excited as that watching the Dragons since the 2005 semi against the Tigpies.

The crowd was 79 000. almost the same as the sate of origin. ANZ stadium only fits approx 82k, but still. Anyways. its people like yourself who will kill RL and that is by changing codes as soon as the going gets tough.

I refuse to watch another code and i dont even want to know what he final score is. There isnt enough people in the country for the amount of codes we have.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
I don't get the fascination with Union it's boring as batsh*t but my dad kept flicking between it and the Tigers/Panthers game which annoyed me.

j0nesy

Bench
It was a damn good game, for a game of union. So far the new rules seem to have improved it immensely. Still give me league any day of the week. I'd even rather watch Melbourne vs Manly in a one out grapple fest.

I think so.

:lol:
anyone that find union entertaining over league is either blind or a union fan already.

SEAT 1A

Bench
It's all good Cooperman.The crowd figure was a typo, we all make them. I haven't lost all faith in rugby league.

I'd still watch a Dragons game over any rugby union game.

Cooper-Man

Bench
No sweat mate. I think this sbw thing will now make the NRL stand up and realise that something is happening and they need to act. I also believe that WE as rugby league supporters have been through all this stuff before and always came out on top. People need to keep faith and keep going to games. Changing codes (and im not accusing you of doing this) is the worst thing anyoner can do.

when the dragons were going sh*t last year this one particular suuporter who everyone knows decided to sell all his dragons flags and things that he owned and decided to throw in the towell and siad he is going to start to support Sydney FC and he enjoyed watching them more. He disapeared off the face of the earth and no one ever saw him again .................................................................................................. Untill the newcaste game when we were going for 7 straight and you see him walking into the ground like he had never missed a game.

Anyway, what im trying to say is, when the going gets tough we need to band together because the rewards at the end will be greater.

Just my thoughts and i believe and hope the NRL will stick their fingers out and start to take control of the game again.

Cheers
pete

SEAT 1A

Bench
Apologies All,

I think it was in 2006 semi :oops:.

DallyM,

I am a fan of union :shock:, however didn't watch the last W/Cup until the semi's, however up until last night's game union was as boring a bat poo.

Cooper,

The NRL will be in deep poo if they don't pull there finger out. I don't think they can do much to stop the Gaz's or SBW's. I don't think any one would pay that type of cash to keep them in league, however it's the star players under them that we will lose.

As you say the next G/F win be sweet revenge for 92,93,96 and 99. I remember 85,(2 out of three wasn't to bad) but was to young to feel the pain.

MattYg1

Bench
Union, AFL, League, Soccer even Curling...

Its personal preference and pointless worrying about...

Its like political party alignment... nobody has there mind changed at voting time... you choose an alligience and vote the same party in all the time...

Facts are facts Union and AFL have bigger fanbases compared to NRL... simple as that...

This issue is deeper then that... SEAT1A I am in total agreeance with you on this topic, the NRL needs to do something big to control our own game.

Without solid foundations League will be crushed by Union and AFL...

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
i liked the game, only because we havent betean the all blacks for while, but union is borrrriiinnnnggg

I think so.

I used to be involved with Rugby, and had a lot of interaction with officials within the NSWRU. If that place was run as a real business, it would be insolvent in 3 months. The sport is run by three suburban teams in NSW ( Randwick + Eastwood + Sydney Uni), and is so insular it borders on being hilarious. The fact that they canned expansion of their code after only one season so the Sydney comp could still be seen as the pinnacle of Australian Rugby Union shows how backwards their game is in this country.

And the bad thing is, Rugby League lets them get away with it.