What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the nrl the be all and end all of rugby league?

fightingirish69

Juniors
like the titles says.
we have a brilliant game, its fun to watch, has a great history. but is the nrl [logo] overshadowing the rest of the game?
is it healthy that no queensland players play domestically in qwueensland, but play in queensland based nrl clubs?

is it healthy that the majority of the kiwi team play in the nrl and not a new zealand domestic comp.

was expansion good ?

is the reliance on television deals good?

should we be putting cash[or more] into established league areas, to cut of the influence of australian rules?

instead of just waiting for the reds to be accepted into the nrl in a few years, should we as fans be taking more of interest in affiliated states before the reds enter.

and just a couple of questions

1. is rugby league too condensed [ no large tours by the roos or poms], no emerging nations touring. just nrl matches [3 interstate clashes and 2 - 6 internationals ] involving the roos .

as fans are we limiting ourselves?

Gaba

First Grade
look at union it suppose to be international , no one watches it

compare TO NRL and other rugby league games PEOPLE WATCH IT

fightingirish69

Juniors

but a lot of people sit in those stands to watch those union internationals. is it really healthy bragging about how many league fans are sitting on their backside at home watching an nrl game?

Gaba

First Grade
look at the crowd figures going the games this year and state of origin, etc

and the finals will be the same ,

yes there are some big crowd in union too but i bet union would wanting to swap rugby league in the media venue , thats where most of the money going ot come from not from the crowds at the game, thatwont just help a code survive , the media revenue + crowd

in australia thats where union is way behind

Last edited:

fightingirish69

Juniors
look at the crowd figures going the games this year and state of origin, etc

and the finals will be the same ,

yes there are some big crowd in union too but i bet union would wanting to swap rugby league in the media venue , thats where most of the money going ot come from not from the crowds at the game wont just help a code survive the media revenue

in australia thats where union is way behind will die within 5 years in australia it wont be making enough through the media

yeah of course origin, internationals and finals get good crowds.. i'm not arguing that.

but where are all those big crowds during sydney club games?

where are broncos, titans, and cowboys fans on the weekends when the their teams are playing? do they support their local comps or do they pump cash into the afl by going to see the lions etc.?

i think you have underestimated Union. For instance, in spite of the presence in each other the 100+ countries that play it, their next world cup will generate over 500 million dollars.

Its so sad that in RL we have this fantasy where we underestimate our competitors and overestimate ourselves. You've got to be real. We are somewhere in between.

RL has to get real with itself. Its going to need some radical honesty- and its starting, with the independant commission talk.

So in answer to your question, NO the nrl is NOT the be and end all.

Neither is state of origin. Origin is just a BIG little event. If that makes sense....hmmm....think about it. Instead of focussing on two states so much, we should indeed be looking toward the other end of the spectrum and focussing on world cups, and internaitonal competitions.

After this commission, I'd love work done to the IRLF. And I'd love a more solid commitment to a chain-of-command after that, making our bodies at least partly underneath the internaitonal body in terms of power.

Do you know what this will do? It will do what the commission is doing....re-balancing the power, and taking us into the future with brighter prospects, making the most of our strengths.

Gaba

First Grade
yeah of course origin, internationals and finals get good crowds.. i'm not arguing that.

but where are all those big crowds during sydney club games?

where are broncos, titans, and cowboys fans on the weekends when the their teams are playing? do they support their local comps or do they pump cash into the afl by going to see the lions etc.?
im not from qld,
I thought the broncos,titans,and cowboys crowd figures were higher then the afl lions

i guess qld people can answer that better

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
i think you have underestimated Union. For instance, in spite of the presence in each other the 100+ countries that play it, their next world cup will generate over 500 million dollars.

Its so sad that in RL we have this fantasy where we underestimate our competitors and overestimate ourselves. You've got to be real. We are somewhere in between.

RL has to get real with itself. Its going to need some radical honesty- and its starting, with the independant commission talk.

Neither is state of origin. Origin is just a BIG little event. If that makes sense....hmmm....think about it. Instead of focussing on two states so much, we should indeed be looking toward the other end of the spectrum and focussing on world cups, and internaitonal competitions.

After this commission, I'd love work done to the IRLF. And I'd love a more solid commitment to a chain-of-command after that, making our bodies at least partly underneath the internaitonal body in terms of power.

Do you know what this will do? It will do what the commission is doing....re-balancing the power, and taking us into the future with brighter prospects, making the most of our strengths.

Im talking about in Australia where it matters, and union is no where near where rugby league is,

Last edited:
but a lot of people sit in those stands to watch those union internationals. is it really healthy bragging about how many league fans are sitting on their backside at home watching an nrl game?

The big money is in the TV rights. The NRL's contract for example, is larger than the combined salary cap of all 16 clubs.

So yes is the answer to your question.

Thomas

First Grade
im not from qld,
I thought the broncos,titans,and cowboys crowd figures were higher then the afl lions

i guess qld people can answer that better

Just the Broncos. No one watches the Lions on TV though.

And yes, I know plenty of people who go to a Lions game if the broncos aren't playing in Brisbane. Mainly for the piss up and to watch the freaks.

fightingirish69

Juniors

great post
exactly what i'm trying to say.
the thing that bugs me is that put club matches in big 50k+ stadiums in sydney. when they only get 10 -20k

its about trying to look good i guess. embarssingly like the emporers new clothes

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL should be the figurehead for the code that drives all else that happens. Int RL has never been this, unlike soccer and RU where the Int teams are their figurehead. NRL is essential to bringing in $'s, getting the kids excited and getting the code itno the publics consciousness.

I do feel the money NRL generates could be better spent and I do agree that the NRL needs to be a more proactive organisation in regards to supporting the growth of the game.

VictoryFC

Bench
The NRL should be the figurehead for the code that drives all else that happens. Int RL has never been this, unlike soccer and RU where the Int teams are their figurehead. NRL is essential to bringing in $'s, getting the kids excited and getting the code itno the publics consciousness.

I do feel the money NRL generates could be better spent and I do agree that the NRL needs to be a more proactive organisation in regards to supporting the growth of the game.

Couldn't be more wrong. The only reason the international scene is big is because the domestic competitions have a strong foundation. And thats what Rugby league should be aiming for; strong leagues. International prestige follow. Union and cricket are strange anomalies, but thats because they don't have real national competitions (although cricket is heading in the right direction)