What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the return of a Toowoomba based team to the top flight a realistic possibility by 2025 ?

The Partisan

Been lots of talk and work behind the scenes but are we any closer to seeing the return of a team from the Downs ?

If returned what will make them a successful attraction for locals to support ? What could they learn from other comps with Qld Cup teams ?

The Partisan

Agree that they would more than likely come in as the Western Mustangs. WM currently have an arrangement with the Gold Coast Titans I believe.

I think getting the local fans on board will be the biggest hurdle....especially after the Broncos / Clydesdales failed venture.

Bottom line....need to have the bulk of the team living permanently in Toowoomba ( or surroundings). Having a bus in / bus out team just won't be palatable to the people of the Downs.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of the Cairns / Mackay teams are permanently based in those respective cities and only supplemented by Townsville based Cowboys players surplus to requirements as needed per weekend.

ALX25

Bench
The Titans-Mustangs agreement was canned a few years back unless a new one has appeared?

ALX25

Bench
The Queensland Rugby League has today confirmed its support for the Western Clydesdales to enter the Hostplus Cup in 2023.

The announcement follows the QRL Board’s review of a detailed submission from the Clydesdales, who have worked closely with the QRL during the past 18 months to put in place the administrative, player and coach development, and commercial structures to support a Cup team.

The QRL will continue to work with the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) on support for the Clydesdales and growth of the western corridor.

See: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06/17/western-clydesdales-prepare-for-entry-into-2023-hostplus-cup/

The Partisan

Toowoomba probably not as an attractive destination as the Greater Brisbane and the coastal locations that harbour teams so will be a hard sell to attract potential players based purely on location. A bit like the QRL version of Canberra !

Be interesting to see what the connection with the CB Bulldogs will bring to the table in regards to playing staff (and perhaps coaching ?).
There does need to be a connection to the community with the bulk (if not all) the roster living within an hour or so of Toowoomba.

Review into the HDC 21's setup and administration looks like a must.

From a marketing / supporter point of view I'd be setting up Supporter Groups in Bne and elsewhere for former Twmba and South West residents. Arrange 'reunion' days of ex players and supporters from those areas.

Western Queensland Clydesdales or South Queensland Clydesdales would be better.

Darling Downs Clydesdales is another possibility.

But I'd go with South Queensland as Toowoomba and the Darling Downs Region it is part of is located between South East Queensland and South West Queensland.

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
No worse as a destination than Rocky. Capras have managed to survive and are having a very good year.

ALX25

Bench
The Western Clydesdales have announced Jason Alchin as head coach of their 2023 Hostplus Cup squad.

Alchin will start as Clydesdales Head Coach immediately as he works on assembling a squad for next season from scratch.

“There is a big job ahead putting together a competitive squad for next year, but I’m looking forward to providing opportunities for guys to play at this level.

“We’re committed to giving some local guys a chance in the squad and are also looking at some other experienced Hostplus Cup players to help build a competitive squad.

“I’ll be getting in touch with some players we’re interested in. We also welcome any other experienced Cup players interested in being part of an exciting era for the Clydesdales to get in contact with the club.”

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06/24/clydesdales-announce-hostplus-cup-head-coach-for-2023/