What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the steelers jersey a regular thing now?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think that is a convenient excuse that you regularly trot out but just isn't true.
St. George would have survived without any problem if they went it alone.
The JV was a convolution that promised a lot and has delivered very little.
Where is our promised "Super Club"??? That was the foundation and reason the JV was perpetrated.
So, it hasn't happened by a long shot and no amount of your squirming around and silly statements to the contrary, can change that.
It is one of the main the reasons that the St. George faithful are justifiably miffed and disillusioned about the evolution of the JV and our current malaise.
Even when pre JV St.George was going through difficult periods, our teams always had a dig and were enjoyable to watch.
These days we tune in every week only to see an also ran Team going through the motions under the guidance of an incompetent coach which is blindly supported by an equally incompetent management.
7 years of that rubbish and counting.
Nothing to do with being divisive - the JV just hasn't worked.
You can choose to admit it or you can continue to rationalize it.
It doesn't really matter.
Look at you carrying on like a spoilt little child.

St George is dead.

Long live St George Illawarra.

The sooner you realise it, the happier you’ll be..

Then you can start looking for ways to fix the problems at management level, rather than pointing the finger & blaming the bogeyman.

independent

Juniors
You have expressed what most of us are thinking and good on you for telling it how it is.
Blocker Roach still refers to us as "The Saints".
No place for "Steelers" in the same sentence.
The red jersey is an embarrassment and should be done away with.
Just switch to our traditional identity and let's get on with being a real football club again.

Dennis, I have followed St George since 1968 when we came to Australia, it breaks my heart that the once proud club is slowly been taken over by the wollongong mafia, we don't even train at kogarah anymore, the players don't belong anymore, they are half and half, we have no soul, we can blame the coach and he has to take some of the blame but like I said the players don't know who their playing for........
St george supporters should start up a petition and do what ever to get our club back, I said it before, we have gained nothing out of this merger, I am a very passionate supporter I go to training I know all the players and coaching staff, my number plates are MITEAM I live in the shire but I follow St George not Illawarra or steelers

independent

Juniors

St George is dead.

Then you can start looking for ways to fix the problems at management level, rather than pointing the finger & blaming the bogeyman.

I don't think anyone is carrying on, we all have our opinion but too many people are scared to express it, I will always call the team St George and ofcource others can call them what they wish........

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
St george supporters should start up a petition and do what ever to get our club back, I said it before, we have gained nothing out of this merger, I am a very passionate supporter I go to training I know all the players and coaching staff, my number plates are MITEAM I live in the shire but I follow St George not Illawarra or steelers
Here you go champ: http://chng.it/tFkQzxF9

I
’ve signed it, you should too..

redv13

Bench

St George is dead.

Lol calm down Stanley

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I don't think anyone is carrying on, we all have our opinion but too many people are scared to express it, I will always call the team St George and ofcource others can call them what they wish........
I’d say people are carrying on..

This is a 16 year old thread, and people are still saltier than a packet of Smiths Crisps..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Lol calm down Stanley
I thought you said I was gitano?

If you’re going to call names, at least be consistent.

But you seem to be confused & think that pro JV means pro Illawarra.

Neither entity would be here without the other.

independent

Juniors
I think that is a convenient excuse that you regularly trot out but just isn't true.
St. George would have survived without any problem if they went it alone.
The JV was a convolution that promised a lot and has delivered very little.
Where is our promised "Super Club"??? That was the foundation and reason the JV was perpetrated.
So, it hasn't happened by a long shot and no amount of your squirming around and silly statements to the contrary, can change that.
It is one of the main the reasons that the St. George faithful are justifiably miffed and disillusioned about the evolution of the JV and our current malaise.
Even when pre JV St.George was going through difficult periods, our teams always had a dig and were enjoyable to watch.
These days we tune in every week only to see an also ran Team going through the motions under the guidance of an incompetent coach which is blindly supported by an equally incompetent management.
7 years of that rubbish and counting.
Nothing to do with being divisive - the JV just hasn't worked.
You can choose to admit it or you can continue to rationalize it.
It doesn't really matter.

I would prefer to go back to been St George and battle on, like you say what are the benefits, its all mixed up, some people say what a great history we have, some say its only recent history new club.
we even sing when the saints go marching in, its soooooo mixed up, supporting a team you have to have passion ,how can you have passion for two teams, nothing against the Steelers but they were not my team........

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we even sing when the saints go marching in, its soooooo mixed up, supporting a team you have to have passion ,how can you have passion for two teams, nothing against the Steelers but they were not my team........
I find this to be baffling.

Firstly, there is still the word “Saint” in the title, so it’s extremely relevant.

They even sing it in the badlands of Wollongong.

Secondly, you are still cheering on the same jersey and 95% of the same emblem.

Plenty of folk who came from the badlands of Wollongong have adapted to cheering on something quite foreign to them..

Why is it so hard for you?

redv13

Bench
I thought you said I was gitano?

If you’re going to call names, at least be consistent.

But you seem to be confused & think that pro JV means pro Illawarra.

Neither entity would be here without the other.
Well Stanley you love to throw the Illawarra line out there yet when other supporters go the StGeorge route you break down and get all huffy puffy.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well Stanley you love to throw the Illawarra line out there yet when other supporters go the StGeorge route you break down and get all huffy puffy.
Is that how you see things?

That’s a shame..

I’m merely reminding that vocal minority that there are two entities in this club.

Splinters

Juniors
What reason is there any more to support one club or another? I grew up in the district and - like many of us - went to school or played in junior clubs or attended church where I knew men who played for Australia. You knew their families. You saw them around the place. They were locals and part of local life

Over the years I have lost interest because just putting on the red and white doesn't mean you represent the district. Take the pommie who has just left. Was he ever really a st george man? No. He would always go to the highest bidder. The attempt to paint him as some kind of wonderful club man was always so forced. In what way could he possibly be a club man? He can't. He wasn't. He was just a salary man on his way through.⁰

So when I cheer on saints today, what am I cheering for? Laundry? It seems silly to be cheering for Player X this year and next year he is with the green jerseys and the year after that the blue jerseys. What am I cheering for?

TruSaint

Referee
What reason is there any more to support one club or another? I grew up in the district and - like many of us - went to school or played in junior clubs or attended church where I knew men who played for Australia. You knew their families. You saw them around the place. They were locals and part of local life

Over the years I have lost interest because just putting on the red and white doesn't mean you represent the district. Take the pommie who has just left. Was he ever really a st george man? No. He would always go to the highest bidder. The attempt to paint him as some kind of wonderful club man was always so forced. In what way could he possibly be a club man? He can't. He wasn't. He was just a salary man on his way through.⁰

So when I cheer on saints today, what am I cheering for? Laundry? It seems silly to be cheering for Player X this year and next year he is with the green jerseys and the year after that the blue jerseys. What am I cheering for?

A lot of local history there, and I respect that part of the post.
Fact is, the NRL is no longer that "local".

As to the jersey, well heck, why don't we go back to real tradition and wear the blood and bandages BEFORE the Red V. That would be traditional.

Then you mention the "pommie"...

That pommie has played over 400 games at the highest level. The fact that he came from Canterbury to us shouldn't diminish that.

In our 2010 winning team how many players came from other clubs? Weyman/Scott/Boyd/Soward/ J. Smith etc etc etc. Makes no sense.

independent

Juniors
I find this to be baffling.

Firstly, there is still the word “Saint” in the title, so it’s extremely relevant.

They even sing it in the badlands of Wollongong.

Secondly, you are still cheering on the same jersey and 95% of the same emblem.

Plenty of folk who came from the badlands of Wollongong have adapted to cheering on something quite foreign to them..

Why is it so hard for you?

Nothing against the Steelers, what upsets me and most St George supporters is this, if every team merged then we had nothing to complain about, but you get 4 teams to merge and the rest stay as they were, and 3 of the teams were nearly foundation teams, I honestly would be content if we stayed as St George and if we perished so be it, we might as well have perished because by been St george Illawarra we can't say we have such a great history and such legends like Langlands, Gasnier ,Smith, Chook, etc.....
when they were alive we would parade them around before games and announce them as St George greats, you yourself said St George is no longer,

Can you see were I am coming from, Mergers can't work, and mate I am not putting anyone down or arguing with anyone ,I am just saying what I feel and what a lot of people are thinking.

I think this discussion was well over due

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The discussion has been had over and over again.. Hence the first post of this thread came 16 years ago..

Nothing against the Steelers, what upsets me and most St George supporters is this, if every team merged then we had nothing to complain about, but you get 4 teams to merge and the rest stay as they were, and 3 of the teams were nearly foundation teams, I honestly would be content if we stayed as St George and if we perished so be it, we might as well have perished because by been St george Illawarra we can't say we have such a great history and such legends like Langlands, Gasnier ,Smith, Chook, etc.....
when they were alive we would parade them around before games and announce them as St George greats, you yourself said St George is no longer,

Can you see were I am coming from, Mergers can't work, and mate I am not putting anyone down or arguing with anyone ,I am just saying what I feel and what a lot of people are thinking.

But it’s not about the Steelers. It’s about the Illawarra region. By creating the JV, the club covers a huge area of the country, and future proofs the history of St George (the history of both Illawarra and st George form the fabric of the JV).

The cull around the start of the century was about removing Sydney clubs (and given the comp started in Sydney, by nature some of those would be foundation clubs). By jumping on board with Illawarra, St George secured themselves a spot for the future.

The JV benefits both parties - chances are both would have folded otherwise.

St George is dead.

Don't deflect, answer the question - Where is our promised Super Club?
I am very happy, and it seems that you are the one carrying on like a spoilt child.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Don't deflect, answer the question - Where is our promised Super Club?
I am very happy, and it seems that you are the one carrying on like a spoilt child.
Lol.. Nothing more childish than saying “no I’m not, you are”.

Anyway, to stop you yelling more, in the first 12 years of the club, our super club won a couple of minor premierships and a title. That was more than either St George or Illawarra had achieved in the previous 20 years.

That’s an impressive increase coming off nearly two decades of failure.

What would greedy sir have preferred? Another 11 premierships in a row?