What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

Green Machine

First Grade
RiotAct said:
You seriously sound like a Victorian, Close minded when it comes to any other sport other than the dominant code, i'm no AFL fan but i'd still like to see the swans do well, mainly because it burns the vics so much

To me Pantherjim sounds like an average Rugby League. fan. I suppose no one cares how much media attention one sport gets as long its fair. And to be honest, it is not fair. It’s like being in a fight with your hands tied behind your back. Rugby League fans are fed this garbage in the Sydney media, that Sydney is more open to other sports and that’s why Rugby League should share equal billing with the AFL in Sydney, even though the Swans rate last in the TV ratings. They are less popular that a movie that been re-run 20 times and a repeat of a Japanese cooking show. Your point about supporting the Swans because it burns the vics so much, is very strange. Considering the AFL market Swans versus the other Melbourne sides as a “us against them” with the odd mention of State of Origin. The AFL want the Sydney market to believe this is an interstate contest. To burn the vics is even stranger when all the media reports coming out of Melbourne this week are saying most vics are behind the Swans on Saturday,

Southernsaint

Staff member
eelandia said:
Have any of them ever been west of Anzac Parade..?? Would they know how to get to Kingswood, Rydalmere, Terrey Hills, Castle Hill, Padstow, McGraths Hill, St. Clair....you get the point.

I was born & raised in Sydney & wouldn't know they way to those Bogan suburbs...

iggy plop

First Grade
RiotAct said:
Thats right, they've no right using the name Sydney Swans, how dare they have out of state players! omg evil!!

How dare clowns think it's a victory for Sydney over the state that invented the game when the Swans are just a transplanted club with mainly southern state players.

Anyway good luck to the Tigers and dragons in the real game on Saturday night. If only this game was being played at the 80,000 seater. It would make it look even more spectacular than it's already going to be.

Tigers are specials to score the first try, they've done so in over 80 percent of their matches this year. My tip, Benny Galea.

RiotAct

Juniors
Green Machine said:
To me Pantherjim sounds like an average Rugby League. fan. I suppose no one cares how much media attention one sport gets as long its fair. And to be honest, it is not fair. It’s like being in a fight with your hands tied behind your back. Rugby League fans are fed this garbage in the Sydney media, that Sydney is more open to other sports and that’s why Rugby League should share equal billing with the AFL in Sydney, even though the Swans rate last in the TV ratings. They are less popular that a movie that been re-run 20 times and a repeat of a Japanese cooking show. Your point about supporting the Swans because it burns the vics so much, is very strange. Considering the AFL market Swans versus the other Melbourne sides as a “us against them” with the odd mention of State of Origin. The AFL want the Sydney market to believe this is an interstate contest. To burn the vics is even stranger when all the media reports coming out of Melbourne this week are saying most vics are behind the Swans on Saturday,

Because Melbourne media is Credible, Yeah right, and to me pulling 30 thousand+ a game all year in Sydney is alot more impressive than TV ratings, Rugby League rates and pull poor crowds compared to AFL. At the very least it shows AFL does have a place in NSW and there is genuine support for the 'Undercover Melbourne' Sydney Swans

RiotAct

Juniors
anyway, i'm not gonna bother with this dribble anymore, it's just going to go around in circles

Knightmare

Coach
iggy plop said:
How dare clowns think it's a victory for Sydney over the state that invented the game when the Swans are just a transplanted club with mainly southern state players.

Anyway good luck to the Tigers and dragons in the real game on Saturday night. If only this game was being played at the 80,000 seater. It would make it look even more spectacular than it's already going to be.

Tigers are specials to score the first try, they've done so in over 80 percent of their matches this year. My tip, Benny Galea.

I think my signature makes it pretty clear :LOL:

eelandia

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
I was born & raised in Sydney & wouldn't know they way to those Bogan suburbs...

you sound proud of your insular ignorance. And as for bogan, you'd be lucky to afford to live in places like Castle Hill and Terrey Hills, probably even Kingswood.

What bogan-free part of Sydney do you live...you don't seem proud enough to list it in your Location..??

Green Machine

First Grade
RiotAct said:
Because Melbourne media is Credible, Yeah right, and to me pulling 30 thousand+ a game all year in Sydney is alot more impressive than TV ratings, Rugby League rates and pull poor crowds compared to AFL. At the very least it shows AFL does have a place in NSW and there is genuine support for the 'Undercover Melbourne' Sydney Swans
I think you’re a little big wrong in saying ground revenue and ticket sales is a lot more impressive than TV revenue. Current TV contracts for the AFL and NRL do not support your statement. Weekly TV viewing numbers (over the whole season) do not support your theory that there is genuine wide support for the AFL in Sydney,

RiotAct

Juniors
Green Machine said:
I think you’re a little big wrong in saying ground revenue and ticket sales is a lot more impressive than TV revenue. Current TV contracts for the AFL and NRL do not support your statement. Weekly TV viewing numbers (over the whole season) do not support your theory that there is genuine wide support for the AFL in Sydney,

NSW is a Rugby League State completely, I dont mind AFL but It's league for me all the way. Having said that Sydney must surely have a genuinely good fanbase here consistantly pulling 30 000 + every home game regardless of TV ratings. Seeing 30000+ packed into the SCG week in, week out is more impressive than reading about leagues greatTV ratings and then seeing pretty terrible crowd figures. Never suggested AFL was any where near as popular as league in NSW

Green Machine

First Grade
RiotAct said:
NSW is a Rugby League State completely, I dont mind AFL but It's league for me all the way. Having said that Sydney must surely have a genuinely good fanbase here consistantly pulling 30 000 + every home game regardless of TV ratings. Seeing 30000+ packed into the SCG week in, week out is more impressive than reading about leagues greatTV ratings and then seeing pretty terrible crowd figures. Never suggested AFL was any where near as popular as league in NSW
I didn’t realise Rugby League crowd figures were that bad. In 1983 the average home ground attendance for the NSWRL was 6,969. This year the NRL finished with 16,468 season average.
30k at the SCG is not a sell out. It’s about 10k short of a sell out. The topic was never to suggest that the Swans are as popular in Sydney as Rugby League but why does a sport that has a niche market like AFL deserve top billing in the Sydney media with Rugby League, considering, that 30k go to a game and few more watching on TV, compared to 16k average who go to watch the each of Tigers, Eagles, Bulldogs, Sharks, Rabbits, Roosters, Eels, Dragons and Panthers of a weekend, plus the 400k watching on TV. Those unimpressive TV figures for the NRL will only yield them $100m a season with the next TV contract.

eelandia

Juniors
Green Machine said:
I didn’t realise Rugby League crowd figures were that bad. In 1983 the average home ground attendance for the NSWRL was 6,969. This year the NRL finished with 16,468 season average.
30k at the SCG is not a sell out. It’s about 10k short of a sell out. The topic was never to suggest that the Swans are as popular in Sydney as Rugby League but why does a sport that has a niche market like AFL deserve top billing in the Sydney media with Rugby League, considering, that 30k go to a game and few more watching on TV, compared to 16k average who go to watch the each of Tigers, Eagles, Bulldogs, Sharks, Rabbits, Roosters, Eels, Dragons and Panthers of a weekend, plus the 400k watching on TV. Those unimpressive TV figures for the NRL will only yield them $100m a season with the next TV contract.

The same 30,000 that watch the waratahs...

Paullyboy

Coach
What I cant understand is all the Swans lovers on this forum. Many of whom are the same people who bag union for no better reason than its a threat to our game.

Ive been saying it for years, union isnt half the threat AFL is.

Yet for some reason Sydney dont see it?

Green Machine

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
What I cant understand is all the Swans lovers on this forum. Many of whom are the same people who bag union for no better reason than its a threat to our game.

Ive been saying it for years, union isnt half the threat AFL is.

Yet for some reason Sydney dont see it?
I totally agree with you. The AFL is our biggest competitor. NSW and QLD is 50% of Australia’s population and the fastest growth markets. The AFL are looking to establish themselves in Sydney and South East Queensland growth markets. The AFL are not about sharing markets, they want to dominate every market. The free and easy greeting that the AFL gets in NSW and QLD is not offered to Rugby League in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia. I heard on radio today that AFL fan and NSW Premier Maurice Iemma wants to have a joint ticket tape parade for the NRL Premiers and the Swans, if they win. Just remember if you go to Telstra Stadium on Sunday and wonder why you may be seated 50 metres from the touch line, that the AFL stuck their nose into the design of a stadium (with Bob Carr’s help) that should have been for League, Union and Soccer after the Olympic Games,

Latest posts