What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Channel 10 is making me sick.. so bad I had to turn it off. Can't wait till tomorrow is over maybe then they can put some real news on and talk about a bit of decent sport too.

Brutus

Referee
RiotAct said:
You continue to miss the point.. so I give up
Stick to supporting the Dogs and give the AFL defending a rest.

Did anyone see Tim Webster on the news tonight accidently say gay fl instead of AFL? :lol:

Brutus

Referee
RiotAct said:
NSW is a Rugby League State completely, I dont mind AFL but It's league for me all the way. Having said that Sydney must surely have a genuinely good fanbase here consistantly pulling 30 000 + every home game regardless of TV ratings. Seeing 30000+ packed into the SCG week in, week out is more impressive than reading about leagues greatTV ratings and then seeing pretty terrible crowd figures. Never suggested AFL was any where near as popular as league in NSW

The Swans averaged about 27,000 at the SCG this year, the ground is on average about 60-65 per cent full. Last year the SCG average was less.

Hardly packed when 42,000 can fit into the ground.

Regardless of ratings?

The Swans pull 3 times the audience for a live H&A game against a non-Melbourne club in Melbourne than they do in Sydney.

Hell, they pull a bigger audience in Adelaide and Perth than they do in Sydney.

RiotAct

Juniors
dribble dribble, dribble dribble and dribble. 32,909 average this year, not bad considering they have no support in Sydney >_>.

gaterooze

Bench
The Waratahs have a higher crowd average than the Swans, would you say they are hugely supported in Sydney?

They can't even get on TV.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Serious Q,(i'm pissed) if you added up all the swans ratings this year, would they come close to any of the SOO figures?

sharkadelic

Juniors
Improved Crowd figures, media coverage - whatever. It is still a pointless, shirt lifters game. Bunch of Prancing ponces..... And like when the lions won 3 in a row, I still didn't give a sh*t

Foz

Bench
Swans and the Eagles were magnificent.

If you didnt appreciate that match I'm sorry you havent got blood in your veins.
Well done to all concerned.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Foz said:

If you didnt appreciate that match I'm sorry you havent got blood in your veins.
Well done to all concerned.

I watched the last 15 min and whilst it was tense for fans like yourself, there really wasn't anything about the game to suggest it being of a high standard. Blokes continually fumbling the ball tends to be forgotten by viewers when they are wrapped up in the 'action.'

If it wasn't for family playing in the game I wouldn't have cared about the result. Now though I'm rethinking that, as the AFL and associated media have already launched into anti rugby league dross. A shame really, it's their need to destroy rugby league rather than take a slice of the action that annoys people that might otherwise enjoy watching their game. The sport itself is ok, it's just that it's dominated by wankers.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Brutus said:
Stick to supporting the Dogs and give the AFL defending a rest.

Did anyone see Tim Webster on the news tonight accidently say gay fl instead of AFL? :lol:

Yeah I did, I thought maybe it was just my hearing playing tricks on me though.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Brutus said:
The Swans averaged about 27,000 at the SCG this year, the ground is on average about 60-65 per cent full. Last year the SCG average was less.

Hardly packed when 42,000 can fit into the ground.

So which Sydney teams average 27,000 in the NRL if the sport is that much better surely you have teams averaging more than 27,000 in NSW!

RiotAct

Juniors
Thats all i've been saying, but the Anti-Swans brigade will point out the TV ratings, but it still shows a genuine swans fan base :)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This poll is clearly more even than it was intended to be. Quite surprising given the amount of stupid hatred across these boards.

bayon

Juniors
Let's put this into perspective people.

Sydney Swans on grand final week, had an open training session at the SCG and 1000 fans turned up.
Last year, on the week of the blockbuster NRL match between the Brisbane Broncos and Canterbury Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium i think it was in Round 20, the Dogs arrived in Brisbane mid-week and had an open training session that attracted 3000 fans. Bear in mind, this is Brisbane we are talking about, not Belmore.

Another point, this week when the Swans flew out of Sydney Airport to Melbourne for the Grand Final, no more than a hundred supporters saw them off at the airport.
On the other hand, when the North QLD Cowboys flew out of Townsville for the Preliminary Final (yes prelim, not Grand Final like the Swans), upto 10,000 lined the streets and a couple of thousand in and outside the airport to farewell them.

So this so called support for the Swans in Sydney, i believe comprises of a core group of about 50-60,000 and the rest are bandwagoners or those with a passing interest, who would have watched the Grand Final, but not bother to watch another AFL game again.

Personally, this week i've seen more Wests Tigers apparel worn than any other footy team, followed by Dragons gear. Lets not get too worried, and by the way...i'm sure the Tigers training session this week will attract more than a measly 1000 supporters.

melon....

Coach
Its only been on Ch10...the AFL channel. Not much mention other than prime time news slot on 9 and 7....Tomorrow it will be forgotten as Sydney gets ready for a great Grand Final.

Good to see Sydney beating the AFL states at their own game, but its still AFL and its still a horrible game to watch.

gaterooze

Bench
Foz said:

Ahem.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16714862-23211,00.html

Sydney's four-point win over West Coast was fittingly won with exactly the brand of football which was so heavily criticised by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou earlier this year.

Had this been anything but a Grand Final, we might have agreed. We would probably be complaining about the standard of kicking, the mistakes under pressure and the boring nature of the one-on-one shutdown footy.

It may have been a B-grade game from start to finish, but there were B-grade heroes everywhere.

Get the red & white semen out of your eyes, Foz.