What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a game on this weekend?

LordLeague

Juniors
Just watched channel 7 and 9 news twice each this morning. The only Rugby League mention was on 9 where the RL story started "...and in Rugby League Steve Turner......." I couldn't believe it, no tri-nations whatsoever !:x

Both 7 and 9 ran extensive stories on the Walllabies and all the team changes for the BIG match against Scotland. What a joke !!

The media is giving the Steve Turner affair priority over a million positive tri nations stories they could be running.

There is so much to talk up about the Tri Nations final it is unacceptable the media are doing there best to either ignore it and the ARL marketing plan of "let the media market our games for free" policy has backfired this time.

On 7 news last night, Matthew White seemed almost excited as he announced the ARL are no chance of selling out Aussie Stadium for the final.

I pray that Sydney RL fans can see this in the media and revolt in packing out the SFS, but my gut tells me about 26,000 will be watching the final. I bought my tix in July thinking I was going to be at a sellout final. I hope I was right.

LordLeague

ali

Bench
We can't just sit back. Ring up takback, email talkback, write letters to the editor. Wear you Roos jersey out on the street. Stimulate talk and debate. If the media is going to ignore it, then make them write about it.

Overall I find the whole situation weird. I always thought the problem with Tests was a lack of anticipation of a contest. Overall, I still lay the blame on the Rugby League media. Where are our journos talking up this match? It's up to our own media to make this big. Union and AFL writers, especially in Sydney stand up for their sport! Where are our guys?

TrevorAllan

Juniors
That's exactly it Ali - the rugby league journalists just don't care. They are not stakeholders in the game like the guys who write for other codes.

There is no precedent for a match like this not being a sellout. The NRL have failed abysmally. i don't know who their media manager is - but he should resign or be sacked.

ali

Bench
Polly Mcardle (? spelling) is the media manager. Although some other guy was running the press conference in Brissie.

One thing I don't get about our journos, is that if RL is to become a bigger sport, then their pay packets will rise and they will have greater opportunities to travel and have a successful career. But the game is struggling on the back of their negativity.

I also think the NRL should hand out a yearly journalism scholarship for a mad keen RL fan who does well in the HSC. In 25 years time, we'd have 25 keen and knowledgeable RL fans working in the media.