What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is There Anything Good About Melbourne?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
People are just more chilled out and happier here in general I have noticed.

That's why I get embarrassed when people on this forum trash AFL and Melbourne, whereas people here are fascinated by Rugby League and pretend to be interested. And are curious about Sydney.

Last thing I heard, www.leagueunlimited.com was a Rugby League website.

Funny that hey??

Surrogate

Juniors
Summer in Melbourne is great. Hook Turns are ridiculous. They were invented by someone who hates pedestrians, cyclists and moving traffic. Just how many cars did the genius think could fit across two lanes?

you need to park your car on the left near the pedestrian crossing so the two lanes are free.

A couple of things I forgot.

At least I can watch NRL on FTA Channel Nein Gem. Haven't installed Foxtel yet.

What's with these pissy little 120 litre Sulo bins for general rubbish? We have 240 litre ones for green waste and recycling but Knox City Council says to have the larger bin, the rates will increase. WTF!! We are actually renting at the moment for $565/week. Great house but the entry report will scare the real estate. I refuse to cook in the oven....it's an absolute mess. Thankfully I have a new beaut BBQ.

$565 in Melbourne ?...how big is the house ?.

The bins are tiny...just dump it in the neighbours.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
$565 in Melbourne ?...how big is the house ?.

The bins are tiny...just dump it in the neighbours.

Four very generously sized bedrooms, two bathrooms (one being an ensuite with a spa bath), study, three huge living areas, big kitchen, double garage, two 3 x 3 metre sheds, kids cubby house (storage for tools...kids aren't happening anymore :p), a 12 x 5 metre undercover entertainment area, central gas heating, air conditioning, security system and a lot more. In Rowville, single storey thankfully...double storey houses are the pits.

Had to laugh at the idiot TAB girl at the Mulgrave Country Club yesterday. I put three tickets in the machine and it spat them all out without doing a thing. She said "You must come from Queensland, because you're backwards! Put them in one at a time" I replied "Lived there for eight years before coming here but the other 47 years were spent in NSW".

"Meanwhile, your Victorian TAB machine are backwards...you can put 10 - 15 tickets in a machine at once in QLD and NSW. Now you tell me who's bloody backwards?" She was as nice as pie after that. Stupid dumb f**k!

Parra

Referee
you need to park your car on the left near the pedestrian crossing so the two lanes are free.

What about the cars behind you that also need to turn right? And it's not "near" the pedestrian crossing, it is right on top of it. Pedestrians then have to walk between the hook-turner and the stopped lanes, creating a blind spot for both the pedestrians and other cars and cyclists.

Surrogate

Juniors
What about the cars behind you that also need to turn right? And it's not "near" the pedestrian crossing, it is right on top of it. Pedestrians then have to walk between the hook-turner and the stopped lanes, creating a blind spot for both the pedestrians and other cars and cyclists.

They need to queue behind you. There is enough room to fit a row of cars between the pedestrian crossing and road lane.
CIMG1227.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
The weather. The cold I don't mind having lived on Jervis Bay NSW for over 20 years from 1989 to 2007. It's just this constant dampness...nothing ever dries out. Bring on Spring and Summer.

Where did you used to live in J.B. Veggie? Where you part of the Land Based game fishing scene down there? Always love to hear tales from the fellas that fished land based down there in the Halcyon days.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Where did you used to live in J.B. Veggie? Where you part of the Land Based game fishing scene down there? Always love to hear tales from the fellas that fished land based down there in the Halcyon days.

Callala Bay/Beach.

Most of the keen fishers who lived there fished off Beecroft Peninsula, with Ladders being the popular spot along with Drum and Drumsticks. Others were Abraham's Bosom Beach and the Merimbula shipwreck at Currarong.

Back in the early 90s, Wowly Creek at Callala Bay was magic for huge school prawns...20 kgs a night if your were keen.

Edit: St Georges Head and Governors Head along with Murrays Beach were popular as well on the southern side of the Bay.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
People here seem generally friendly but there's some weird f**kers walking around here. Had some really dark African fellow walk towards me yesterday at Stud Park shops wearing a balaclava! He had the look of fear in his eyes. I said two words to him..."f**king terrorist!!" His look changed to absolute horror and scared. Suspicious looking is all I can say.

No wonder he had the look of fear in his eyes
The balaclava would have been for the cold
The Sudan is a warm climate - a balaclava is a sensible barrier against the cold

You should have said "g'day mate" those two words would have been more friendly

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Callala Bay/Beach.

Most of the keen fishers who lived there fished off Beecroft Peninsula, with Ladders being the popular spot along with Drum and Drumsticks. Others were Abraham's Bosom Beach and the Merimbula shipwreck at Currarong.

Back in the early 90s, Wowly Creek at Callala Bay was magic for huge school prawns...20 kgs a night if your were keen.

Edit: St Georges Head and Governors Head along with Murrays Beach were popular as well on the southern side of the Bay.

I head down to Currarong & fish off Beecroft peninsula as often as I can. Unfortunately most of the good land based spots are off limits now due to marine park sanctuary zones & the navy restricting access to a lot of the range (both of the ones you mentioned are no longer accessible). Would have loved to have been able to fish it back in the 80's & 90's

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I head down to Currarong & fish off Beecroft peninsula as often as I can. Unfortunately most of the good land based spots are off limits now due to marine park sanctuary zones & the navy restricting access to a lot of the range (both of the ones you mentioned are no longer accessible). Would have loved to have been able to fish it back in the 80's & 90's

In the mid 90s, I had the pleasure of fishing off the wharf at HMAS Creswell. In conjunction with the Navy and NSW Fisheries, I took a bunch of disadvantaged youths (15 boys) there for a fishing clinic.

Caught bucket loads!! Trouble was the policy of the Fisheries, it was catch and release...GRRR!!!

Those marine parks and sanctuary zones are the pits. The best bait in the bay was about 2 kms on the Currarong side of Red Rock, which is about 1.5 kms from Callala Bay boat ramp.

Beds of cockles at low tide....just walk into ankle to knee deep water with bare feet and feel them pick 'em up and chuck 'em in a bucket. Catch the best whiting, flathead and bream with them fresh.

Since about 2005, you can't touch them...f**k da sanctuary zones!!!!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You realise those sanctuary zones are where the fish can breed and grow without fishos taking them so you can have more to catch elsewhere right?