What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Trent Barrett coming home?

Maddragon99

Juniors
1) Griffin will be our head coach for at least the beginning of 2023
2) Sign Barrett as an assistant for 2023
3) Once Griffin is sacked mid 2023 give Barrett around 12 weeks as interim 1st grade coach to see what he can do.
4) Should Barrett fail sign Dean Young as head coach with Jamie Soward as an assistant for 2024.

dannyt

Coach
3) Once Griffin is sacked mid 2023 give Barrett around 12 weeks as interim 1st grade coach to see what he can do.
4) Should Barrett fail sign Dean Young as head coach with Jamie Soward as an assistant for 2024.
Noooooooooooooooooo
Barrett has failed twice as HC. Why would he successful third time around?? Was Browny??

possm

Coach
I'd rate a potential head coach's ability to coach the Dragans as follows:
1. Flannagan
2. Maguire
3. Potter
4. Brown
5. Barrett

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
1.Agree , can't see our Board having the balls to move him on, but sacking him after 6-8 rounds possibly wastes another year
2.We could do better but that's how we roll
3.Hell No, why the f**k would we do that, he has had 2 chances and blown them
4.No to Dean Young and Jamie Soward, Young can come to us when he has had head coaching experience(successfully) with at least one or two other clubs, No to Soward as HC as well, wasn't impressed with some of his coaching of the WNRL side mainly interchange bench and tactics on last tackle.

I want Flanagan to take over, simple as that...

blacksafake

First Grade
Barrett's lack of coaching success is a worry, but if he's returning in an assistant's role, I don't see that as a bad thing. He's worked at two major clubs (Penrith & Canterbury) so he will at least know their systems. He's worked at a club with political in-fighting (Manly) so should know how to work around it. He was able to get good players to Canterbury, or at least good players weren't put off going to Canterbury with him as coach. He's younger than Hook and hopefully has a better understanding of the modern game. I understand it's a risky move but I wouldn't feel pessimistic if it happens.
He supposedly gets on well with youngsters which would be a bonus.

dannyt

Coach
Yeah Browny won a comp with the third team he coached (St Helens). So yes he was successful third time around.
Cool. Valid point. Some may say obtuse because the discussion was obviously centred on NRL, not ESL, but you saw a loophole and exploited it.

The Warriors say hi. They are not doing cartwheels over Browny's tenure as coach, even though he won a comp with his third team, which was St Helens in the ESL, but failed with the Warriors, which was his third NRL team.

Better?

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
He has had experience in a couple of systems now so should have an idea of what works & what doesn't. Got to be better than the nuff nuffs that have been in the attacking AC role in the past .I believe why not , with the caveat that he never will be the head coach.
I dont know what Barretts role would be , Attack coach?
Good at panthers but they actually had good players

Dogs attack was aweful when he was there, who was the attack coach there? How much was Barrett to blame for this

At least Flanagan has won a premiership FFS and the players like him and would likley play for him , unlike Hook and prior Mary . You need a coach the players buy in with the vision and play hard for the coach

Hasnt happened at saints since 2010 !!

justadragon

Bench
1.Agree , can't see our Board having the balls to move him on, but sacking him after 6-8 rounds possibly wastes another year
2.We could do better but that's how we roll
3.Hell No, why the f**k would we do that, he has had 2 chances and blown them
4.No to Dean Young and Jamie Soward, Young can come to us when he has had head coaching experience(successfully) with at least one or two other clubs, No to Soward as HC as well, wasn't impressed with some of his coaching of the WNRL side mainly interchange bench and tactics on last tackle.

I want Flanagan to take over, simple as that...
Agree with all you say, I would take Soward as AC, he will still learn a lot from this seasons NRLW.

Mjab

Juniors
actually sounds OK, in fact too sensible , so cant happen

Latest posts