What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isaiah Papali’i

Tigerm

First Grade

Wests Tigers sign Isaiah Papali’i​

AuthorWests TigersTimestampThu 18 Nov 2021, 04:00 PM

Wests Tigers are pleased to confirm that Dally M Second Rower of the Year Isaiah Papali’i has agreed to join the club from the start of the 2023 NRL season.

The 23-year-old Papali’i — who is contracted with the Parramatta Eels for the 2022 campaign — has signed a three-year contract that will see him feature in Wests Tigers colours from the start of the 2023 season until at least the end of 2025.

A Te Atatu Roosters junior from Auckland, Papali'i made his NRL debut for the New Zealand Warriors in 2017 — playing 63 games across four seasons — before linking up with the Eels ahead of the 2021 season.
The New Zealand and Samoa international representative enjoyed a breakout season in 2021, going on to be named the Dally M Second Rower of the Year.
Wests Tigers Director of Football Tim Sheens said he was pleased to add a player of Papali’i’s calibre to the club.
“Isaiah is an exceptionally talented young forward who has shown himself to be a player with a fantastic attitude, work-ethic and drive,” Sheens said.
wt2022_signing_isaiah-papalii_fb.jpg

“We firmly believe that his best football is still ahead of him and we’re very excited to see him progress in next steps of his rugby league career with Wests Tigers.”
Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said Papali’i’s signing was a strong show of intent from the club.
“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to say how pleased we are to have secured Isaiah at the club long-term,” Pascoe said.
“His commitment is a strong reflection of what we’re building on and off the field at Wests Tigers and we’re looking forward to welcoming him at the start of the 2023 season.”

Tiger05

First Grade
Great Signing, Luch can kiss that$750 k goodbye. $450 tops for him.

I'd give him more than $450k but not much more. I like him. I'm fine with letting him go as well. We can't keep paying overs to retain our half decent players.

Someone2

Juniors
Matterson >Daylight > papa

a one season wonder in a top 4 side .wonder how he will go when he goes back to another cellar dweller club like the tigers

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Matterson >Daylight > papa

a one season wonder in a top 4 side .wonder how he will go when he goes back to another cellar dweller club like the tigers
The only reason Matterson gets to stay at Parramatta next year is because the option in his contract is in his favour otherwise Parra would dump him. Caĺled up to State of origin with the tigers moved to the eels and hasn't had a look in since. His dreams of rep footy are over.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Papali'i is a f**king awesome signing. The kid has so much potential and has already proved he can play. A very un-Tigers like signing which gives me hope we have finally started getting our shit together. Hopefully Parra will release him early but given how butthurt the fans already are I doubt it.

Hopefully this also sets a reasonable price for Luciano to re-sign. We can now say, "mate, you are worth 450k but we really want you to stay so we will offer 500k" and he will accept and form a lethal back row with Papali'i and Peachy at 13

tigre

Juniors
Bloody awesome signing.

This is from the daily telegraph:

Parramatta offered about $550,000 a season but were gazumped by the Tigers, who are believed to have tabled an offer worth nearly $2 million.
As for Hodgson, Sheens said: “It is in Canberra’s court. They have to make a decision.”

Tiger05

First Grade
Bloody awesome signing.

This is from the daily telegraph:

Parramatta offered about $550,000 a season but were gazumped by the Tigers, who are believed to have tabled an offer worth nearly $2 million.
As for Hodgson, Sheens said: “It is in Canberra’s court. They have to make a decision.”

Apparently we are paying 600k per season. So 50k per season more than Parra. I reckon he just wants out of a club going nowhere.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Apparently we are paying 600k per season. So 50k per season more than Parra. I reckon he just wants out of a club going nowhere.
This is amazing

I went to have a quick look at theEels forum last night and ended up stuck in there. The place has absolutely gone into meltdown. Papali’i has gone from being a must keep to complete crap who was only good because he was in a ‘good system’ 😂. Excuse me from pissing myself laughing, a good system which has won 2 finals games in 12 years, the exact same many as we have 😂

Papalli is a great get on fair money and a massive shot of confidence for the clubs new off field team. The Eels have now lost 3 of their best young players in the past 2 seasons despite offering them all contracts and still have 4 to 5 of their best players off contract and publicly shopping themselves around. Writing is on the wall.

Tiger05

First Grade
The Eels have now lost 3 of their best young players in the past 2 seasons despite offering them all contracts and still have 4 to 5 of their best players off contract and publicly shopping themselves around. Writing is on the wall.

They are getting screwed over. Players are always going to be about the money especially when they get some power like is happening at Parra now.

I love Matterson (just to be clear I love seeing him screw himself over). That guy can play. He has a toxic attitude though and he screwed himself over leaving the Tigers. Now he is getting screwed. Same as Woodsy the dumb merkin.