What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It’s D-day for Daniel

Avenger

Immortal
PARRAMATTA whiz Daniel Mortimer has dropped a bombshell by vowing to sign a two-year contract with the Eels or Bulldogs before round one.

In a statement that flies in the face of earlier comments by himself and his father Peter, 20-year-old Mortimer told RLW he didn’t want the saga to drag on beyond the March 12 clash with St George Illawarra.

He will field formal offers from his current club and the home of his famous clan over the next fortnight – and the indications are that the Eels remain favourites.

“I’d like to get it done by round one, so I’ve got a few big weeks ahead of me,” Mortimer says.

“It’s Parra or the Bulldogs. I’ll do a couple of years (although) anything can happen. It’s a big decision but it’s a good decision to have to make. Two great clubs are interested in having me. It’s a good position to be in.”

Over the summer, Mortimer said he would “take his time” with a decision while Peter said there would be no call until the middle of the season. The fast track approach could be good news for Eels supporters if this explanation is anything to go by:

“If I am staying at Parra, I’d like to get it done by round one so I know I’m here for the long haul,” Daniel says.

Despite the contracts set to be thrown at him this week, Mortimer is not even guaranteed a starting spot against the Dragons according to his coach.

“All three boys will play again next week – Jeff Robson, Kris Keating and Morts,” said Daniel Anderson in the wake of last Sunday’s trial against the Dragons. We’ve got some luxury in that we’ve got competition for spots.”

Mortimer commented: “The other two players have had good off-seasons… any of us could fill the position really well. It’s a tough battle but that’s why everyone’s playing so well – because there’s so much tension on each position.”

Source: Steve Mascord, Rugby League Week, page 5, 17 February 2010.

Avenger

Immortal
My tip:

Mortimer stays, KK or Mateo to the Dogs especially if we do not offload Inu.

PS

Everyone owes me again for typing the article out. :D

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
My tip:

Mortimer stays, KK or Mateo to the Dogs especially if we do not offload Inu.

PS

Everyone owes me again for typing the article out. :D

:thumb Thanks for getting this up Avenger.

I'm already on edge waiting for the season to start up and now this, god I hope he signs with us :pray:

Suitman

Post Whore
Who get's the impression that the Dogs are just vultures waiting to pounce on ANY of our players?

Scum.

Suity

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What, is there a written law that the Eels must finish first in every publication?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Yeap Timmah - thats the rule!

Thanks Avenger - very nervewracking article!

sooperdooper

First Grade
Hmmmm i like this approach from Daniel.
As if he doesnt stay with us we can focus money and attention on KK and Mateo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well at least we will now by round 1, hope we don't lose anyone but thats the way it goes i suppose.

SDM

First Grade
If they play like they did in the finals last year, Dogs wont make the 8.

yy_cheng

Coach
INteresting thought?

Why is Mortz a permanent fixture?

With so much support for Robbo, why wouldn't we see

6. KK
7. Robbo

14. Mortz.

I would go this way if he doesn't stay at Parra. Throw more game time at KK and hope he stays.

TBH, Mortz would make a great 14.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Hmmmm i like this approach from Daniel.
As if he doesnt stay with us we can focus money and attention on KK and Mateo.

That's a great point - well done by Daniel and his manager.
Another upside is once he's signed either way, he can focus on his footy - which regardless will be with us for 2010.

It's WIN/WIN at this stage, and hopefully WIN/WIN/WIN if he agrees to terms with Parra!!

so if daniel agrees to go to the dogs, would that mean that he plays wentworthville with kk and robson in the halves and someone like mitchell on the bench hooker role?

Latest posts