What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

If nothing else, it gives the Firehawks and Jets time to merge.
From memory they’ve sent preliminary business plans to the NRL and would’ve had in/formal feedback.
this 12 months might be the catalyst to include two Brisbane teams over 2 seasons and really stick it to the AFL
Two teams would seal Brisbane as an RL city that AwFuL cannot conquer. It would kill off the Roar and Reds as well. The extra derbies would create a massive buzz around the metropolitan area at least six times a year for the games between Bris 1, 2 and 3. Add another six games for Titans and Cowboys when they play at Lang Park against Bris 1, 2 and 3.

The Queensland Gov could use the derbies between the extra teams as must-see events for tourists and businessmen from Asia to see that Brisbane has a large market for them to tap into and RL is the best conduit connecting them with it. With so much commerce based in China and Japan, it would be great to use the corporate boxes at Lang Park as to conduct business meetings and push the NRL as Australasia's answer to the EPL/NFL/NBL. Unlike those three sports leagues, the NRL is in a friendly time zone to East Asia and is a great product showcasing the best RL players in the world.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Port Adelaide went with a neutral brand and until very recently distanced themselves from the Magpies brand as much as possible, and what PR said of Freemantle is also true.

In other words, no it hasn't worked for the AFL as the AFL has never attempted what the Dolphins are attempting.
Please give me a succinct summary of what the Dolphins are trying to do.

Jamberoo

Juniors
dockers arent a wafl club promoted, it was a new entity with a new brand designed to appeal to the whole of southern metro perth region. It has no ownership or links with any pre existing wafl clubs.totally different in fact to what’s about to happen in nrl.
No true. In fact their initial jersey was designed to represent both South and East Fremantle.

Jamberoo

Juniors
We really need to have 3 teams in Brisbane before the Brisbane 2032 Olympics. The world will be watching Brisbane and it is imperative it knows we are an RL loving city. AwFuL will try their best to pretend it's a fumbleball city and will talk non-stop about the main Olympic Stadium, the Gabba, being the home of the Lions. Three teams, with Lang Park hosting soccer and hopefully the RL Nines in 2032, will allow us to promote our game and allow the Dolphins, Firehawks, Titans, Cowboys and Broncos to grow their brand around the world.
Spot on. And with the Lions not able to play at the Gabba in 2027/28 whilst it is rebuilt, it is the perfect time to do it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I reckon rugby league, and the NRL in particular, has the potential to become as big as the NFL/EPL. It's never been promoted to the rest of the world, largely due to politics from the other code and self interest from our administrators. The free advertising from being at the 2032 Brisbane Olympics could be a game changer.
There won't be any free advertising from the Olympics though...

Even if there was any interest from international media the IOC would shut that shit down quick smart, and I can't see why there would be any interest from media anyway. I mean have you noticed a significant increase in reporting on Japanese competitions because of the Olympics?!

All domestic competitions will be forced to suspend their competitions while the Olympics take place anyway, so I don't even see how tourists in Brisbane could realistically be exposed to the NRL en masse, let alone the fanciful idea of global exposure.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'll defer to your superior knowledge of my city then... hats off to you sir!
Whether you realise it or not you have put yourself in the position of arguing that people in Brisbane either don't, or at least are less likely to, form collective identity groups.

Which is just crazy talk.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
No true. In fact their initial jersey was designed to represent both South and East Fremantle.
Though initially there was talk in the media that the team would be called the Sharks and would share elements of both South and East Freemantle's brands that never happened, and was probably just speculation in the media.

I'm not even sure what you are talking about, when you say that the 'initial jersey was designed to represent both South and East Fremantle', because aside from red being one of South's colours none of the Dockers design elements were shared by the other two clubs.

If, as I suspect, you mean the red and green in the colour scheme then you are mistaken. Red and green were chosen to be part of the Dockers colour scheme because green is the colour for starboard and red the colour for port. In other words it had nothing to do with either South or East Freemantle and was simply expanding on the nautical theme.

It doesn't matter anyway, because even if the Dockers jersey did carry minor elements of South and East Freemantle's jersey designs the Dockers is still a neutral brand, so the point is irrelevant to the argument at hand anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
A merger of the two would be brilliant, and the ultimate trump card that pushes Redcliffe out of the reckoning for Brisbane 2.

FireJets as Brisbane 2, and a Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast club as the 18th team (if the NRL really want a conservative option for 18th team instead of NZ 2 or Perth) could be the go...
Nothing about that sounds brilliant...

An Easts-Ipswich merger would create a Frankenstein club that wants to be everything to everyone. It'd be Brisbane's answer to the Wests Tigers trying to represent both the inner west and Campbelltown and failing at both as a result.

And there's no way you can justify 3 clubs in Brisbane, or 4 in SEQ, while large markets like WA and SA go without a first. Maybe if Sydney was rationalised, but that's never going to happen.

There won't be any free advertising from the Olympics though...

Even if there was any interest from international media the IOC would shut that shit down quick smart, and I can't see why there would be any interest from media anyway. I mean have you noticed a significant increase in reporting on Japanese competitions because of the Olympics?!

All domestic competitions will be forced to suspend their competitions while the Olympics take place anyway, so I don't even see how tourists in Brisbane could realistically be exposed to the NRL en masse, let alone the fanciful idea of global exposure.
When the Opening Ceremony is conducted the commentators are made to speak about local culture and history. There should be a segment during the Opening Ceremony celebrating the history of RL in Queensland and billing it as the sport that unites Queenslanders. They can roll out Origin legends like Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer and Jason Smith, who @I Bleed Maroon knows a lot about. The statues of Lewis and Lockyer at Lang Park can be promoted heavily with a highlights package of their career achievements. It'll send the Peter Fitzsimonses ane Caroline Wilsons of the media over the edge, which will make the entire event money well spent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Vlandys thought Ch9 was ready to stump up big money for another Brisbane club there would be no way they would be delaying a decision and losing out on that money in 2023. I'm now concerned that they are going to bring this extra club in with no significant increase in media revenue when they could and should be bringing in two teams for the extra content that would definitely add to the value. Signing early with Fox has screwed that chance though. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Jamberoo

Juniors
And? It was a nod to the two fremantle WAFL clubs that was changed pretty quickly, the Dockers were not a rebranded existing second tier club Like the dolphins would be.
Just correcting you. The Dockers WERE trying to represent the two existing Fremantle clubs by combining the colours in their jumpers. And it was not changed quickly. They had that jumper for the first 16 years.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Please take the effort to read and understand the discussion before trying to participate in it.
You have written a lot in this thread. Not sure how many people agree with you. Just hoping for a succinct summary of what the Dolphins are doing that you are so against.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just correcting you. The Dockers WERE trying to represent the two existing Fremantle clubs by combining the colours in their jumpers. And it was not changed quickly. They had that jumper for the first 16 years.
And I'm just correcting you-
If, as I suspect, you mean the red and green in the colour scheme then you are mistaken. Red and green were chosen to be part of the Dockers colour scheme because green is the colour for starboard and red the colour for port. In other words it had nothing to do with either South or East Freemantle and was simply expanding on the nautical theme.
Green and Purple aren't even one of either South or East Freemantle's colours... So yeah.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You have written a lot in this thread. Not sure how many people agree with you. Just hoping for a succinct summary of what the Dolphins are doing that you are so against.
Fine we'll rehash this for the millionth time.

The Redcliffe Dolphins are trying to be promoted from a lower tier competition into the NRL without making any significant changes to their branding or club, thus carrying their history with them into the NRL.

Bringing in Redcliffe as the Dolphins will alienate thousands of potential customers because those potential customers have their own history of supporting other teams and hating Redcliffe. This is especially bad when one of the main target audiences the second Brisbane side will need to get onboard if they are to be successful in any meaningful way are local community club fans that aren't Broncos fans.

History comes with baggage, and we'd be idiots to carry it when could just create a neutral brand and not alienate anybody.

And that's not the only problem with Redcliffe's bid either...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes they do. Over a QLD cup team though?
Obviously they form identities over Qld cup teams.

If they didn't they wouldn't exist, let alone grow big enough to be able to buy entry into the NRL...
Those groups are smaller and less important than you are making them out to be.
Tell that to these guys- https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/...ll-be-a-red-and-white-failure/comment-page-4/
I'm just going to keep posting that link until you address it. Of course you can't address it because it's an undeniable example of why what the Dolphins are attempting is such a bad idea.

It's also nice to know that you think that community and junior footy in Brisbane is small and unimportant, especially when one of the foundational arguments for a second Brisbane club is 'look how big footy in Brisbane is and how few are supporting the Broncos'. I mean FFS.

Last edited: