What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a team in Singapore in 2033": Some random poster on the internet

Singapore...

It has quickly become a thing.

The newest frontier for NRL expansion. The 18th NRL team.

On the doorstep to Asia.

Population of 5.5 million (bigger than Sydney).

Sponsors; fans at the ready.

Friendly time zone GMT 8+, which is the same as Perth in winter. Sunday Night Footy live from Singapore a ratings winner on the Eastern Coast.

Undercover, National Stadium just waiting to be utilised.

Ideal weekend destination for players, WAGS and Duty Free.

The Pride of Singapore...

"Oh how they laughed when we said we'd establish a team in Melbourne...but look at them now!" : Some random NSWRL fossil.

Singapore...it's just makes sense.

Would have polled in the News Ltd NRL Fans POLL this week...but it is so fresh, so low key, so under-stated...that the fans deliberately did not vote for Singapore, assuming it was a fait accompli.

Discuss...

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 12.41.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 12.49.33 pm.png

MugaB

Coach
Singapore...

It has quickly become a thing.

The newest frontier for NRL expansion. The 18th NRL team.

On the doorstep to Asia.

Population of 5.5 million (bigger than Sydney).

Sponsors; fans at the ready.

Friendly time zone GMT 8+, which is the same as Perth in winter. Sunday Night Footy live from Singapore a ratings winner on the Eastern Coast.

Undercover, National Stadium just waiting to be utilised.

Ideal weekend destination for players, WAGS and Duty Free.

The Pride of Singapore...

"Oh how they laughed when we said we'd establish a team in Melbourne...but look at them now!" : Some random NSWRL fossil.

Singapore...it's just makes sense.

Would have polled in the News Ltd NRL Fans POLL this week...but it is so fresh, so low key, so under-stated...that the fans deliberately did not vote for Singapore, assuming it was a fait accompli.

Discuss...

View attachment 53025

View attachment 53026
C1CCD746-6CE6-4F46-ABE1-2DD6D1862F3F.gif
BWAHAHAHAHA

Demographics and capital will decide the future of the NRL. Culture changes rapidly in an interconnected world and technology brings people closer.

NBL had the Singapore Slingers around a decade ago. They still play in a SEA league. They were probably 20-30 years ahead of their time.

Looks like the mental midget whose idea this is doesn't realise this thread is taking the piss out of his moronic idea.
I know it's mockery by an Elmer Fudds fan and the two myopic trolls of Sydney who hang around the expansion forum heaping shit on others because they desperately want the NRL to remain a Sydney-centric competiton.

Need I remind you that the Sydney media and NSWRFL were every bit as snide and hateful towards the QRL requesting State of Origin replace the old interstate residency rules?

How did that work out?

MugaB

Coach
I know it's mockery by an Elmer Fudds fan and the two myopic trolls of Sydney who hang around the expansion forum heaping shit on others because they desperately want the NRL to remain a Sydney-centric competiton.

Need I remind you that the Sydney media and NSWRFL were every bit as snide and hateful towards the QRL requesting State of Origin replace the old interstate residency rules?

How did that work out?
Huh? Wrong thread buddy, this is the Singapore Lions thread, please don't derail mad hatters thread.... seriously

How did that work out?
Actually, when you look at it, Singapore is a goer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be a cracking away game weekend. sinagapores my fave city in the world. I’d be a member of the singapore slings!

I wonder if 40 years ago short sighted union fans would have laughed at the idea of fully professional leagues in japan and Italy, and France being the most lucrative comp in world union?
Stranger things have happened than rugby league actually managing to grow beyond two Australian states and the M62!

I think Singapore makes good conversation.

There a number of benefits. The hurdles are few, and with time and investment, could potentially be a very lucrative RL franchise.

If they had Perth and Singapore, you shore up the west with two clubs. East coast teams could do a road trip double Perth and Singapore and home.

Hartwood

Juniors
A Singaporean team, or any Asian team for that matter will not happen anytime soon, and most likely not happen ever. A more realistic option would be a separate SE Asian competition featuring teams from Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. If done right then this maybe could have potential, would still be a risk that I doubt many investors would be keen to be involved in.

I don't think giving teams to countries that have shown zero interest in our game is good way to grow the sport, but introducing rl to other countries and starting up semi-pro comps with correct development pathways may pave a way for a future nrl team

Sending Rugby League players to live and play in a Country where you get whipped with a Rattan Cane for simply littering....

How the f*** will any player survive over there. They'll cop more floggings that a teenagers d!ck..

Maybe we should get Mark Coyne over there to establish the franchise. Oh hold on...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see the new Super RU comp will have two pacific islander teams in it. I bet if you'd have said that ten years ago the toffs would have scoffed as well! Vision, strategy, investment, ability. RL has always lacked in those areas.
Was in a beach bar in Thailand once and saw the saying 'you cant do epic sht with average people'. Sums up RL administration!

Latest posts