What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It takes one to win one!

chileman

Coach
It's probably been said before but as a Manly supporter I went through this in 2007 only to turn it around in 2008 in grand style and I can see the Eels go through a similar loss/win scenario in back to back GF's if they keep the same squad and coaching staff! It hurts one year, we had Brett Stewart taken out although we weren't close to winning anyway, but your mob had a rough call there at the end that could have turned the game or at least leveled the scores up......but you get through it and tae it on the chin to use it the next season. Bad luck Parra, as a Manly supporter I still can't stand Parra as you guys can't stand us, but that's the beauty of our sport and I can at least admire what you have achieved this season and you do have a fantastic CEO in Paul Osbourne there plus a good coach....and if I can compare the great Beaver Menzies to a certain Nathan Hindmarsh....well IF you make the GF next season who knows what that could be for Hindy....:)

bartman

Immortal
Cheers Chile.

I reckon we will be better for the run. Melbourne's recent GF experience definitely helped their composure in the first half, and next year that will be us.

Bring on 2010!

murraymob

Coach
history does show that pretty o the ball

penrith lost the 1990 grand final before winning the 1991 .So get you money on the eels for next year

UVU

Juniors
The saying is: You've got to lose a GF before winning a GF. This goes for 'good' teams. However, SUPER Teams don't have to.
Brisbane BRONCOS, got in the GF in 1992, won it... backed it up 1993 for 2 in a row...from last spot in the Finals series.
BRONCOS = Super RL team

bartman

Immortal
Come back to us when you've won three in a row, like the Super Eels have... :arrow:

natheel

Coach
well the good thing is we will improve our squad for next year thats for sure and i doubt we will be coming from 8th next year to get there

fingers crossed boys

its gunna be a looong off season

Gordy

Juniors
It's probably been said before but as a Manly supporter I went through this in 2007 only to turn it around in 2008 in grand style and I can see the Eels go through a similar loss/win scenario in back to back GF's if they keep the same squad and coaching staff! It hurts one year, we had Brett Stewart taken out although we weren't close to winning anyway, but your mob had a rough call there at the end that could have turned the game or at least leveled the scores up......but you get through it and tae it on the chin to use it the next season. Bad luck Parra, as a Manly supporter I still can't stand Parra as you guys can't stand us, but that's the beauty of our sport and I can at least admire what you have achieved this season and you do have a fantastic CEO in Paul Osbourne there plus a good coach....and if I can compare the great Beaver Menzies to a certain Nathan Hindmarsh....well IF you make the GF next season who knows what that could be for Hindy....:)

Thanks Chileman. You make some good points there.:cool:

Thanks Chile....I know the feeling of not being in the GF and giving other club's kudos after the end of season.

You do draw good comparisons.

salvy71

Juniors
The saying is: You've got to lose a GF before winning a GF. This goes for 'good' teams. However, SUPER Teams don't have to.
Brisbane BRONCOS, got in the GF in 1992, won it... backed it up 1993 for 2 in a row...from last spot in the Finals series.
BRONCOS = Super RL team

They played a team who also had little grand final experience in 1992 in St George - that's where the lose one/win one theory doesn't apply .....just as the Tigers beat the Cowboys in 2005 ......
The only inexperienced team that's beaten an experienced Grand Final team from memory is the Panthers beating the Roosters in 2003 and the Dogs over them in 2004 .....although the Dogs did have a few left over from the 98 grand final I think ....

Angry_eel

First Grade
One thing I must say is that with Parramatta don't expect anything. Every year we don't expect something, we end up getting into the finals.

salvy71

Juniors
I just hope they make another grand final in the next couple of years to capitalise on last nights experience .....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2001 I think we just never recovered, players lost form still hurt from the loss, plus we lost key players Taylor and Marsh. Injuries hurt us too.

If Parramatta stays healthy and maintains the same form they'll probably go close.

As Angry Eel Im not expecting anything. As much as I hope we recover and go one better, Im not expecting too much.

El Diablo

Post Whore
just saw Hindy on Sky News at the fan day and he didn't sound too confident

said he didn't know if we would be as good next year

he knows you have to take the chance when you get it as it may never happen again.

El Diablo

Post Whore
And like Hindy did, now the rest of them know too...

i recall reading something during the week where Luke Burt told the players this may be the only chance they ever get to win a GF

losing one doesn't increase your odds of winning one or even getting to another

Hanscholo

Bench
you dont need to lose one to win one. Sometimes, as with Melbourne this year it helps spur you on, but it isnt required, nor is it wanted. Several sides in recent history have won premierships with a full team of debutants, including Melbourne, Tigers, Brisbane and Newcastle. Its a myth.

lucablight

First Grade
The saying you have to lose a grand final to win one is a myth. Every grand final is a standalone game and they have nothing to do with each other. We have the playing talent to win it next year and if we do it won't be because we lost this one.