What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

italian appeals- sentences reduced

sunny

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=374375&cc=3436

Court confirm Juve drop, Lazio and Viola reprieve

ROME, July 25 (Reuters) - The relegation of Juventus to Serie B for their role in a match-fixing scandal was confirmed by an Italian soccer appeal court on Tuesday but Lazio and Fiorentina received a reprieve and will stay in Serie A.

AC Milan will also remain in the top flight as decided at a previous hearing but with a smaller number of points deducted - minus eight rather than minus 15.
Crucially, the six-times European champions will now be entered for the third qualifying round of the Champions League after their points penalty on last season's tally was reduced.

weasel

First Grade
I'm ok with the revised punishments for Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina, but AC Milan have basically copped no penalty. There was a twelve point gap between them in 2nd and Inter in 3rd last season, so an 8 point penalty isn't going to harm them that much, and it's not like they're gonna have any troubles making champions league through the qualifying round.

Any team found guilty of any involvement in match-fixing should not be allowed to compete in Europe, at least for a few years. Also feel sorry for Palermo, and especially Marco Bresciano, who will now miss out on his chance of playing in the Champions League, because of this cop out.

hooray! thats awesome, despite juve not being back in. good to see Milan in europe! im def not a Milan fan, but its great to have them there.

The Devil

Bench
weasel said:
Also feel sorry for Palermo, and especially Marco Bresciano, who will now miss out on his chance of playing in the Champions League, because of this cop out.

Bresciano had no chance of playing in the Champions League. Palermo took the last UEFA cup spot when the penalties were handed out, not Champions League spot.

weasel

First Grade
Sorry devil, but you're wrong. Palermo finished eighth, but with Juventus, Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio ahead of them all bumped out of the picture, they were set to be awarded the fourth CL spot. This is because Milan was originally stripped 44 points from last season's standings, putting them behind Palermo, who finished on 52 points, but a reduced points deduction meant their position was revised to see them finish narrowly ahead of Palermo.

Anyway, UEFA have decided to intervene and are considering preventing Milan from competing in Europe this season, so we could yet see Bresciano in the CL.

The Devil

Bench
Hmmm then the article that i read must've been wrong, my mistake.

I'm surprised there haven't been any more socceroo movements though especially since all the talk about players moving onto bigger and better things. Yet the biggest news would be Bresciano to Palermo, Popovic to Qatar(or in the middle east) and Vidmar to A-League.

Back on topic though, the sentences have been too lenient on all bar Juve. If you're caught breaking the rules you deserve to be punished. The punishment handed out to Milan is a slap on the wrist to them. All teams should suffer like Juve, where they've had top line players leaving, like rats and a sinking ship.

Matt23

Staff member
Italian football remains on the nose, they might has well have removed Milan's "penalty" completly :roll:. Basically the penalties are nothing more then a slap on the wrist now.

I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned they were found guilt of match fixing....I mean MATCH FIXING now to me they have laid down a penalty and they should be re-inforcing these penalties....Now rather than giving the message "we mean buisness, we will punish you harshley for these kind of breaches" they are giving the message "It's ok you can do it you wont be harshley punished for them" Sorry but something is up there.....why, one minute are they bringing out the cane and the next minute they are bringing out a candy cane!

they were probably thinking, "these are some of the biggest teams in Italy, so we are killing our league", But the thing is they kept Juve down there and with that Italy lose there 2nd best league spot to England now.

Tom Shines

First Grade
What do you mean, now?
The Premiership has been better than Serie A for at least three years now.

Latest posts