What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian club joins French DN2

langpark

First Grade
Italian club Saluzzo joins French DN2 after 15 months of discussions apparently.

http://www.ffr13.fr/actualite-international/un-club-italien-integre-le-championnat-francais-de-dn2/

Now, hopefully one of the French-speakers here can help out, one thing that's unclear to me, is this just a one-off tournament or is a regular league that they are joining? I see Saluzzo is very close to the French border, but because the alps are in between them, it's a 5-hour journey to reach the other teams in the group (Caumont and Ocriers d'Apt). So it doesn't seem feasible for them to be playing in this league.

adamkungl

Immortal
DN2 is essentially 4th division?

As i understand, the structure is

Elite 1
Elite 2
Nationals: DN1 East - DN1 West
Regionals: DN2 Aquitaine - DN2 LRMP (A, B, C grades + age divisions) - DN2 Paca (A,B grades + age divisions)

From what I can gather there also is a a DN2 Ile de France region featuring teams from around Paris and Nantes?

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
DN2 is pretty much 4th division, although these guys are in DN2 B, so it's possibly closer to 5th division .

Regardless, the standard of competition would be significantly higher than the FIRL competition and the season would be significantly longer.

A great way to help this group of players improve and will hopefully lead to improved standards in the FIRL competition (as they'll be playing in both) and maybe a few Italian players being picked up in Elite 1 and 2.

adamkungl

Immortal
DN2 is pretty much 4th division, although these guys are in DN2 B, so it's possibly closer to 5th division .

Regardless, the standard of competition would be significantly higher than the FIRL competition and the season would be significantly longer.

A great way to help this group of players improve and will hopefully lead to improved standards in the FIRL competition (as they'll be playing in both) and maybe a few Italian players being picked up in Elite 1 and 2.

Yep stuff like this is key to improving national standards.

If they're smart the Italians would schedule their shorter season to run before or after the French season, to allow their top talents to play in France then come back to the Italian comp.

Latest posts