What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's a shame about the Broncos

Dutch Oven

Juniors
What a damn shame that tradionally great rugby league town of Brisbane is represented in the national competition by a team most Brisbanites have little time for.

We've all see the potential of a Brisbane ARL/NRL team in the early 90's. Average crowds of over 40,000 at a ground that was more suited to javelin throwing and 800 metre running. They really had the Brisbane public in the palm of their hands around that period. The us v them Sydney thing worked a treat and Brisbane had a team they could identify with (a few disgruntled ex-BRL fans excluded)

Since then they have conspired to get rid of a team introduced into the comp to capitalise on the Brisbane public's love affair with the game (the crushers) and we all now they wanted the Gold Coast punted on top of that. They even had a clause written into their contract saying they had to be the only team in SE QLD. They were also won of the main players in Super League and wanted to cull many traditional Sydney Clubs. Most of their players over the years couldn't be more down to earth, but they have suffered as a result of the clubs privatley-owned attituide taking over. It breeds selfishness and many fans could see this.

Think Adelaide Crows, think West Coast Eagles and that's what the Broncos were, but will never be again. Instead of 35-50,000 crowds we see 18-30,000 crowds on a regular basis. They also don't rate as well as they used to. A Broncos game would make the top 10 every week. Friday nights usually secured top spot. The Broncos once had a motgage on all the casual sporting fans in Brisbane - they can now be seen at the Gabba and many have been turned into big AFL fans. What's even sadder is that many hardcore league fans in Brisbane care little for them as well.

Opportunity blown.

Well done Broncos.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Every broncos game i've been too in brisbane has topped 30,000 so i don't know what you're on about, anyone got home crowd figures?

RLS

Juniors
Dutch Oven said:
What a damn shame that tradionally great rugby league town of Brisbane is represented in the national competition by a team most Brisbanites have little time for.

We've all see the potential of a Brisbane ARL/NRL team in the early 90's. Average crowds of over 40,000 at a ground that was more suited to javelin throwing and 800 metre running. They really had the Brisbane public in the palm of their hands around that period. The us v them Sydney thing worked a treat and Brisbane had a team they could identify with (a few disgruntled ex-BRL fans excluded)

Since then they have conspired to get rid of a team introduced into the comp to capitalise on the Brisbane public's love affair with the game (the crushers) and we all now they wanted the Gold Coast punted on top of that. They even had a clause written into their contract saying they had to be the only team in SE QLD. They were also won of the main players in Super League and wanted to cull many traditional Sydney Clubs. Most of their players over the years couldn't be more down to earth, but they have suffered as a result of the clubs privatley-owned attituide taking over. It breeds selfishness and many fans could see this.

Think Adelaide Crows, think West Coast Eagles and that's what the Broncos were, but will never be again. Instead of 35-50,000 crowds we see 18-30,000 crowds on a regular basis. They also don't rate as well as they used to. A Broncos game would make the top 10 every week. Friday nights usually secured top spot. The Broncos once had a motgage on all the casual sporting fans in Brisbane - they can now be seen at the Gabba and many have been turned into big AFL fans. What's even sadder is that many hardcore league fans in Brisbane care little for them as well.

Opportunity blown.

Well done Broncos.

You're an idiot...

Ghoulies

Bench
Average crowds of over 40,000 at a ground that was more suited to javelin throwing and 800 metre running
That's true, but those were the days when it would cost you less than $20 to take a family of four to watch the footy at ANZ.

McLovin

Staff member
Broncos teams of the past was dynamic. Huge athletic backs and forwards. They won the competition every couple of years and often won back to backs. While the Broncos teams of today are successful, they havent really matched the greatness of teams in the early 90's. With success comes better crowds.

ibeme

First Grade
And yet the Broncos are still one of the top supported sporting sides of any code in Australia, and growing again.

With the Gold Coast entering the competition in 2007, those fans left disillusioned by the Bronco's actions of the past will again have a local team to support.

Good times ahead.

Mr Saab

Referee
the crowds in the "javelin" stadium were partly made up of people who were given FREE tickets. Those days are over with.
the only 18k game was vs souths...and at the time they were playing crap.
Every other game has been

not bad figures really.

MightySharks

Bench
There is only one team! Add up how many attend all games in sydney over one weekend, many more sydneysiders go to watch League than Brisbane people.

Mr Saab

Referee
MightySharks said:
There is only one team! Add up how many attend all games in sydney over one weekend, many more sydneysiders go to watch League than Brisbane people.

not everyone likes the broncos MS.
They are not some superclub that demands 40k each game.
I take your point that is a one team city, but it doesnt always work out the way you put it.

salivor

First Grade
Brisbane were averaging over 30k a game until we had to host the Rabbitohs and Tigers who don't draw big away crowds. Shame on us lol.

Dutch Oven

Juniors
Connell said:
Broncos teams of the past was dynamic. Huge athletic backs and forwards. They won the competition every couple of years and often won back to backs. While the Broncos teams of today are successful, they havent really matched the greatness of teams in the early 90's. With success comes better crowds.

They've won 10 in a row and can only half fill one of the best stadiums in the country. So your saying they have to win back to back premierships to get the crowds of old back?

I think they are playing just as well now to get the people back. Face facts, they could win 5 premierships in a row these days the crowds wouldn't get any bigger. When league was at it's peak they could pack the worst stadium in the country (ANZ). Now they can only half-fill the best (Suncorp). You work it out.

My point was they have blown the opportunity to be the team of the people. Brisbane is a rugby league city, but it sure aint a Broncos city.

It's fast becoming a rugby league city with the Lions being the most popular team. Weird huh?

Broncos fault.

Bloody hell, Dutch Oven, I wish you'd learn to spell. That is a tough read with all the typos. I've never liked the Broncos, apart from the two wins over the Stains in the 90s, but I'd have to agree with the others who query your figures. They get a lot of exposure up north and continue to draw the biggest crowds in the NRL to their matches. Suncorp is a great ground to watch football on, even after the rebuilding, and close to public transport (unlike ANZ).

I'd daresay the only reason that they'd fallen out of public favour on recent years is that the Brisbane Lions have been winning Premierships while the Broncos haven't. The Lions aren't doing quite so well this season and it would be interesting to see whether their crowd numbers have tapered off as well.

Having said all that, I do agree that their ticket prices are a joke. They are the most expensive of all the NRL clubs and going to watch a game of footy is rapidly getting out of reach of the average punter (I certainly can't afford to take my four kids to see a game any more).

Ghoulies

Bench
Dutch Oven said:
Brisbane is a rugby league city, but it sure aint a Broncos city.
It's fast becoming a rugby league city with the Lions being the most popular team.
I take it you mean it's fast becoming an AFL city, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Not even the inflation of Mexicans has spoiled the citys love for Rugby League; just look at the constantly increasing Bronco crowds, or the record crowd for the Anzac test, or the phenomenal interest in SOO.

Kiwi

First Grade
The Lions got alot of support when the won 3 in a row, and madea forth GF. Their support will dwindle as their success does. They have a huge cap advantage and look where they are now, and that advantage wont be around much longer.

The prices are the big thing that is costing the Broncos big crowds. Knock 10 bucks of the cheaper tickets and it would do wonders for their crowds. But then people probably need to be educated about their being very few bad seats at Lang Park.

Razor

Coach
Every broncos game i've been too in brisbane has topped 30,000 so i don't know what you're on about, anyone got home crowd figures?

And every game about half the crowd is chearing for the opposition

And they should get getting 40-45 to every match, since they're the only League team here.

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
Thier is no problem with rugby league supporters in brisbane, the fact is alot of people love the players but are sick of the properganda jammed down our throats, by the media and some members of the clubs management, watch the difference when the Coast team comes in, between them they will start to draw alot more people, brisbane's crowds wont be affected, because it is only the diehard supporters that go these days, the rest of us who support other sides or have had enuogh of the bronco's will go to the Coast games to get our fix of footy.
Don't take this as brisbane bashing I have been 3 times this year, I just feel that some supporters have had enough of just 1 point of view (pro bronc's) being jammed down our throats by the Qld media. - Just a different view!!

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I dont agree that Brisbane is on a downward spiral in Brisbane but I do think they need a second team in Brisbane. One game every two weeks in second biggest RL market in the world is not good enough.

DIEHARD

----
A 2nd Brisbane team has to be part of the master plan.

A successful Gold Coast team along with the continued success of the Cowboys and Broncos with massive crowds for derbies will have people worked into a frenzy to get a 2nd Brisbane team into the competition.

The Gold Coast always had to be first though.

The Broncos need a 2nd team operating out of Lang Park to lower costs.

Brisbane is the world's 2nd largest rugby league city and one team isn't enough.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I would suspect Broncos tickets are so high because there is only 1 game every fortnight to cover the overheads and interest payments.

4 Qld teams would mean a Lang Park game every week, plus the prospect of 2 Qld teams playing at the grund about 4-6 times a year.

This would probably reduce costs a great deal, raising crowds, further lifting the profile of RL and reducing that of the AFL.

Ahhh, if we could only go back to 1988, and introduce 2 Brisbane teams simultaneously, instead of the Broncos and Giants.