What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It's not in their make up, it's not in their game."

Chook Norris

First Grade
The Sydney Roosters have slammed Bulldogs veterans Michael Ennis and Sam Perrett, accusing the pair of taking dives in Friday night's heated clash at ANZ Stadium.
In a fiery period before half time, both Perrett and Ennis stayed down after respective high tackles from James Maloney and Sam Moa.

On both occasions tempers flared as all in brawls erupted, with Robinson later questioning the tactics of the Bulldogs.
"There were a couple of times they were down there waiting for the penalty," Robinson said.
"It is disappointing, but we can't change that, all we can do is do what we do. There is no way he (Ennis) was concussed.
Ennis and Frank Paul Nu'uausala went head to head as they went up the tunnel, exchanging words after the Bulldogs took the two points on offer on the stroke of half time as a result of the high tackle that left Ennis on the deck.
"It was heated, obviously Mick Ennis showed a bit of gamesmanship there, playing for penalties," Roosters skipper Anthony Minichiello said.
"We were just trying to stick to our game, it boiled over a few times."
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler defended his players, adamant they were legitimately hurt.
"Those sorts of players don't take dives," Hasler said.

If that's the case, the Bulldogs might find themselves in hot water as neither Perrett or Ennis were taken immediately from the field for concussion tests.
Perrett left the field a minute or so later, but the interchange counted given he didn't leave the field immediately after receiving the head knock.
Moa revealed that he told Ennis to "get up and get on with it", which prompted David Klemmer and Sam Kasiano to run in and instigate a push and shove.
"I didn't really know if he was knocked out or not but I thought he wasn't hence the anger and the teammates got on the back of that," Moa said.
"I hope he's all right ... I just said a few nice words. I just said 'get up and get on with it', that's because at the time I didn't think it was a high tackle and then the refs obviously felt different."
Roosters coach Trent Robinson said the NRL had to introduce concussion guidelines but called on clubs to show "integrity" and not exploit the rules.
"There is always that risk but we had to bring it in, that was the important thing," Robinson said.
"I wasn't sure if I was for it or not but we have learnt a lot about safety this year and we needed it. We need to get those guys off that do get concussed. We just have to have some integrity in our clubs to make sure we use it properly."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...aking-dives-20140523-zrmwe.html#ixzz32YCKO8Sc

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler defended his players, adamant they were legitimately hurt.
"Those sorts of players don't take dives," Hasler said.

2vn5ceh.gif

BunniesMan

Immortal
If you don't hit high all the staging in the world won't get a penalty. The staging only works when there is an actual infringement involved.

If people stop hitting high the Ennis's of the world won't have any reason to stage.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ennis is a fairy. A very soft merkin.

JWH got smashed high twice in that game and got up both times.

We play a man's game. Shame about the opposition.

The Pelican

Juniors
The game is turning into soccer with all the weak fairies like Ennis and Perrett (among others) taking dives every week. Something needs to be done before this makes a complete mockery of our game.

Big Pete

Referee
What I don't understand is, if a player goes down like that, shouldn't they be sent from the field and be assessed by the doctors before they come back on? The way these players act, it's like they've lost conciousness and surely that has to be a health concern?

You can't just have your cake and eat it as well.

Cammo

Bench
Obviously no Roosters player has ever milked a penalty or ever stayed down. Ever.

What I don't understand is, if a player goes down like that, shouldn't they be sent from the field and be assessed by the doctors before they come back on? The way these players act, it's like they've lost conciousness and surely that has to be a health concern?

Both were told to head off by the trainer and both waved the trainer away. If the NRL is serious, the Dogs and both of these players should now face sanctions. Otherwise, the concussion laws risk becoming a joke.

oldmancraigy

Coach

This.

I have no problem with a high shot being awarded a penalty. But given the concussion rules, the player surely must get assessed if they get hit in the head and cannot get up right away???

Card Shark

Immortal

Absolutely.

Btw, it's certainly in Ennis' game.

oikee

Juniors
The question has soon got to be asked, why are these players who seem knocked unconscious, not taken off to be checked. ?
Ok, lets stop the BS. These players dived, like Olympic champions.
Fair enough, if they stay down like little dogs, take em off for the head test. wont find much in their anyhow, just a very naughty boy in Ennis's case.

This was and would have to be the best game i have watched this year. Both teams really got stuck in and the game was absorbing. I loved it.

Next thing we need to talk about is the refs, all of em. Time for the NRL to drag itself out of the Jurassic period and introduce a captain's challenge.

How much longer is this code going to stay amateur as the NFL has had this system for decades.
They are a professional comp, our code is not, as this diving suggest's.
One simple way to fix the dive, have the players taken off straight away if they stay down. If they get to their feet and put the ball on the ground and hold their face or jaw, then the ref can look at the big screen.
What a c**k-up, like the code was not going to have problems when it introduces new laws or rules.
The real test is fixing these niggling problems.
Great game, Sonny Bill played one of the best games i have seen.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
Ennis acted like he had been shot by a sniper or knocked out by Brett White.

It is hypocritical of dogs fans given they have been calling Soward a milkman for years yet they have a whole team willing to resort to these tactics.

Danish

Referee
Obviously no Roosters player has ever milked a penalty or ever stayed down. Ever.

Roosters players don't dive. Never have.

Closest I can recall is Anasta getting clobbered high, refs didn't penalise it, so he just flat out refused to play the ball (I believe he just started doing a quad stretch) until they watched a replay and penalised it.

The dogs on the other hand are diving extraordinaires