What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's over: Lyon's gone

Parraren

Bench
Lyon's made decision: manager

20 April 2004

"It's all over".

The three words Eels fans didn't want to hear from runaway ex-Test centre Jamie Lyon's manager were uttered today despite the National Rugby League club still expecting a return this week.

While the Eels stuck by their official announcement made last week that Lyon would return from his hometown Wee Waa and make a decision on his future this week, his manager Allan Gainey said there was nothing to discuss.

"He's back home, it's all over. He won't play again until the end of 2006," he said.

"He's isolated himself (from the club). It's a very bizarre, unique situation."

Lyon left the club after round two, saying he was disillusioned with professional football but returned to Parramatta last week seeking a release from the Eels hierarchy.

But the Eels stood firm, refusing to grant a release from his $250,000 a season contract which runs until the end of 2006.

However, Eels CEO Denis Fitzgerald asked Lyon to consider returning to the club and expected an answer this week.

"I can confirm that Jamie has not, and will not, be granted a release from his contract with the Parramatta club in order that he can play for any other club, including the Wee Waa Panthers," Fitzgerald said after last week's meeting.

But Gainey today said Lyon would not return to the Eels club.

"There's no further (meetings with Parramatta), there's nothing to nut out," he said.

"He was disappointed (by the Eels' stance) but he understands a contract is binding.

"He was hopeful (of an Eels release) but there was a forewarning there from Parramatta, he understands that you can't just run away and play for another team otherwise it would be setting a dangerous precedent."

However, Fitzgerald today said he was still hopeful of Lyon talking with the club this week.

"I am still expecting to hear from either Jamie or his manager this week," he said.

"If he doesn't play this year we will reassess the situation at the end of the year."

Lyon, 22, reportedly moved his belongings into a Wee Waa house with his girlfriend less than 24 hours after Eels officials told him he would not be granted a release to play for his junior club, the Wee Waa Panthers.

It is believed he began training with the Panthers two nights a week when he returned to Wee Waa after leaving the Eels.

He is now expected to be the water boy for the Group 4 competition team.

The 2000-strong population of Wee Waa have begun signing a petition in an attempt to convince Parramatta that the disillusioned centre be allowed to play for the Panthers.

Meanwhile, the Eels have moved to avoid a repeat of the ugly scenes at their last home game where it is believed hundreds left in disgust due to long queues.

Fitzgerald said several initiatives would be in place for Eels home matches starting with Saturday's game against Cronulla after discussions between the Parramatta Stadium Trust, the Parramatta club and Ticketek.

Two additional "point of sale" staff members will be rostered on the western side, bringing the total to 12, as well as "greater emphasis placed on PA announcements for those within the stadium precinct, along with better signage and queuing alternatives".

Staff will be instructed to give greater directional information, Fitzgerald said.

"We had 21 of a possible 22 terminals in full operation on Monday, but the late arrival of the crowd made it very difficult for the system to cope," Fitzgerald said.

"We are looking at various options that further encourage supporters to purchase their tickets more than one hour before kick-off."

Brought to you by AAP

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm hoping he doesn't return at all. You would think if he decided to return after that then it would be for another club, and if that's how he wants to treat Parramatta then stuff him.

cirque

Juniors
I agree with Eels dude. This is quite immature to do this. I think we can play without him. I think it is not a good idea to force him to play. You never know he may play first grade footbal with WeeWaa Panthers

The Colonel

Immortal
If he was to make first grade football with the Wee Waa Panthers :shock: I'd be extremely upset if he wasn't scoring three to four tries a game...........

thedux

Juniors
Heard a rumour that Cleal is trying to get Jamie over to the Eagles. Would that not be a breach as he is still on contract. I wonder if Manly can wait 3 years for a new centre!?

cirque

Juniors
I do not know whether these rumors are true. I hope there is a rumour that PJ Marsh is planning to switch to EELS.

Glenn

First Grade
Well the rumours are all is not well in Warrior land so I guess a possibility

As for Jamie, well if he has made up his mind he has to live with it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PJ has to get on the field first!! and then I'm sure he has another year of his Warriors contract up his sleave.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We won't see Jamie this year, and I'm starting to wonder if we ever will see him again.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I can't belive no one has brought up his cash for 1 game saga???.....if Jamie had any morals he would return the $100,000 he recieved before he done the runner after one game!!!

I don't think any of you are trying to understand this from his perspective. It's hard to actually understand what living out in the country islike unless you have actually been there and done it.

And unless you grew up in the country then it is impossible to understand how it is ingrained into you in a way that is extremely hard to change or eradicate.

Jamie just seems to be one of those people that have something in them that can't be changed. it's unfortunate that he will have to let his talents go to waste, but he is no piece of meat whose sole purpose is to entertain other people. he is first and foremost a human being, and he needs to make sure that that side of him is taken care of first. That is what he is doing, and I personally wish him all the best.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
I can't belive no one has brought up his cash for 1 game saga???.....if Jamie had any morals he would return the $100,000 he recieved before he done the runner after one game!!!

his 2004 contract actually started in November of 2003 when offseason training started, under the contract he is required to turn up to training, charity funtions, corparate or sponsers functions and other general club functions ie: fan days and launches. He like his former team mates are paid in monthly installments and by the time he played that first match against the dogs he would of been about 5 months into the 2004 contract. thus pocketing 100K!! hardly fair to give that up.

but then again I understand why you or anyone else would be pissed about it.

Eels Dude

Coach
That's fair enough but that doesn't excuse his actions. He has still behaved inappropriately, and that's why people are upset. I can understand the fact he may want to return to the country and i'm sure everyone else does also. He has still walked out on a contract, let his teamates and club down, and left a hole in the Parramatta side for the rest of the year after pocketing 100 grand. He doesn't seem to understand the seriousness of the situation, if he did then he wouldn't have behaved in the way he has done.

Stagger eel

Staff member
hey!! I'm not at all excusing what he did, not by a long short, I'm just merely explaining the situation of his contract,

I do maintain that his situation is quite unique!! in that he may of pocketed 100k! but he walked away from 650K! for the love of the simple life!!

Unlike Gaz, Peach and Hodge! Jamie is still convinced that life is more important than footy.

I totally agree with HJ.
Yes Jamie Lyon has let a lot of people down and I for one am not happy about it but he is only human and he does have his own problems. If his heart isn't in it anymore then I don't want him on the field playing for us.
I do think Parramatta is letting him know the seriousness of the situation, in which they should but no one really knows what has happened behind closed doors and in Jamie's life for that matter, so I think we should cut him some slack.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
his 2004 contract actually started in November of 2003 when offseason training started, under the contract he is required to turn up to training, charity funtions, corparate or sponsers functions and other general club functions ie: fan days and launches. He like his former team mates are paid in monthly installments and by the time he played that first match against the dogs he would of been about 5 months into the 2004 contract. thus pocketing 100K!! hardly fair to give that up.

but then again I understand why you or anyone else would be pissed about it.

I wish i was paid $100,000 to turn up to functions with an all you wan't to eat buffet & free wine!

What difference is Jamie's situation to Terry Hill's??....a summer in the sun & a $100,000 pay cheque at the end of it.

Im pissed because we could have kept Tonga, im also pissed because he left after one game pocketing $100,000.

Just release him Parra, we'll see who's loyal then.

The Colonel

Immortal
The difference between Terry Hill's contract and Jamie's contract was that Hill had to play an NRL first grade game to get paid..... ;-)