What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its that time - Your 2010 Storm

storm_man

Juniors
^ Nah, I read an article that they won't be able to. Would love him to come back though, we'll really miss his defense out wide. Can't see why everyone still hates him either...

LESStar58

Referee
1. Slater
2. Quinn
3. Kelly
4. Ingliss
5. Nielsen
6. Finch
7. Cronk
8. Tolman
9. Smith
10. White
11. Hoffman
12. Proctor
13. Blair

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Lima
16. Manu
17. Tandy

LESStar58

Referee
^ Nah, I read an article that they won't be able to. Would love him to come back though, we'll really miss his defense out wide. Can't see why everyone still hates him either...

Will Chambers, for all his spurts of attacking brilliance, is still one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the Storm's history. That missed tackle on Moi Moi in the granny was a shocker. Lucky for him we held on.

storm_man

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Quinn
3. Kelly
4. Ingliss
5. Nielsen
6. Finch
7. Cronk
8. Tolman
9. Smith
10. White
11. Hoffman
12. Proctor
13. Blair

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Lima
16. Manu
17. Tandy

Whose Kelly? I know there's a halfback Kelly but as far as I know he doesn't play centre.

storm_man

Juniors
Will Chambers, for all his spurts of attacking brilliance, is still one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the Storm's history. That missed tackle on Moi Moi in the granny was a shocker. Lucky for him we held on.

You sure thats not Tomane? I thought Chambers was average in attack but he was good in defense. Also, him and Steve Turner formed the best defensive pairing for the season. Yeah that tackle was pretty bad but in his defense it was Moi Moi running at pace.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think our team is looking absolutely fantastic for next year.

We have the best backrow in the NRL by a country mile IMO and our props are looking strong to.

As always we have possibly the strongest 1,6,7,9 in the NRL.

I really like our bench to.

I think our only real weakness could be out wide with a few youngsters. Although i think the players we have coming through are more than capable. That plus it's hard to complain about your outside backs when you have Inglis:lol:

I would like to see us giving the likes of Chisholm a run next year. I think we have some real talent coming through in this position.

sheet_ed

Juniors
Luke MacDougall would have to be in with a shout, though he may not be ready for round 1.

He has been in the wilderness for a year - hope he proves me wrong as Storm preseasons are known to be horrible experiences that tend to favour younger bodies.

And we all know now, to crack Bellyache's side, pre-season accounts for 80% of your eligibility to be picked - ask Ryan Tandy.

Dan70

Juniors
He has been in the wilderness for a year - hope he proves me wrong as Storm preseasons are known to be horrible experiences that tend to favour younger bodies.

And we all know now, to crack Bellyache's side, pre-season accounts for 80% of your eligibility to be picked - ask Ryan Tandy.

Yeah, I think he might not be ready for round 1 due to the amount of time he's had out injured, but he certainly has better pedigree in the NRL than Bronx.

little_aza

Juniors
i think next year could be quite successful - i certainly have a better feeling now than what i did this time last year. i think our main areas of concern next year are defense and motivation.

motivation: being team of the decade, and achieving almost everything in the game that a team can do would make them a little less hungry. in saying that though, i doubt bellyache would let ANYONE get complacent. it's good that we have a lot of quality youngsters and fringe players pushing for spots too..keeps the more established ones on their toes.

defense: no one could ever overstate the contributions of dallas johnson. i remember reading an article saying that he was not only one of the most prolific tacklers of the nrl, he was also one of the hardest hitting. that leaves a massive gap in actual work done, as well as a gap in on-field leadership by example. though, thankfully, defense would have to be one of bellamy's coaching strong points too.

sallymay

Juniors
DJ hasnt left yet......talking to ppl at the storm they say he hasnt signed anything yet with either team

The_Savage_1

Juniors
revised...

01 Slater
02 Nielsen
03 Stanley
04 Inglis
05 Quinn
06 Finch
07 Cronk
08 Tolman
09 Smith
10 White
11 Blair
12 Hoffman
13 Proctor

14 Manu
15 Lima
16 Vaea
17 Tandy

18 Kite, Lowrie, Hinchcliffe etc

They may look to play Hinchcliffe at 13 but Proctor looks the goods and has the attacking skill more so than DJ did.

little_aza

Juniors
what's everyone's thoughts on where neilsen should play? should we opt for an awesome left side like australia in the four-nations final, or even it up on both sides a bit? should it be GI/neilsen and stanley/quinn, or GI/quinn and stanley/nielsen?

roopy

Referee
Luke MacDougall would have to be in with a shout, though he may not be ready for round 1.
Why the hell wouldn't he be fit for round one?
He is supposed to be over his bicep injury after two years, and he is a MacDougall, and the only thing you can be sure about a MacDougall is that if he is having one of his rare injury free periods he will be the best trainer at your club.

If he isn't fit for round one, you'll never get a game out of him.

storm_man

Juniors
what's everyone's thoughts on where neilsen should play? should we opt for an awesome left side like australia in the four-nations final, or even it up on both sides a bit? should it be GI/neilsen and stanley/quinn, or GI/quinn and stanley/nielsen?

Inglis and Nielson on one side, Quinn and Stanley on the other. Stanley and Nielson would be too inexperienced for a first grade partnership while having it the way I said means that you don't break up a good combination of Nielson and Inglis. Otherwise have either Quinn or Nielson playing centre with Stanley on the wing and have Quinn and Nielson on the right with Inglis and Stanley on the left. Doubt that would happen though

Noa

First Grade
If Quinn is fit, Neilesen should stay on Gregs side but if we have to rely on Duffie, O'Neill or Goodwin then whack him on Stanleys side. I have great confidence in Danes defence even though he is still relatively inexperienced.

roopy

Referee
Article from the Newcastle Herald a month or so ago.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...s-to-get-comfortable/1639767.aspx?storypage=0
<H1>Anthony Quinn slips in a disc or two and tries to get comfortable
BY BRETT KEEBLE
03 Oct, 2009 05:00 AM
STORM and former Knights winger Anthony Quinn will resume full training after Christmas following a revolutionary neck operation seven weeks ago that saved his career.

Quinn feels "brand new again" after Gold Coast surgeon Matthew Scott-Young inserted two artificial discs at the C5-6 and C6-7 level of his neck to replace the compressed, calcified bones and ease pressure on damaged nerves.

The discs are made of a cobalt-chrome alloy and polyethylene compound and Quinn believed similar surgery could have extended Andrew Johns's career, if it was readily available when Johns succumbed to a bulging disc in early 2007.

"I think this was introduced just after Joey did his. But if this technology and the surgeon who does this stuff weren't around, I would have gone down the path of everyone else and had to retire," Quinn told The Herald yesterday.

"It was either live with it, which I couldn't do; get it fused, which would have meant retiring, because they would have had to do the two levels; or get the double replacement, which pretty much brings me back to brand new again."

The former NSW representative has been a fixture in Melbourne's back line since leaving Newcastle at the end of 2006 but, having worn the No.5 jersey in their past two grand finals against Manly, has been a forgotten man in the build-up to tomorrow's decider against the Eels.

He scored two tries in their 34-8 victory in 2007 but his debilitating neck condition, which began when he suffered a compressed disc and pinched nerve in that game, reduced him to virtual spectator status in their 40-0 loss in last year's rematch.

When his teammates flew to Sydney on Wednesday, the dogged 26-year-old ducked home to visit his family at Redhead, but he will rejoin the Storm camp today.

"I slowly got back throughout last year and everything was going fine up until our semi against the Sharks, when I injured it again, so I was in all sorts in grand final week," he said.

"I only did half a session of training and laid in bed for the majority of the week and played, and that was pretty much it for me."

Apart from his disc problems, Quinn battled Achilles tendonitis this year. When he aggravated his neck at a mid-season training session, he had had enough.

"I got a stinger down my arm and that was the worst I've ever felt. That was it, and I just said, 'Let's get this fixed up,' " he said.

"I knew that was it for me for the year so we investigated the best option, and the only option for me, really, was to get the double disc replacement.

"We knew this technology was out there, and I heard that an AFL player and a rugby union player and [Titans dual international] Mat Rogers all had it done.

"I think my body was trying to tell me something at the back end of last year, with the Achilles and how everything was feeling with my neck. After seven full seasons, it needed a bit of a break, so it was a little blessing in disguise."

Quinn averaged almost 22 games a season in his first seven years at Newcastle (2002-06) and Melbourne (2007-08) but managed just nine this season until he broke down.

"They're going to monitor me for the first four or five weeks of pre-season, then get me back to full-on everything after Christmas to ease me back into it," he said.

Quinn said it was difficult to feel a part of grand final week, but he has been working closely with former Valentine-Eleebana junior clubmate Brett Finch at training and will do all he can to help the Storm secure their second title in four seasons.

"It's the first time I'll be watching instead of playing. Everyone says you're always a part of it, but I don't feel like I'm really a part of it because I'm not playing," he said.
"I've been Finchy's personal stretching partner for the last couple of weeks, so anything the boys need, I'll do whatever I can for them."
</H1>

MsStorm

Bench
Have been wondering about Quinn and his injury, so thanks for that post Roopy.
Hopefully he pulls up well with his training and we see him back in the team asap.