What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

Speculation surrounding the possibility of Ricky Stuart taking on the role is sure to give Penrith fans a much needed injection of excitement.

Stuart and Gould are a successful formula, having worked together in the past leading Sydney Roosters to three grand finals and one premiership in 2002.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...r-greg-alexander/story-fn2mcuj6-1226054264770

More like give penrith fans nightmares.

Offcourse Stuart with gould would be a less frightening prospect than just stuart himself. Still having someone like gould around gives us a good oportunity to go for a younger coach that gould can mould.

Honestly though I would be amazed if stuart would work under gould given the role he has been given. Stuart being a megalomaniac would want full control I think.

Fibroman

First Grade
Gould and Stuart also had financial backing from Politis attracting a team of all stars to get to those 3 grand finals.

Big Mick

Referee
Two interesting names today in the Telecrap.

Jim Dymock & Trent Robinson.

Interesting. Wouldn't mind either.

Preference is still Brown but I don't think he'll come.

How about Adrian Lam?

Not sure about Steve...I think he's too "Elliot" orientated.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I still want Brown.

If we do end up with Georgallis, i think Gould is smart enough to take the 'Elliott' out of him and teach him his ways.

Haffa

Happy for you guys. Always had a soft spot for the Riff after living out that way for a few years. I hope Gus turn you guys around.

betcats

Referee
The question is what should be done about our halves? Walsh i dont think is the answer, Burns id like to keep around simply for his commitment.

Is their any halves of contract next season worth looking at?

betcats

Referee
Not sure what to think of Finch, we might be better off given Austin a shot although i havent seen enough of him to give a proper judgement.

Big Mick

Referee
The question is what should be done about our halves? Walsh i dont think is the answer, Burns id like to keep around simply for his commitment.

Is their any halves of contract next season worth looking at?

A few promising young halves in Rankin & Shaun Johnson worth looking at.

Blending them in with Blake Austin/Harry Seijka could get us somewhere.

franklin2323

Immortal
Walsh will be punted.

maybe. maybe not. Either way Gould is smart enough to realise we can't have 2 halves that don't run the ball. 1 must go. The other can stay & just kick it doesn't bother me with a running creative 5/8. Also with a dangerous 2nd rower we should be alot stronger and actually use our centres

Fibroman

First Grade
Gould realises the value of a kicking game in a player and also ball playing forwards.

Don't forget that Gould was a ball playing backrower in his day that also kicked. He played like a 2nd 5/8th.

Much of the Roosters success in their heyday was a result of Fittler and a very good pack of forwards which was balanced with clever ball players and workhorses eg. Fletcher, Ricketson, Fitzgibbon.

I'd like to see us go after Blair and Widdop at the Storm. They wouldn't come cheap, but we could offload alot of deadwood that are really only ever going to be fringe first graders anyway.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gould and Daniel Anderson-That would be an awesome set up.Ando can coach and should be still in the nrl...
5 & 1/2 yrs in the NRL - 2 grand finals
- 1 game off gf
- 1 year in play off
Thats some record with not exactly the best teams.
Plus the guys is class.I think penrith have decided thats it-Enough is enough its time to stamp our foot and make us professional again.
Gould and Ando : ) i can feel it

Bob

Juniors
Another rumor

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/190729/Panthers-eye-Trent-Robinson/

PANTHERS EYE TRENT ROBINSON

ABOVE: Trent Robinson is in the mix for the upcoming vacancy Trent Robinson is in the mix for the upcoming vacancy at the Penrith Panthers
13th May 2011 By Martin Richards
Your Shout ( 0 )

TRENT ROBINSON has made such an impact in his debut season in charge that he’s already being touted for a quick return to the NRL.

Trent Robinson is in the mix for the upcoming vacancy at the Penrith Panthers, whose present manager, Matt Elliott, hasn’t been offered a new contract.

The Panthers have appointed their former Premiership-winning coach Phil Gould as head of their management team and he will have full powers to hire and fire.

Huddersfield’s Nathan Brown and Bradford coach Mick Potter are also on a list of candidates that Gould intends to speak to.

“I’m looking for someone who’s looking for a great opportunity and is willing to work hard,” said Gould.

Copperhead

Juniors
If Gould intends to talk to everyone who's been linked to us, he'd better keep the conversations short or he won't make it to
the end of the list before next season kicks off.

Iafeta

Referee
A few promising young halves in Rankin & Shaun Johnson worth looking at.

Blending them in with Blake Austin/Harry Seijka could get us somewhere.

Under contract til the end of 2012. I'd be mega shocked if the Warriors pass up on him.

Lossy

Juniors
Said it a while back in the rumoured signings thread and I'll say it again here. Your new coach is Freddy Fittler.

Well, he's looking for someone "who’s looking for a great opportunity and is willing to work hard". Given Gus will call nearly all the shots, they'd also have to be able to take direction and deal with interference. He'd probably want to know them well enough that there won't be divisions and trust is already established.

Only two I can think of. Freddy or Ivan Cleary.