What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Mary wa selfish he would not be suggesting a move to bring in a person to take over his role and him to be his assistant. He sounds like he still wants to be part of the club and probably offer support to the new guy and the team.

St Georgio

Juniors
If Mary wa selfish he would not be suggesting a move to bring in a person to take over his role and him to be his assistant. He sounds like he still wants to be part of the club and probably offer support to the new guy and the team.
Saving Face, bluh bluh I would believe this in certain culture's close us, but come on these ex player were taught from young to respect the game and their team mates, sure Mary might be upset, gutted, angry and dissapointed but at the of the day, I believe he does want the best for this club, I agree with Slippery.

grouch

First Grade
I highly doubt McGregor will be sticking around, and have even higher doubts that he has any input whatsoever on the decision.

Ivan Cleary isn't silly nor desperate enough to agree to it

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Another post noted Ivan's record. Lost more games than won. What a coach! Can't wait to see us win half our matches .... Bit like Mary does now.

The same type of record as Arthur, Henry, even Flanagan up to this year. However, better than Wayne Bennents 3 year Newcastle record ( about 46%).

Motto; great players make great coaches. Whoever is coach has to have the roster.

I think people overestimate the impact of coaches. Even Bennett has been known to struggle with a poor roster (like he did at Newcastle).
All the Broncos teams he led to premierships were filled with Origin and Internationals. And the squad he put together for us was pretty damned good as well. He's rarely had a poor roster at his disposal. If anything, his value is best seen as being able to attract quality players (which clearly someone like McGregor can't do).

I'd support getting someone like Cleary, but a complete revamp of the roster is needed as well.

grouch

First Grade
Another post noted Ivan's record. Lost more games than won. What a coach! Can't wait to see us win half our matches .... Bit like Mary does now.

The same type of record as Arthur, Henry, even Flanagan up to this year. However, better than Wayne Bennents 3 year Newcastle record ( about 46%).

Motto; great players make great coaches. Whoever is coach has to have the roster.
Good coaches attract and get the best out of good players.

And looking at mere win/loss percentages is a tad simplistic

giboz71

First Grade
Good coaches attract and get the best out of good players.

And looking at mere win/loss percentages is a tad simplistic

Agreed.

And if Cleary does come, I hope his son is the first recruit he targets. What a player.

Minh

First Grade
Would welcome Cleary, it would be a massive step in the right direction as I believe Mc Gregor has lost the dressing room after his DUI this year....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Matt Moylan came out and said earlier that he wants to check the market next week.

Panthers had Coote and Moylan on the books and Cleary put all his faith in Moylan and gave Coote the boot. Maybe Cleary can get Moylan AND his son. What a top halves pairing that would be.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Remember this is all rumour at the moment.
It would be a breath of fresh air if it were to materialise. But let's face it we can't even secure Leilua at this point never mind securing Cleary.

Further, if he does come and McGregor becomes an "assistant" my feeling is it so he can look for another role possibly overseas in his own time. Save face for sure and no one wants "been sacked" on their coaching record.
Everybody wins then you see.
The Board survives...membership will increase on the expectation of a new coach..
We get a decent new coach from outside the Dragons system.....
McGregor is able to save face and say he did the right thing for himself and his development......
The team will be able to play football again
Supporters relieved....

Everyone's a winner!!

deansykes

Juniors
I get the feeling this has been in the works for a while hence leilua, Milne and Mann coming in to the ranks and Mary backtracking on 2nd tier salary cap restrictions. Cleary possibly sussing out a plan to rebuild the club. It also makes sense that Dufty re signed and players staying loyal and staying positive in the eye of the media

Look at the impact he made at the Panthers getting them to where they are this year, knows how to develop youngsters. This could also be the reason we get linked to every possible big signing with nothing coming off

thestevo888

Juniors
Paul Kent reporting this is in the works but still at early stages... suspense is killing me...PLEASE make it happen.

Lethal25

Juniors
You have to think if it's being reported in the press then regardless of whether Cleary comes to fruition McGregors time is nigh.

Hopefully I can stop having to fix my spelling of Marys surname, so many times I've accidently typed McGrogor. I never quite shook that DUI thing!

SaintPauli

Juniors
Ivan Cleary, Arguably the best free agent Coach out there who is keen to coach.
If Mary can do what's best for the club and step aside with Ivan Cleary's appointment
that certainly is a positive step to all being done towards our clubs best interest for the future.
Particularly getting a coach who thinks Attacking football.

saintjeff

Juniors
Sick of us being linked with everyone,even though this one is a coach
We so far have landed ZERO
Hopefully we can get him , change of coach means a change of style of play
That must be better than the shambles we are now

blacksafake

First Grade
Some interesting opinions so far with this news.It looks like the majority are more than happy to be rid of Mary,However there is plenty of reservations about signing Cleary.The way i see it is he is the best out there as far as experience goes as well as being an outsider.You can make anything out of stats & his win/loss ratio is there for all to see if you wish to be negative but injuries at Penrith & lazy poor attitudes at the Warriors have played a part in this imo.Cleary has shown in the past to be a smart tactitian with his sides playing a good brand of footy & hopefully we will all be happy to hear the term "Dragons Footy" again.His track record of using juniors is a plus.There certainly are plenty of talented players such as Friz,Duges,Aitken,Milne,JDB,Dufty,Leluia etc would benefit from his style.He is also not afraid to have a go at officials if he thinks the team has been hard done by.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Well let's just hope and pray there is some truth to this rumour/gossip circulating. I cannot see any benefit in keeping Mary as an assistant to Cleary. If the club is serious they need to reward and promote successful candidates. Both Jason Demetriou and Matt Head have done outstanding work this year and improved both Cutters and U/20's
Unfortunately Dean Young and Ben Hornby have been part of the problem along with Mary and are not part of the solution. Ivan Cleary should be given the opportunity to hand pick his coaching team as well as having full say in recruitment. This should mean dissolving some of old boys brigade and waving goodbye to the Pathways Director (Millward) as he needs to walk one way out the gate.