What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Henjak on Lockyer after 2009

8Ball

First Grade
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24036776-5012431,00.html

Hunt has indicated his first preference would be to remain with the Broncos, but said he would consider any offers.

Complicating the issue for Brisbane, which will need to offer Hunt a significant contract upgrade, is the fact captain Darren Lockyer also comes off-contract at the end of 2009.

Assistant coach Ivan Henjak, who takes over as head coach next season, said he was desperate to retain the star duo.

"They are together next year and we will worry about 2010 then," Henjak said.

"The club will talk to both managers when the time is right and hopefully they can work something out. I am certainly hopeful they will both be able to stay with us."

Interesting that he wants to keep Lockyer on after 2009. Any thoughts?

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I doubt Locky will play in the NRL beyond 2009 anyway, if he wants to play in England in his career it'll have to be then.

Just a query have the roosters added anything to the game over the past 30 years? All they seem to do is buy other teams' players, they're the ARU of the NRL.

broncoman

Juniors
We have to sign Hunt for 2010 and beyond and then worry about Lockyer. I'm sure even Darren would realise he is second in the pecking order behind Hunt when it comes to contract renewals.

JW

Coach
Unless Lockyer is really keen to stay and thus play for peanuts (in comparison to his current arrangement), then i'd bet he'd be off to England.

The club simply wouldn't consider keeping Locky, with limited time left in his career, if it meant giving up a player of Hunt's calibre who has at least 10 years ahead of him. And as i've said before, even taking into account the absence of so-called loyalty these days, I don't see Locky as the type of bloke who would demand a short contract that would clearly rort the club of cap breathing space.

I'd love him to stay on for as long as he can, but I think at this stage the odds are in favour of next year being his last. As far as we know he has aspirations to remain at the club in some capacity after football, so depending on what the club wants he may take up something along those lines. Or have a short stint in Pomgolia and then return to the Broncos.

Bottom line though is that the club simply will not allow Karmichael to be lost. Even Doust wouldn't f**k that up.

salivor

First Grade
You'd think so JW but I'm not too sure what the club is thinking here. Clubs can't approach Hunt until November this year so you'd think if they were really of the mentality of sign Hunt at all costs they'd be sitting him down right now and putting a very lucrative long term offer on the table using the money freed up by Lockyer from 2010 onwards. Otherwise every club in the competition will start bidding for his services come November and his price will sky rocket, possibly beyond our means.

beads6

First Grade
Todays Sunday mail has an article on Lockyer that is saying he want to stay beyond on 2009. I hope Lockyer stays but only if we keep Hunt as well. Hunt is the future of the club we can't lose his services.

Twigg

Juniors
http://rugbyleaguelive.com.au/Articles/2171/2008/07/20/Broncos_start_Lockyer_contract_talks.aspx

Darren Lockyer’s manager George Mimis has held informal talks with Brisbane Chief Executive Bruno Cullen about keeping the star five-eighth, rather than letting their skipper leave for England’s Super League or French rugby union.

Off contract at the end of the 2009 season, speculation surrounding Lockyer’s future has been up in the air because of his continuing battle with a knee injury throughout the 2008 season.

But Mimis revealed Lockyer had not ruled out a 16th NRL season with the Broncos in 2010.

The Broncos have yet to formalise an extension but view Lockyer as a club legend so they will be doing everything in their power to extend the Australian and Queensland five-eighth’s contract.

Mimis said Lockyer is a long way away from hanging up the boots and entering into the coaching arena which he has shown interest in.

“Is he going to play beyond 2009? We’re still dissecting that but I would say it’s highly likely he will be,” Mimis told News Limited. “Darren and I have had a number of discussions and the goal has been for Darren to get healthy and fit.

“Touch wood, it looks like it (Lockyer’s return from an arthroscope on his knee six weeks ago) is progressing well for Darren. Over the coming months, we will start to look at Darren’s future more seriously.

“Ask anyone in rugby league and they would say Darren Lockyer would be a great coach if he wanted to pursue that.

“I’ve had some informal dialogue with Bruno Cullen about Darren continuing his career and the Broncos would absolutely be his preferred option.

“Darren wants to finish his career in a Broncos jersey.”

The 31-year-old has missed the majority of the year with a re-occurring knee injury and his problems with injuries have sparked concerns about his future in the game.

Brisbane will be striving to re-sign their captain so they can keep the promising halves combination of Lockyer and Wallace together.

Wallace last week extended his contract with the six time premiership club till the end of the 2012 season.

Mimis believes Lockyer is no certainty to follow the dough in heading to the English Super League or following fellow test player Mark Gasnier to French Rugby.

“I don’t want to be sensationalist about this, and Darren certainly doesn’t want to create headlines, but would French rugby be interested in Darren Lockyer if he were interested in them? Probably,” Mimis said.

“In saying that, Darren has had a wonderful one-club association with the Broncos and I would be surprised if that were not to continue.”
Cullen said the club would explore every avenue to retain Lockyer.

jarro

Juniors
It'd be great if Locky would play on in 2010 ..... and even better if we got Hunt to stay as well :cool:

salivor

First Grade
Shouldn't the first talks be with Hunt? Get him under lock and key and then put an offer to Lockyer with whats left to play with? When we've got a manager starting to talk about the ESL and French Rugby League it concerns me that we're even entertaining the idea at this point of trying to match what could be on the table for what would be a 1 or 2 year deal at best for a bloke as much as well all love him but is on the way out.

8Ball

First Grade
Hunt absolutely must be top priority. He and Wallace will be the heart and soul of Brisbane for years to come.