What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

BLM01

First Grade
A doggies fan just indicated that he is on 675 at the dragons, with the broncos covering the missing salary for 21. Something he says he read elsewhere.

no idea if that’s right. Seems overs to me, but if he passed his physical, and Gentle was behind the move, then it may turn out to be a good signing (I’m nervous). Personally I wanted big forwards, but you can’t deny Bird is a class player.
675 was reported the initial $ Broncos wanted and we bawled on that

kit66

Bench
Don't like it.
Injury prone.

He could play in a moon boot and on crutches and he's still an upgrade on Aitken or Lafai but yeah it's a worry and Brisbane must be thinking themselves very bloody lucky.
When he's fit and on song he's a great attacking player but a big risk considering he's only managed to get on the field 17 times in the last 3 years. I guess we just make the best of it and use him when we can and when we can't we give one of the young fellas a shot - might even help ease the new kid (s) into 1sts.
I was hoping we'd sign JAC the superstar but in true Dragons style we get JACK the most injury prone player in the last 40 years. But we've got a new coach, mustn't grumble.
I'd keep him at centre though, kind of pushing your luck putting him in the forwards.

Edit : I just had a horrible thought - could we have signed him to play fullback like he did with the Sharkies ? I F-ing hope not ! Tell me I'm just being silly please.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I could see Bird playing lock irrespective of JDB result. Bird’s recruitment and a hopeful rejuvenated’ Hunt (let alone JDB) would get much media attention and possibly take some of the spotlight away from Norman; believe Norman is more effective when the focus is on others and not on him (example Origin 1 last year)

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
He could play in a moon boot and on crutches and he's still an upgrade on Aitken or Lafai but yeah it's a worry and Brisbane must be thinking themselves very bloody lucky.
When he's fit and on song he's a great attacking player but a big risk considering he's only managed to get on the field 17 times in the last 3 years. I guess we just make the best of it and use him when we can and when we can't we give one of the young fellas a shot - might even help ease the new kid (s) into 1sts.
I was hoping we'd sign JAC the superstar but in true Dragons style we get JACK the most injury prone player in the last 40 years. But we've got a new coach, mustn't grumble.
I'd keep him at centre though, kind of pushing your luck putting him in the forwards.

Edit : I just had a horrible thought - could we have signed him to play fullback like he did with the Sharkies ? I F-ing hope not ! Tell me I'm just being silly please.
Yes you are being silly but can fill in many positions if needed
Yes injury is a worry but don’t forget Teddy and Benji spent plenty of their earlier years on the sideline because of injury
And there’s been some lesser names currently playing in the NRL that have been through the same thing

Old Timer

Coach
If the due diligence was correct then this is a solid signing with some serious upside if he remains injury free.

This kid is skilful, tough and competitive and we need plenty of that if we are to start climbing the ladder.

Our 1-5 need a real hard head to guide them and I hope he plays in the 3.

Gareth67

First Grade
I am opting for the 5/8th position myself as KIT 66 has said - playing in the pack will place more strain on his knees and certainly shorten his career .

Griffin will more than likely continue with Hunt & Norman until it becomes obvious that storming Norman just ain’t storming anymore .

He will then replace him at 5/8th with Bird with both Sullivan and Clune as the back-ups in case of injuries :rolling_eyes: . At least that is my take on just how it may pan out .

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Yes could play lock as a ballplayer and if JDB plays i would play him at 5/8

Maybe 5/8 is a better option overall as they dont get bashed so badly there vs lock or 2nd row

an expensive centre IMO but could be played there too
what about a wide running second rower we lost host & frizell

possm

Coach
If the due diligence was correct then this is a solid signing with some serious upside if he remains injury free.

This kid is skilful, tough and competitive and we need plenty of that if we are to start climbing the ladder.

Our 1-5 need a real hard head to guide them and I hope he plays in the 3.
When it is all said and done, our aim is to improve our squad and our performance on the field each game. Hopefully, our new coaching staff will lift this team into the top 6 of the competition in 2021.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I would start him on the bench, as a utility forward. When/If he’s fit i would play him at 5/8. Hunt/Bird is certainly better than what we have. Sullivan would benefit from a year in CC to develop with a game here and there during origin/injuries. A JDB/Bird combo would be good at 13, both need fitness and could play half a game each to start. Failing that Lawrie isn’t as bad as people say and he could play some decent minutes at lock with Bird coming on for impact late.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I'm hoping our edge backrowers will be T Sims and Crichton. De Belin at lock and Max Feagai at left centre. So if Griffin wants Norman at 6 then it will be Bird at 1 or 14.

Matt Lodge's head has popped up again in conversation. We still do need another first grade prop in our 17 unless Griffin is thinking of bringing Blacker through off the bench in 2021.
why wouldn't you bring blacker through instead of paying good money for a dick head like lodge i really don't think we are that bad off in the front row. I think edge back rower's is what we need

possm

Coach
why wouldn't you bring blacker through instead of paying good money for a dick head like lodge i really don't think we are that bad off in the front row. I think edge back rower's is what we need
We would develop Blacker through short stints off the bench; he is only at the beginning stage of his first grade development. Right now we need a top grade prop to bookend with Vaughan as our run on props.

Of our remaining players, I'd say that Faamausili, Kerr and Blacker would be our bench props with Lawrie holding our fourth spot and covering for backrow positions.