What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
'She was very attention seeking': Jack de Belin gives evidence in trial
Angus Thompson
November 19, 2020 — 11.01am

Rugby league star Jack de Belin has described the woman he is accused of raping as attention seeking when he met her on a boozy night out in Wollongong in December 2018.

Taking to the witness box in the NSW District Court in Wollongong after almost three weeks on trial, the sidelined St George Illawarra forward told a jury he had never met his accuser before she came up and cuddled him on the dance floor of nightclub Mr Crown at about midnight on December 9.

"I just said something along the lines of, 'aren’t you a little cutie'," Mr de Belin told the court on Thursday morning.

Asked by his barrister David Campbell SC whether she said or did anything in response, Mr de Belin replied that "she just giggled back".

Mr de Belin said the woman, who cannot be legally identified, was dancing around his group of male friends during their time at the bar.

"She was just very attention seeking and her dancing was dramatic and over the top," he said.

He said at one point the woman took his hat and began wearing it: "I just said, 'don't lose it please'."

Mr de Belin, 29, and his co-accused, Shellharbour Sharks player Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty ot several counts each of aggravated sexual assault over allegations they jointly raped the woman, then 19, in a Wollongong apartment after leaving the bar with her in the early hours of December 9.

More to come.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...-gives-evidence-in-trial-20201119-p56g1v.html

be55

Juniors
'She was very attention seeking': Jack de Belin gives evidence in trial
Angus Thompson
November 19, 2020 — 11.01am

Rugby league star Jack de Belin has described the woman he is accused of raping as attention seeking when he met her on a boozy night out in Wollongong in December 2018.

Taking to the witness box in the NSW District Court in Wollongong after almost three weeks on trial, the sidelined St George Illawarra forward told a jury he had never met his accuser before she came up and cuddled him on the dance floor of nightclub Mr Crown at about midnight on December 9.

"I just said something along the lines of, 'aren’t you a little cutie'," Mr de Belin told the court on Thursday morning.

Asked by his barrister David Campbell SC whether she said or did anything in response, Mr de Belin replied that "she just giggled back".

Mr de Belin said the woman, who cannot be legally identified, was dancing around his group of male friends during their time at the bar.

"She was just very attention seeking and her dancing was dramatic and over the top," he said.

He said at one point the woman took his hat and began wearing it: "I just said, 'don't lose it please'."

Mr de Belin, 29, and his co-accused, Shellharbour Sharks player Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty ot several counts each of aggravated sexual assault over allegations they jointly raped the woman, then 19, in a Wollongong apartment after leaving the bar with her in the early hours of December 9.

More to come.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...-gives-evidence-in-trial-20201119-p56g1v.html
Another outstanding piece of journalism by the SMH...someone give Angus Thompson a walkley :rolleyes:

They had not met before the night in question ( just about the only relevant thing in the entire article)
Jack complimented her
She laughed
She was dancing with friends
She took Jacks hat
He asked her not to lose it

Thank God the public is aware of all these facts...

The only time in my life I've ever read the Sydney Morning Herald was in my twenties, when i was in a relationship with a women who used to work there, and that was only to keep her happy...

Personally i wouldn't wipe my bum with the SMH, but that's just me...

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
The Australian
Jack de Belin takes stand in sex assault trial

View attachment 43976

• By LANE SAINTY
    • NCA NEWSWIRE
    • 12:42PM NOVEMBER 19, 2020

WARNING: Graphic

NRL star Jack de Belin has given graphic sexual evidence at his sex assault trial, saying he had consensual intercourse with the woman who has accused him of rape.

Mr de Belin told the jury he accidentally penetrated her anus during the course of their consensual encounter.

“She grimaced and it wasn’t pleasant. She said like ‘ow’. I apologised,” he said.

After this, he asked if “she could help a brother out” and she guided him from there.

Mr de Belin said the woman was “enjoying it, she was moaning, just like a normal sexual interaction”.

Mr de Belin, 29, and Callan Sinclair, 23, are fighting allegations they raped the then 19-year-old woman in North Wollongong in the early hours of December 9, 2018.

The woman said she felt “dead and numb” inside as the men raped her, ignoring her protestations and taking turns between vaginal and oral sex.

Both men say the sex was consensual.

Mr de Belin agreed he went on a pub crawl the night of the alleged rape to let off a bit of steam.

He said he had 4-6 drinks at the North Wollongong Hotel before heading to Mr Crown, where he had another 3-4 drinks and saw the woman, who came up to give him “a cuddle”,

“I said something along the lines of ‘Aren’t you a little cutie?’” he told the court. “She just giggled back.”

Mr de Belin described the woman’s behaviour as “attention-seeking”.

“Her dancing was dramatic and over the top,” he said.

He said he turned to Mr Sinclair and said “I think we’re on here” after observing the woman’s “flirty” behaviour towards his friend.

“I could see she was into him,” he said.

Mr de Belin said he then approached the woman and suggested a threesome, saying “Me, you and Cal”.

“At which point she responded, ‘but you have a girlfriend’,” he told the court.

“I said, ‘I can keep a secret if you can’. And she winked back and smiled.”

Mr de Belin continues to train with the St George Illawarra Dragons but has not played for two years due to NRL rules and the notoriety of the case, the court heard.

He said he had never been sent from the field, nor involved in violent contact with anybody.

He told the jury he was just under 190cm tall and would have weighed approximately 106kg at the time he was playing rugby.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...l/news-story/d7484631a4d671adf26d2ee32e2ab821

Dorsai

Juniors
Stupid he may be. Most footballers are. Even some of the more recent immortals. But he may also be only guilty of just being stupid.

the result of this case will be interesting in more ways than one.

Gareth67

First Grade
A number of members have already mentioned as to just what the fall-out of all this may be , how many sponsors may walk , no longer wishing to be associated with the Dragon brand .

Well I believe that we will not have to wait too much longer to discover the answer to that question , especially after JDB’s graphic account of what occurred in bed .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There's been a lot of commentary about this case. Some have made up their mind and some still "on the fence".

This was never going to be "Mills & Boon" reporting, the graphic nature is representative of the reality of what took place. To each his/her own as to the sexual behaviour between individuals (or more). What seems lurid to some (and not talking about being prudish), may appear normal for others. It seems to be the way of the world these days.

The only people whose opinion matters are the 12 jury members. The Prosecution has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the Defense having to create the reasonable doubt.

DeBelin has pleaded not guilty, if that is the verdict from the jury then that is the verdict.

be55

Juniors
There's been a lot of commentary about this case. Some have made up their mind and some still "on the fence".

This was never going to be "Mills & Boon" reporting, the graphic nature is representative of the reality of what took place. To each his/her own as to the sexual behaviour between individuals (or more). What seems lurid to some (and not talking about being prudish), may appear normal for others. It seems to be the way of the world these days.

The only people whose opinion matters are the 12 jury members. The Prosecution has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the Defense having to create the reasonable doubt.

DeBelin has pleaded not guilty, if that is the verdict from the jury then that is the verdict.
Spot on mate...I would give your comment 10 likes if i could...

Straight to the top of the class for you mate...

TruSaint

Referee
Thank f#@k we have moderators here.

Some of utter trash being posted by so called fans, on Dragons sites like facebook etc, are atrocious.

Asking questions about a process is one thing. Convincing yourself that because he is a Dragons player, the case is a rort is disgusting.

Docile pricks.

slippery5

Juniors
Dragons need to cut this bloke loose
You don't think that in todays society, not just footballers, this is not an uncommon behaviour of casual sexual behaviour?
I know of a player in last nights SOO who"s club doctors have spoke to him about the frequency he is seeking STD tests.
So we might as well cut them all, the only difference is this one, like the Matty Johns scenario, became public.

BennyV

Referee
You don't think that in todays society, not just footballers, this is not an uncommon behaviour of casual sexual behaviour?
I know of a player in last nights SOO who"s club doctors have spoke to him about the frequency he is seeking STD tests.
So we might as well cut them all, the only difference is this one, like the Matty Johns scenario, became public.
Exactly right. And since everyone obviously cheats on their partner, goes out and picks up random girls with their mates and ultimately end up in a position where said girl feels violated enough to take a criminal sexual assault case all the way to jury trial, it’s perfectly acceptable!

blue bags

First Grade
Jack de Belin finally takes the stand in rape trial to claim he asked alleged victim for a threesome before telling teammate co-accused 'I think we're on here'
  • NRL star Jack de Belin has started giving evidence on stand in alleged rape trial
  • He and Callan Sinclair pleaded not guilty to aggravated sexual assault of woman
  • He met the complainant, then 19, on the dancefloor of a Wollongong bar in 2018
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 12:35 AEDT, 19 November 2020 | UPDATED: 14:36 AEDT, 19 November 2020

NRL and Origin star Jack de Belin has told a jury the woman accusing him of rape was 'very attention-seeking' on the dancefloor and flirting with his mate before he mentioned 'we're on here'.

Entering the witness box in the third week of the high-profile trial, the St George Illawarra forward said he met the complainant, then 19, on the dancefloor of Wollongong bar Mr Crown on December 8, 2018.

'She was kind of hanging around the group and then she gave me a cuddle,' de Belin said.

'I said something along the lines of 'aren't you a little cutie?' She just giggled back.

'She was very attention-seeking and her dancing was dramatic and over the top.'

Jack de Belin has started giving evidence in his alleged rape trial. He's pictured leaving Wollongong District Court on Wednesday

The 29-year-old and Shell Cove man Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty in Wollongong District Court to the aggravated sexual assault of the woman later that night in a North Wollongong unit.

After noticing the woman flirting with Sinclair on the dancefloor, de Belin pulled him aside and said words to the effect of 'I think we're on here'.

He then approached the woman and said: 'you, me and Cal?'

When she pointed out he had a girlfriend, de Belin said he replied: 'I can keep a secret if you can'
'At that point, she winked and smiled,' he told the jury.

Earlier in the trial, the woman told the jury sex was never raised with her during the night and she only entered the unit to use the bathroom.

While inside, she says the NRL star undressed her and forced himself on top of her as she said 'no'.

He then allegedly made way for Sinclair and moved his groin to the then-teenager's head, before the men alternated positions and cheered each other on.

Co-accused Callan Sinclair is pictured arriving at Wollongong District Court on Thursday

'I just had tears out of my eyes the whole time,' she said of the alleged early-morning assault on December 9.

Conversely, de Belin on Thursday said he asked the woman if she wanted to come back to the unit and she replied 'yes'.

When they got there, scaling a fence to get in, he said he took a shower and she used the bathroom.

When the footballer finished his shower, he re-entered the bedroom and found the woman and Sinclair kissing.

'I proceeded to start kissing (her) as well,' he said.

The men were 'complimenting her on her breasts' before she took her top off, the jury heard.

Shortly thereafter, de Belin began performing oral sex and recalled her uttering 'yes'.

'It was just natural sex that she was enjoying,' he said.

The trio changed positions several times during the sexual encounter, de Belin said.

Afterwards, the footballer said he overheard the woman again mentioning his girlfriend.

'I said 'don't stress it, babe, we're on the rocks anyway, it's complicated',' de Belin told the jury.

The trio later caught an Uber back to town.

De Belin said at no point did he believe the woman was not consenting and was 'just in complete and utter shock' when he learned of the allegations later that day.

The jury heard he remains with his long-term partner Alyce.

NRL star Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong court

De Belin estimated his intoxication on the dancefloor at Mr Crown was '6 or 7' out of 10, having had about 11 drinks over as many hours.

The former Cootamundra paperboy detailed attending a Campbelltown boarding school on a mathematics scholarship before developing a particular liking for rugby league.

He broke into the St George team in 2011 before being drafted into NSW State of Origin camp in 2017 and playing all three games against the Maroons in 2018, the jury heard.

The court was told de Belin hasn't played first-grade rugby league in the past two seasons due to the allegations.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...inally-takes-stand-deny-raping-teen-girl.html

De Belin's evidence continues.

St George Illawarra NRL star Jack de Belin finally takes to the stand to deny raping a teen girl

Status
Not open for further replies.