What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue bags

First Grade
De Belin told co-accused 'we are on here'
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 11:53 AEDT, 19 November 2020 | UPDATED: 17:18 AEDT, 19 November 2020
NRL and State of Origin star Jack de Belin says a woman accusing him of rape in fact winked and smiled at him when he proposed a secret threesome at a nightclub.

During a full day in the witness box at his NSW District Court trial, the St George Illawarra forward repeatedly denied fabricating his account of what occurred after meeting the then-teenager on the dancefloor of Wollongong's Mr Crown bar in December 2018.

Having received a hug from her and noticed her flirting with his mate Callan Sinclair, he pulled the other man aside and said something like "I think we're on here".

"I went to her and said 'Me, you and Cal?' and she responded 'You have a girlfriend'," the footballer told a jury on Thursday.

"(I said) 'I can keep a secret if you can' and, at that point, she winked and smiled."

He insisted the later sex with the woman, then 19, and Sinclair, then 21, in a North Wollongong unit was consensual and "all had a say" in each act.

The 29-year-old - who along with Sinclair has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges of aggravated sexual assault - described seeing Mr Sinclair and the woman kissing in the bedroom and then starting to kiss the woman too.

The men were "complimenting her on her breasts" before she took her top off and she helped de Belin take off her pants, the jury heard.

Shortly thereafter, de Belin began performing oral sex and recalled her uttering "yes".

"It was just natural sex that she was enjoying," he said.

The trio changed positions several times during the sexual encounter, de Belin said, with a discussion occurring each time along the lines of "keen to swap", "change-up" or "my turn now".

He didn't recall what the woman said, but testified it would have been similar.

"The fact is she had no say in any of this, did she?" crown prosecutor David Scully asked.

"That's not right," de Belin replied.

Mr Scully also put to the footballer that there was "no suggestion to the (woman) before you went back to the unit that you were going there for a threesome".

"Yes, there was," he replied.

The Dragons player denied "making up" parts of his version of events and denied the woman ever said "no" to sex.

Afterwards, de Belin said he overheard the woman again mentioning that he had a girlfriend.

"I said 'don't stress it, babe, we're on the rocks anyway, it's complicated'," de Belin told the jury.

The trio later caught an Uber back to town, where the woman "was completely normal" and sometimes laughing before walking away.

De Belin said at no point did he believe the woman was not consenting and was "just in complete and utter shock" when he later learned of allegations.

The jury heard he remains with his long-term partner Alyce.

Earlier in the trial, the woman told the jury sex was never raised with her during the night and she only entered the unit to use the bathroom.

While inside, she says the NRL star undressed her and forced himself on top of her as she said "no".

He then allegedly made way for Sinclair and moved his groin to the then-teenager's head, before the men alternated positions and cheered each other on.

"I just had tears out of my eyes the whole time," she said of the alleged early-morning assault on December 9.

De Belin estimated his intoxication on the dancefloor at Mr Crown was "six or seven" out of 10.

The former Cootamundra paperboy earlier detailed breaking into the St George team in 2011, before being drafted into NSW State of Origin camp in 2017.

Dragons figure Brian Johnston and de Belin's sister are expected to give character evidence when the trial resumes on Friday.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-8964323/De-Belin-begins-evidence-rape-trial.html

blue bags

First Grade
Jack de Belin breaks down in tears as his sister describes him as her 'empathetic and compassionate best friend' during his rape trial
  • Erica de Belin said her brother was a 'walking enigma' who does yoga
  • She told a story of him helping an old woman with arthritis by mowing her law
  • De Belin's lip was quivering during much of her evidence before he broke down

PUBLISHED: 13:13 AEDT, 20 November 2020 | UPDATED:
NRL star Jack de Belin began crying as his sister described her empathetic and compassionate 'best friend' to a NSW court.

Erica de Belin, who gave evidence via video link from England, told the Wollongong District Court her brother was a 'walking enigma' in that he is a '100 kg rugby league player' who does yoga, meditates, and practices daily gratitude.

She recalled a story of de Belin helping an old woman with arthritis by mowing her lawn, and waiting around her work so they could ride their bicycles home together to ensure she was safe.

'I think anybody who has spent any time with him knows how good a person he is,' she said.

NRL star Jack de Belin began crying as his sister described her empathetic and compassionate 'best friend' to a NSW court

De Belin's lip was quivering during much of her evidence before he broke down and loud sniffles could be heard throughout the courtroom.

The 29-year-old, and his friend Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated sexual assault in the bedroom of a North Wollongong unit in December.

The jury has previously heard the woman's account that the former NSW State of Origin player undressed her and forced himself on top of her, before Sinclair and he swapped positions multiple times.
She said she was constantly saying 'no' with tears streaming down her face.

But the men deny raping the woman and say the group sex was consensual.

Brian Johnston, the former chief executive of de Belin's club St George Illawarra, told similar stories of the talented footballer who was always willing to welcome new players from complex backgrounds.

'Jack had a natural ability to relax people in his company,' he said.

Erica de Belin, who gave evidence via video link from England, told the Wollongong District Court her brother was a 'walking enigma' in that he is a '100 kg rugby league player' who does yoga, meditates, and practices daily gratitude

NRL star Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong court
He said de Belin showed people warmth, compassion, and was always encouraging, 'even if competing for a similar position'.

Johnston said he never received any reports of misbehaviour or incidents apart from this case, and noted that in nine years of playing professional league de Belin had never been sent off the field.

'One of the role models within our organisation,' he said.

The trial continues.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8968733/Jack-Belin-breaks-tears-rape-trial.html

ALSGI

Bench
Jack de Belin breaks down in tears as his sister describes him as her 'empathetic and compassionate best friend' during his rape trial
  • Erica de Belin said her brother was a 'walking enigma' who does yoga
  • She told a story of him helping an old woman with arthritis by mowing her law
  • De Belin's lip was quivering during much of her evidence before he broke down

PUBLISHED: 13:13 AEDT, 20 November 2020 | UPDATED:
NRL star Jack de Belin began crying as his sister described her empathetic and compassionate 'best friend' to a NSW court.

Erica de Belin, who gave evidence via video link from England, told the Wollongong District Court her brother was a 'walking enigma' in that he is a '100 kg rugby league player' who does yoga, meditates, and practices daily gratitude.

She recalled a story of de Belin helping an old woman with arthritis by mowing her lawn, and waiting around her work so they could ride their bicycles home together to ensure she was safe.

'I think anybody who has spent any time with him knows how good a person he is,' she said.

NRL star Jack de Belin began crying as his sister described her empathetic and compassionate 'best friend' to a NSW court

De Belin's lip was quivering during much of her evidence before he broke down and loud sniffles could be heard throughout the courtroom.

The 29-year-old, and his friend Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated sexual assault in the bedroom of a North Wollongong unit in December.

The jury has previously heard the woman's account that the former NSW State of Origin player undressed her and forced himself on top of her, before Sinclair and he swapped positions multiple times.
She said she was constantly saying 'no' with tears streaming down her face.

But the men deny raping the woman and say the group sex was consensual.

Brian Johnston, the former chief executive of de Belin's club St George Illawarra, told similar stories of the talented footballer who was always willing to welcome new players from complex backgrounds.

'Jack had a natural ability to relax people in his company,' he said.

Erica de Belin, who gave evidence via video link from England, told the Wollongong District Court her brother was a 'walking enigma' in that he is a '100 kg rugby league player' who does yoga, meditates, and practices daily gratitude

NRL star Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong court
He said de Belin showed people warmth, compassion, and was always encouraging, 'even if competing for a similar position'.

Johnston said he never received any reports of misbehaviour or incidents apart from this case, and noted that in nine years of playing professional league de Belin had never been sent off the field.

'One of the role models within our organisation,' he said.

The trial continues.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8968733/Jack-Belin-breaks-tears-rape-trial.html
FMD.
Surprised his pre school teacher didn’t provide a character reference, honestly.
How absolutely irrelevant to the charges.

Gareth67

First Grade
FMD.
Surprised his pre school teacher didn’t provide a character reference, honestly.
How absolutely irrelevant to the charges.

Agree , to my way of thinking character references should only be taken into account if the accused has been found guilty of the charges , whilst the magistrate is deciding upon the appropriate sentence.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
How long does this bloody thing go for anyway? It will nice to see the end of it. At the end of the day I hope the correct decision is made, JDB has a young daughter who I’m sure does not want her dad in jail, his partner is still with him also. This has humiliated him publicly, cost him hundreds of thousands and will haunt him for the rest of his life. IF he is innocent of the assault he has more than paid for sleeping around on his partner. IF he is guilty then by all means throw away the key as far as I’m concerned but they need to be damn sure.

Dorsai

Juniors
It's going to come down to who the Jury believes. Character references will make up a part of that however I am not sure if it will make a difference to the jury in the end.

They will have the state evidence and visual evidence along with her testimony against his and Sinclair. At present in this climate I do not like his chances of getting off.

Although it comes down to he said vs she said, someone is going down for this. If nothing else, all young (and older) players should be having this read to them every night. It's a career and life ender.

Dragon David

First Grade
There are those who want JDB and Sinclair to be not guilty and there are those who want them guilty and there are those who don't give a damn.

At the end of all the giving of evidence and statements etc we know that sexual activity occurred on 9 December 2018 between the three parties and the jury has the task to determine who has been telling the truth on whether it was consensual or otherwise. I think we will know the outcome of this case sometime late next week.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I have no comment on the innocence or guilt of DeBelin and Sinclair and I guess we may find out tomorrow or Tuesday. We, the public are really only getting snippets of info on the case, lets say the more controversial ones. A one page or even half a page 'summary' doesn't fully show the whole days proceedings. However, to make it clear:

The onus or burden of proof lies with the prosecution, they must have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the offences have been committed.

There are several articles dealing with.this notion, here is 1:

https://www.findlaw.com.au/faqs/3670/what-is-meant-by-beyond-reasonable-doubt-in-crimin.aspx

There are also tables explaining the concept of burden of proof (unfortunately I can't download to here), but interestingly the idea of:
Possibly guilty, Probably guilty, Guilt likely and Guilt highly likely.
Any of these have to render a verdict of not-guilty. Basically guilt has to be proven 100%.

If so and the return from the jury is guilty then DeBelin and/or Sinclair will receive the punishment due to them. If innocent (of the charges), then they are free men.

I dont underestimate the decision/s that this jury has to make in the coming days, but i will respect it no matter the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts