What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Ford

Penrose_11

Juniors
New signing. Had a read through some of the old Dragons threads and was rated highly 2019/20 as future captain and SOO player. (Old post snipet below). Then ‘Hook’ took over the team and hasn’t really kicked on. Guessing our new coach has had his fingers in this signing. Hopefully can coach him to his potential

A great resigning who has all the skills and I predict will be a future captain.
Just needs proper coaching.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Looks like a Bailey Sironen 2.0 version. To small to play back row and maybe not skill full enough as a centre. Reports are he pretty quick though

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
New signing. Had a read through some of the old Dragons threads and was rated highly 2019/20 as future captain and SOO player. (Old post snipet below). Then ‘Hook’ took over the team and hasn’t really kicked on. Guessing our new coach has had his fingers in this signing. Hopefully can coach him to his potential

Just needs proper coaching.
Never been our strong suit...let's hope that changes under Webster.
Oh great, another journeyman Australian league player is just what the Warriors and league in NZ needs.
Is there anything coming through our pathways that is worth looking at instead?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
In the Ando/Cleary periods we made some VERY astute journeyman signings. I’ve got no issue with that.
We’re not Penrith with limitless juniors (though we should be), and we’ll never be Melbourne or the Chooks and be able to build a champion squad with acquisitions

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
In the Ando/Cleary periods we made some VERY astute journeyman signings. I’ve got no issue with that.
We’re not Penrith with limitless juniors (though we should be), and we’ll never be Melbourne or the Chooks and be able to build a champion squad with acquisitions
Unfortunately that's a long way from happening. You say we should be because of our player base, the potential in the Maori/Polynesian kids, the ones who get missed and go over the Tasman etc. Totally get it. But forget the player base, it's the coaching base that is the issue. The juniors that don't go to Australia and are developed over here, just have massive holes in them in terms of their skill set and preparedness to be quality NRL players. I can't see that ever changing until we get it right at the Warriors, and it's going to take someone with a lot more acumen than Cameron George and Mark Robinson to oversee that. Until we get these kids into a good system where they come in at 12-13 and have quality coaching and meaningful experience week in week out (as exists in Australia) we are no show. Until then, we have to take Hail Marys in terms of people like Jackson Ford, or we sign people like Reece Walsh who inevitably drift back where they came from.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That’s why I said SHOULD be. We have the raw material but we have almost no structure to develop it. We’re like a poor third world country with huge natural resources that just gets plundered by foreign mining companies instead of developing its own industry.

Blair

Coach
That’s why I said SHOULD be. We have the raw material but we have almost no structure to develop it. We’re like a poor third world country with huge natural resources that just gets plundered by foreign mining companies instead of developing its own industry.
The Upper Volta of the NRL I love that analogy!

Rich102

Staff member
Unfortunately that's a long way from happening. You say we should be because of our player base, the potential in the Maori/Polynesian kids, the ones who get missed and go over the Tasman etc. Totally get it. But forget the player base, it's the coaching base that is the issue. The juniors that don't go to Australia and are developed over here, just have massive holes in them in terms of their skill set and preparedness to be quality NRL players. I can't see that ever changing until we get it right at the Warriors, and it's going to take someone with a lot more acumen than Cameron George and Mark Robinson to oversee that. Until we get these kids into a good system where they come in at 12-13 and have quality coaching and meaningful experience week in week out (as exists in Australia) we are no show. Until then, we have to take Hail Marys in terms of people like Jackson Ford, or we sign people like Reece Walsh who inevitably drift back where they came from.
I know it's the ARL's job and not the Warrior's but over the Xmas break how about a joint Training course for coaches. Get the coaches of the appropriate grades and school teams. Identify what is required. How it is taught etc. Bring over a couple of Australian assistants or ex-NRL players. Start a register of players worth promoting.
Maybe get sponsorship. Would be great for the kids and may uncover a few kids with potential.

Latest posts